Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo's real HP...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2003, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
because there is so much fuzzy math surrounding drivetrain losses who can calculate that 218whp is equall to or more than the 271 crank horsepower quoted by if it is certain that it is under the manufacturers claimed power then you would have some grounds for compensation....a difference of 20whp is huge when you consider crank hp will be 35-40hp difference...or that of a stock WRX if you prefer it in those terms I am glad I had mine dynoed because now I know mine is a slow one and it will benefit a great deal with new cam timing, or aftermarket cams...one thing I would suggest is to have your cars dynoed...before moding them to be sure you are not starting on the wrong foot.........

Last edited by limey; Jun 13, 2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dynoing won't tell you crap unless you dyno another Evo on the same dyno to tell you if your car is higher or lower. And even then it still won't tell you much because conditions may have been such that you were getting knock that particular day, and the other guy wasn't.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

the only way to figure out if the Evo makes 271 or not is too pull the motor an put it on a engine dyno...trying to find the crank power from WHP is pointless
Old Jun 13, 2003, 03:42 PM

I recently went to shiv's place and had a Stage 0 installed we first ran baseline on my car which is stock and was running 91 octane. My car ran a consistant 202 which was 1 hp more than the SSC magazine car... Go figure. They were pretty happy to see an off the lot car run the same as a mag car. Needless to say I was happy
Old Jun 13, 2003, 03:48 PM

If anyone is considering the Vishnu Stage 0, I can tell you I love it. More than just HP numbers the power band is fantastic... Shiv does a great job smoothing out the lumps and extending the power band. I got lucky with my car and with 91 octane was able to can 20 WHP. But even more pleasing is the power we all feel from 3000 to say 5000 is now 3000 to 7000.. And with a 93octane blend (91 plus 3 gallons of 101) it starts scrambling for traction off the line without any launch tactics.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

how much does this stage 0 upgrade cost, and where can i get one? Is it possible to get a group buy going?
Old Jun 13, 2003, 04:08 PM

VishnuTuning.com The guys are great and so is the product.. 1600.00
Old Jun 13, 2003, 05:38 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Shiv knows the real deal on the horsepower problems, if there is indeed a problem, but he's not talking.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Twell
I recently went to shiv's place and had a Stage 0 installed we first ran baseline on my car which is stock and was running 91 octane. My car ran a consistant 202 which was 1 hp more than the SSC magazine car... Go figure. They were pretty happy to see an off the lot car run the same as a mag car. Needless to say I was happy
Twell, is your car from California?
Old Jun 13, 2003, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

nobody knows....
Old Jun 13, 2003, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Twell
My point exactly.....was it not Shiv that posted his evo got 180whp on his dyno....you have to admit the difference is there on 91 and the same dyno....I am sure Shiv would agree....

Last edited by limey; Jun 13, 2003 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 06:27 PM

yes my car is from California... Shiv noted that my car was able to handle a lot more timing than all of the cars he had tuned before me.. We ended with 220.5 on 91 octane and the Stage 0 package.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here is one reason the dyno could be reading low, this is from the AU site who I believe makes dyno dynamics dynos. This is off their FAQ section. Sorry don't know much on this topic..

Low Boost
Frequently the maximum boost achieved on the dynamometer is less than the boost achieved on road.

Holden Independent Rear Suspension
I don't usually experience traction problems or rubber with most vehicles, but even low powered IRS equipped vehicles can sometimes produce rubber.

http://www.dyno.com.au/faqcust.html
Old Jun 13, 2003, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

considering all this talk about engine dynoing, why doesn't someone find an engine out of one of the wrecked or flipped evos and tear its engine out? i mean, those cars are more or less useless now anyways, so why not take the parts for testing? i forget his name, but the one guy who's wife flipped his evo, i'm sure his engine is still in decent shape to be dynoed. why don't we try something like that? i'm sure if shiv or any of the other shops asks around for an engine for testing, i'm sure they'd be given one, or sold one for cheap.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 09:06 PM
Account Disabled

It is a Turbo car, it will never make the same power twice, heat and airflow are BIG factors and almost never produce the same numbers. Given that the car isn't getting the airflow it needs on thje Dyno (that fan is NOT the same) and timing will yank easier then anything with these cars as well.

Just get a boost controller and SAFC, you will see POWER, TTT

Quick Reply: Evo's real HP...