Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo's real HP...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2003, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RaX
Shiv knows the real deal on the horsepower problems, if there is indeed a problem, but he's not talking.
What HP problem? There is no problem. Read all the mag tests and look at what people are posting when they head to the track, especially with a few mods (AMS and Pruven cars come to mind.)

Don't be led to believe by a vendor that this car is not up to snuff to sell you the "magic answer," because that is simply not the case.

The EVO is all that and a bag of chips.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

I think, my friend, ....you have not been following...there is definitely a wide difference in stock power from one evo to the next....I have seen it first hand......
Old Jun 14, 2003, 06:47 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ImportPePe

The most commonly used dyno in the US, the Dynojet, read around 240-250 at the wheels, which, when you use AWD drivetrain losses into account, it is well over the 271hp rating Mitsubishi has said. Besides, there's no way a 3260lb vehicle with 271hp can do low to mid 13's, can it? It has to be underrated.
I have yet to see a stock EVO post 250HP on a Dynojet AWD Dyno. Stock numbers posted with 93 octane are between 220-240.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 06:57 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by umiami80
It is a Turbo car, it will never make the same power twice, heat and airflow are BIG factors and almost never produce the same numbers. Given that the car isn't getting the airflow it needs on thje Dyno (that fan is NOT the same) and timing will yank easier then anything with these cars as well.
I made three back-to back runs on an AWD Dynojet to establish my stock baseline before adding mods. Running 93 octane, first run was 240.1, followed by 230.3, followed by 235.1. Runs one and two were separated by six minutes during which time the car remained idling. Runs two and three were separated by only 45 seconds. A/F ratios were significantly different on each run with the first being the least rich.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 07:03 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MrEvo

What HP problem? There is no problem. Read all the mag tests and look at what people are posting when they head to the track, especially with a few mods (AMS and Pruven cars come to mind.)
If there is no problem how do you account for documented WHP differences of up to 20HP posted by different stock EVOs on the same day on the same dyno using the same octane?

It's not a problem unless yours is the one that's down 21HP!
Old Jun 14, 2003, 07:09 PM

Evo looks better . In the hp question in Japan there is a restriction about hp ( 276hp max) that's why Skylines , Evos , other have the same hp ; in fact they have more hp and of course in the U.S. there are restrictions. If you live in a place where you cannot have enough fun in a car buy the sti , if the cops dont care get an Evo. Also you decide , it's your taste , for me get the EVO., Mitsus
Old Jun 15, 2003, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jfh

If there is no problem how do you account for documented WHP differences of up to 20HP posted by different stock EVOs on the same day on the same dyno using the same octane?

It's not a problem unless yours is the one that's down 21HP!
That would be me!!!!
Old Jun 15, 2003, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by greenlancer
Evo looks better . In the hp question in Japan there is a restriction about hp ( 276hp max) that's why Skylines , Evos , other have the same hp ; in fact they have more hp and of course in the U.S. there are restrictions. If you live in a place where you cannot have enough fun in a car buy the sti , if the cops dont care get an Evo. Also you decide , it's your taste , for me get the EVO., Mitsus
What????