Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car Trouble Slipping Clutch??? Not Sure, Help!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Trouble Slipping Clutch??? Not Sure, Help!

I was driving for 2 hours to NY, car was fine

Got HKS Racing intake installed and small Oddyssy battery installed as well.

Turned the car on and try to drive it, once it reaches like 3000 rpms and the blowoff valve comes in action, the car does not really accelerate at all.

I had a hard time getting to 70 mph. My friend's say it is a SLIPPING CLUTCH and that I need to get a new one. MY CAR IS SORT OF NEW 15,000 miles, but it is my first stick shift car.

I'm ready to buy a new clutch ACT Street disc tomorrow, But before I do i just want to make sure that it is my clutch and I heard my dealership warranty does not cover the clutch. PLEASE HELP AND ASSIST BEFORE I ORDER MY NEW CLUTCH!!! thanks
Old Apr 8, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure that BOV isn't backwards? Who did you have install the Intake cause it sounds like they hooked stuff up wrong putting it back together.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fyu2x
...once it reaches like 3000 rpms and the blowoff valve comes in action, the car does not really accelerate at all.
What? You mean "...once it reaches like 3000 rpms and the turbo comes in action, the car does not really accelerate at all."

Regardless, here's a couple of things.

First, put the car in 5th gear at about 40 MPH. Hold that speed for a few seconds and then floor it without downshifting. Watch the tachometer rise as well as the spedometer. Keep in the throttle until you are around 4000 RPM's, or about 80 MPH. If the tachometer doesn't jump up about 500 RPM's or more without a coresponding equavalent rise on the spedometer, then your clutch is fine. Do this two or 3 times if you don't notice anything out of the ordinary the first time.

If the tachometer DOES jump up without the spedometer also progressively increasing as it should, get off the throttle and discontinue the test. The more you beat on it, the worse it will get. Go home and order that new clutch.

If your clutch isn't slipping and the car just has little to no response at WOT while under boost (above 3000 RPM's), you've probably got a very bad boost leak. If I had to guess, the compressor bypass valve (not a blow off valve) is incorrectly installed, or could actually be missing completely. I'd really need some more info about your current situation, including everything you did during the instalation of the intake.

Last edited by 90GSX-03EVO; Apr 8, 2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's probably slipping, but your explanation was poor. If the rpms rise at peak boost without the car accelerating, then later the rpms drop back down when the clutch catches, then you know the clutch is slipping.

Do the test that 90GSX gave you.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 07:01 PM
Former Vendor

boy one thread isnt good enough for you...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...archid=4819851
Old Apr 9, 2007, 09:32 AM

do you have a boost gauge, and if you do is it showing any boost. sounds like a boost leak to me, especially since you said the car was fine before. the battery and intake wouldn't cause a slipping clutch, but putting an intake on could cause a boost leak.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you have a boost gauge? maybe they didn't hook your BCS up to the intake tube.