Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is this a crock???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"It's not a first year run... quit waiting and go get an Evo"

I know it's not a first year run, my brother has an EVO4 rally racecar (group N tarmac only), so I am quite familiar with that fact. I have to say, b) was a non argument on my part, just a reason not to get my feet wet... Thanks for all the feedback.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Dealers will say anything sometimes just to get you to purchase the car right then and there.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by evo1

I agree but then why did discontinue its flagship sportscar 3000GT ...

I sometimes think the same of the the mid ninties Supra ... man that car was/is bad ***! I assume that insurance premiums were sick to for a 6cyl. twin-t .... anybody
If I remember correctly the 3000GT/Stealth, 300ZX, RX-7, and Supra all suffered the same fate. Notice they all were discontinued in the US within about 2 years of each other. What was said to have happened is they were in the same price range as the booming SUV market. In other words the majority of the buyers when comparing price opted for the $30-40K SUV over the those similarly priced twin turbo beauties!
Old Jun 13, 2003, 01:57 AM
Evolved Member

someone mentioned the Focus...?

that's the Cosworth baby... 300+hp AWD... and it looks pretty ****in viscous...
Old Jun 13, 2003, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Diesel
someone mentioned the Focus...?

that's the Cosworth baby... 300+hp AWD... and it looks pretty ****in viscous...
Since when was the Focus 300+bhp.... unless you're referring to the WRC car?
Old Jun 13, 2003, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by hornet

If I remember correctly the 3000GT/Stealth, 300ZX, RX-7, and Supra all suffered the same fate. Notice they all were discontinued in the US within about 2 years of each other. What was said to have happened is they were in the same price range as the booming SUV market. In other words the majority of the buyers when comparing price opted for the $30-40K SUV over the those similarly priced twin turbo beauties!

Bingo! That is correct. SUV's popularity was just beginning when those car's were eliminated from the maker's line-up (here in US). No one at the time was willing to pay $40k+ for a sports car. The lack of sales eventually discontined production of those car for us here in the US. SUV's boom happend around 94-present. You have to remember, the last year of the Supra ('98), only 300 made it to the United States. And the RX-7...it lasted a whooping 3 years. Also, remember the MR-2? I think the couple years for that car were in the hundreds.

here's the list of extinction.

300zx no clue, don't know the last year.
RX-7 '95 being the last year
Supra '98
3000gt no idea...somewhere in 2000
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

I am not going to buy a color TV until they perfect it.

It is getting boring reading peoples excuses for not buy an Evolution.

It is the best performance car for the money(period)

If you don't have the $$$$ that's cool, all of reasons are not cool.

Listen to Evolution owners. I have not seen ANY buyers remorse yet.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by evoorsti

here's the list of extinction.

300zx no clue, don't know the last year.
RX-7 '95 being the last year
Supra '98
3000gt no idea...somewhere in 2000
Don't forget about the 240SX. Not a super high performance car stock, but a fun piece none the less. I had a '98, the last year built, and it was a blast. Not the fastest thing out there, but man was it fun to drive. Also, don't forget the Prelude. Not a real high profile car, but a great performer none the less. Here are the last years for the cars and some numbers.......

240SX - 1998 / ??? Sold, not many, in the low 100s
300ZX - 1996 / 408 sold
Supra - 1998 / 1237 sold
RX-7 - 1995 / 511 sold
3000GT - 1999 / 3267 sold
Prelude - 2001 / ??? sold, not many, in the very low 1000s

Like people said, all of those cars just started to get priced out of their intended markets budget realm. All of the big guys were now up in the $40k range. And the 240 and Prelude were getting into the mid-high $20k range. All of those cars just couldn't be built, shipped over here to the US, and sold cheaply for any sort of profit to justify sale. It just couldn't happen back then. Its nice to see that companys are getting back to making fun cars that aren't so out of reach for most of us enthusiats. The Mazdaspeed, the SRT, the RX8, the Z, the Evo, the WRX and STi, the S2000, the RSX. All great cars that won't totally break the bank. Its nice to see that those companys still know what making fun cars is all about.

Hilg
Old Jun 14, 2003, 07:28 AM

What is the RalliArt chip about what does it do for the car.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

At the time I left - about a month ago - no announcement had been made about a 04' model Evolution. I suspect that it will be back, but not in numbers any larger than this year (which for the 1,345,265th time is 4,600 units, not 6,500). My own personal opinion is that given the current economic conditions, that number of Evo's plus the 3000 or so STi's more than saturates the market for this kind of car. I don't know who ford expects to sell their fancy Foci too once that car arrives because everyone who wants a street legal rally car AND CAN AFFORD ONE will already have one by then.

BTW - I suspect very strongly that the Evolution is not a money making proposition for Mitsubishi. That's not its purpose.