Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Chalk it up on the board full of these. Another statistic I guess.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may sound silly but play GT4. Turn of stability management, traction control, use simulation tires or stock, and tune the car to about 350-400 hp. Try this again in the game and there is a high probability that you will loose traction and spin the car in an attempt to correct it. The game does this well but it obviously lacks the forces and adrenaline you experience in real life. Drive Safe and good luck.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
This may sound silly but play GT4. Turn of stability management, traction control, use simulation tires or stock, and tune the car to about 350-400 hp. Try this again in the game and there is a high probability that you will loose traction and spin the car in an attempt to correct it. The game does this well but it obviously lacks the forces and adrenaline you experience in real life. Drive Safe and good luck.
Forza motorsport helps in much the same way. Sounds dumb, but it helps you to understand.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 08:34 AM

good point someone else brought up about your experience with AWD vehicles...what were your previous cars FF,FR, etc?

what you precieve as driving under your evo's limit doesn't matter when something like a freak act by nature decides to upset your vehicles balance

the key thing you missed that a few ppl have posted already was you naturally panicked and braked/counter steered

weight transfer

as soon as you left off the gas and hit the brakes all the weight from the rear shifted to your front...hence your rear shook it's butt...and the same time you turned the wheel

as soon as you did that the only way you were going to make it out of the skid was to unwind the wheel even faster than what you initially inputted...which most ppl aren't ready/anticipating this next move hence you spun into the direction of your counter steer

that's why you brake in a straight line...keep the wheel straight

next time point (where you want to go with the steering wheel) and shoot (stay on the gas) if you feel the rear end come loose

learn from this...come back stronger

Last edited by awdcomplex; Apr 16, 2007 at 08:40 AM. Reason: saw another posts
Old Apr 16, 2007, 09:13 AM

I can fully sympathize with the OP and some of the admonishments from the more experienced responders in this thread.

I wrecked mine 3 weeks and 600 miles into the break-in. No hard driving, nice sweeping left-hander, down-hill, a bit off camber, and the rear stepped out, maybe a few feet. This was enough to drop the rear-right into the dirt. Counter-steering the step-out, the RR whipped back onto the tarmac and *hooked-up*. This pushed the car into a nice four-wheel slide, pretty much negating the counter-steer since my slip-angle instantly changed.

If I was on a track with 50-60' side-to-side, I think I could've saved this. As it were, I couldn't steer into the direction of the slide fast enough, and I definitely did not have enough room on the two-laner to adequately correct before I hit a dirt berm, side-swiped 300+yr oak, and slid down the gorge to finally stop against a fallen tree.

Geico totalled and got me a pretty fair settlement. I was out the $5k I put down, and I count my blessings. Photos.

Two weeks later, I'm in my new IX and have a HPDE (in the wet!) under my belt, and I don't carry nearly as much speed into those sweeping off-cambers.

My lesson: HPDE, auto-X, or some sort of formal driving training in the car is an absolute necessity for anyone who wants to explore the lateral-g limits.

Lesson 2: evos are set up to understeer from the factory - great for newish drivers who sometimes creep over the limits of their ability. Not so great when you're being whipped around by the rears.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:20 AM

In reply to some of the questions about how much I've been driving and what I've driven:

I've been on the road for 3 years. 2 of them in a mildly-modified Cavalier (FWD, about 180 hp), and 1 of them in an SRT-4 (FWD, 280 hp, loads of torque that came on really early in revs (300-310 ftlbs or so).

The Evo was my first AWD car, and the fastest car I've driven in terms of upper-revving horsepower - but I am no stranger to alot of torque, because my SRT-4 was a torque monster any day of the week, and it was FWD. Now, I'd assume that saying "Oh I've pushed a fast FWD car before with alot of torque, so if I push a fast AWD car, it'll be easier" but from what I'm reading from some of you guys' replies, this isn't always the case. Not only isn't it easier - its a completely different driving experience - and I think this wreck has definitely opened my eyes to that. Regardless of whether or not I was trying to "fast and furious" tokyo drift the turn - which I wasn't - being inexperienced with an AWD car with plenty of early-come-on torque put me in the woods.

I knew before and after some techniques on how to correct the car (from reading on these boards, playing GT4, etc) but during the heat of the moment and my loads of adrenaline and stress, I was unable to keep composure enough to make good decisions, and I think I can attribute this entirely to inexperience and the lack of a formal driving school, which I will definitely be looking into.

I appreciate the comments guys for those of you who are taking the time to read the post and make some really constructive replies - its good to see we've got some cool *** people on these boards.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nivekk
In reply to some of the questions about how much I've been driving and what I've driven:

I've been on the road for 3 years. 2 of them in a mildly-modified Cavalier (FWD, about 180 hp), and 1 of them in an SRT-4 (FWD, 280 hp, loads of torque that came on really early in revs (300-310 ftlbs or so).

The Evo was my first AWD car, and the fastest car I've driven in terms of upper-revving horsepower - but I am no stranger to alot of torque, because my SRT-4 was a torque monster any day of the week, and it was FWD. Now, I'd assume that saying "Oh I've pushed a fast FWD car before with alot of torque, so if I push a fast AWD car, it'll be easier" but from what I'm reading from some of you guys' replies, this isn't always the case. Not only isn't it easier - its a completely different driving experience - and I think this wreck has definitely opened my eyes to that. Regardless of whether or not I was trying to "fast and furious" tokyo drift the turn - which I wasn't - being inexperienced with an AWD car with plenty of early-come-on torque put me in the woods.

I knew before and after some techniques on how to correct the car (from reading on these boards, playing GT4, etc) but during the heat of the moment and my loads of adrenaline and stress, I was unable to keep composure enough to make good decisions, and I think I can attribute this entirely to inexperience and the lack of a formal driving school, which I will definitely be looking into.

I appreciate the comments guys for those of you who are taking the time to read the post and make some really constructive replies - its good to see we've got some cool *** people on these boards.
I learned to drive stick in a 1985 toyota supra. 5spd, posi-traction rear wheel drive. 170hp/170+ tq n/a. I drove it in the rain(not fun) and in the snow(stupid). That stupid car taught me a lot. It taught me to respect what I didnt understand. It taught me to familiarize myself with my cars before it was too late. I havent had an accident yet. And that car was a mean b@tch for its time. Been driving since 11 years old and legally since 17. 15+ years of driving experience and I still quiver at what could go wrong when I take my IX through a turn. 3+ years riding motorcycles aggressively also. Even the pros crash (cars and bikes). It happens when you push too hard, overestimate yourself, or underestimate your car. It happens when you lack knowledge or are just plain in-experienced. What happened to you in your Evo would not have happened even close to the same way in your Srt-4. That car couldnt teach anything that can be applied to the Evo other than Getting off the throttle under full chassis load with opposite steering would be detrimental to your health. Im glad you are able to take constructive criticism with a smile and realize now what went wrong. I truly believe what happened to you is the #1 reason that people end up upside down in their Evos and STis. Good luck on getting another one and be safe.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

im just gonna go ahead and say it, cause no one has...

GREAT, there goes my damn insurance again!

lol
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

yea that's what did you in....pressing the brakes/releasing the gas induces oversteer....pressing the gas in a corner causes undeersteer...at least your ok
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, I'm glad you are okay as trees and cars don't mix too well.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can feel my insurance premium climbing higher and higher...
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
I can feel my insurance premium climbing higher and higher...
Cool I'm glad you had something useful to say.

You'd think that by expressing my distaste for these kinds of posts in my original post that nobody would say stuff like this, but I guess you don't care.

Oh well.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

I always thought that throttle finds traction with AWD?!!
Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by DSMorBUST
I always thought that throttle finds traction with AWD?!!
Yeah thats what I thought too, ugh. Apparently I was wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe now you can upgrade?

J/K sorry to hear about the crash.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Any parts for sale yet?... lights, lip, anything?

Quick Reply: Chalk it up on the board full of these. Another statistic I guess.