Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

too much attention = car4sale?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol arbi ...actually d00d, for the most part the cops left me alone out there. so did the average person. here its a different story.

i realize a camry would 'blend' in more. but then again, a camry doesnt have the performance. i guess im trying to have my cake, and eat it too.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vortech_g35
Just don't give them a reason to even pull you over.
Said it best right there!
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

I would never sell my Evo for drawing too much attention.

I've only got two tickets in over 11 years of driving:

1. One for letting the parking meter expire
2. The other for no front plate in my Evo.

Like many have said: if you keep your driving habits normal (i.e. don't tailgate people, weave in and out of traffic, spool every other second, and do a BOV salute to everybody you should be OK.

BUT there are parts of NJ (and I'm sure many other suburban/rural areas) where cops can be very **** about our cars; probably because the police have fewer real crimes to deal with than big cities.

I miss living in NYC where the cops could care less what you have on your car for two reasons:

1. Most roads are so pot-hole ridden that it's hard to drive fast.
2. The police have more important things to do like attend to real crime.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by 6-speed; Apr 22, 2007 at 05:21 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is what it is...the Evo draws attention..
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in 2 years only been stopped 3 times and all of which came in the past few months. I lived in Tampa then moved to Ma when it came to getting a sticker I got a big red 'R' and being lazy left it on. the week after getting the rejection I was stopped but the cop I think wanted to check out the car cause he was cool and after said hey get that taken care of cause someoone will get ya. The second same thing the cop said "I stopped you cause your car is modified loud and smells and your windows are prob to dark. I had no cat so he could tell. My rejection at this point was 5 months old haha. the last was on xmas eve. A state tropper stopped me saying it was because I had no front plate I had modified exhuast, a 7 month old rejection sticker dark windows ect ect. he said your lucky im in a good mood but I have to write you up for something. He came back with $30 ticket for no front plate and said its not something that will NOT show up on my insurence and he told me if I was written up on everything it ould have been $350 ouch so I thanked him even though i wasnt happy. Just as I drive away from the tropper he is like "hey , hey, So how fast is this thing anyway, how fast does it go" I laughed at him and said not sure I try not to drive fast and draw more attention to myself. he goes "oh I get it you never go faster than 65 right??" I think he tok my answer the wrong way
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

thats the problem here. theres not alot of real crimes ...so the cops have jack to do.

and no, i dont drive like an ***. i usually get passed by old people. :P
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cops in or around Knoxville seem to go for the smaller fish, mainly civics. I've had cops tail me every once and a while, but not for very long. I do get a lot of attention from people, since it seems to be everybodies favorite car. There has been only one person to rev on me, and it was a jacked up Ford quad cab but when he did rev it sounded like he had a massive turbo under the hood. There again, this town is all about its rednecks and its trucks.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:19 PM

I thought about selling because of the unwanted attention, but I decided to go the wingless route first to see any difference. So far, everything has been good.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Malick67
looking into getting my inter cooler painted black.
I am sure it's already been said - but I would advise against this.

As for cops and idiots... I had one dude get in a road-rage fit over me passing him at 60 in a 50mph road - he cut me off twice, once when I was trailing a car with 1.5 car lengths between me and the car in front of me. So I reported him - not that I think it did anything.

Granted, right before that, a state cop pulled out of a spot he was chilling at, and followed me for about 2 miles, and this guy who cut me off pulled into my lane (re: I was doing 55-58, in a 50) and dropped to 45mph. That irk'd me, but I let it go because he was probably panicing with the State boy there.

Typically, just don't drive like an idiot. And if a cop does pull behind you/follows you, don't tap your breaks - because then you're just giving them a reason to be suspicious of you. I find it's best to maintain your speed - glance, but don't stare - and continue on your way. As for the idiots revving you, ignore them. I find it hard to believe that there are more than 5% of the cars out there that could even remotely hang with a stock Evo. Let alone a slightly modded/properly tuned Evo.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

This is the price you have to pay for driving a nice car. Try an exotic out, it only gets worse. I used to have a 355 and every time I parked it, some one would spit on it. With my Lotus Esprit TT, I would get race by minivans, not so bad with a GT3/GT2 because they look like every other Porsche on the road to most people. But EVERYwhere you go with these cars, people start driving like idiots around you which is really annoying. Knock on wood, I have never been bothered by a cop in an exotic and the one time I rolled into a neighborghood speed trap, they wrote my for 5 miles slower than my actual speed and reduced the ticket to 0 points in court (I guess they were amused by an open cockpit car with no windshield and a driver wearing a helmet).

Anyway, I think it has to do with general attitude, etc. I let those boy racers making fools of themselves and speed off alone. I also make it a habbit to not drive fast around other cars or weave through traffic.

Good luck and don't sell the car!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

i get the engine rev all the time. chicks stare at me all the time (wife hates this i got caught smiling back once).

Cops really dont mess with us too much casue they know the car club were in. and were pretty much respected by the police casue we dont do stupid ****.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by *chris*
just curious if anyone here has sold their car due to TOO MUCH attention? 90% of the cops love to find an excuse to pull me over and i cant leave the house without some ******* wanting to start something. or the countless stares from everyone else.
I know how you feel. Its kinda cool at first... its nice when all the chicks are staring at you and all the ricer boys are reving at you. But after 3 years, this **** gets old. I'm definitely tired of the all the extra attention from the pigs and Honda kids. Not tired enough to sell my car, but it definitely gets old.