Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is this a crock???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2003, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this a crock???

I was at the local mitsu dealership today, where they have a couple of EVOs left. I really loved the white one they had, and the salesperson was nice and chatted with me about the price, etc... They had it for sale at 30,850 or something close, which seemed reasonable.

I asked if EVOs will be produced next year as well, because I plan on a) having a larger deposit, b) not buying a first year run, c) waiting for a potential RalliArt chip... He tells me that the EVO is a limited run, and that he wasn't sure that they were going to continue production next year for the US...

Now, is this a crock of s#!t? Or should I really consider this comment as somewhat serious?

Thanks for your feedback.

Steev.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

they should, why wouldn't there be a IX
Old Jun 12, 2003, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

yea whats the word on the ralliart chip?
Old Jun 12, 2003, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Kazoo's1st Evo8
yea whats the word on the ralliart chip?
There is no "word" ... it's all rumors. My local manager told me today that Hypertech will have a chip out for us soon ... but I'm pretty sure that most hypertech stuff is a generic program ... not sure if it will be a chip or power programmer though. The chips are usually plug and play and the programmer allows you to program your own settings. So basically everything that is out so far -- reflashes (RMR now and WorksRally very soon), piggybacks (Vishnu), and air/fuel controllers (S-AFR, S-AFC) are all aftermarket. Chalk Hypertech up as anotha one in the workin.'
Old Jun 12, 2003, 06:31 PM

it would be in 's best interest to make them next year and many years after that. Car manufacturers are not stupid. If a car sells well and makes them money then they why the hell would they stop? What car manufacturer doesn't like to make money?

That salesmen is just trying to get you to buy that car right now...he doesn't know anymore about what will do next year than you do. Don't be a dumb mindless consumer. Use Subaru as a template for what will do, because so far they have followed Subaru's lead.

Wait till you can afford it dude...overwhelming debt is not the answer.

Old Jun 12, 2003, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Is this a crock???

Originally posted by stephane
He tells me that the EVO is a limited run, and that he wasn't sure that they were going to continue production next year for the US... Now, is this a crock of s#!t? Or should I really consider this comment as somewhat serious?
Now this is strange because just today, my local sales manager told me that this will be the ONLY year that the evo will be sold in U.S. He wasn't sure why, but he said that he was told this from the top and supposedly wants to keep this car as very limted production. I wrote this off as total nonsense ... but now, hmmmmmmmm ... nah still don't believe it.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 06:36 PM

I call bull**** on any salesman that tries to tell you this. It's common sense! won't let Subaru OWN this market like they have for the past 2 years.

Wake up people.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by disco
it would be in 's best interest to make them next year and many years after that. Car manufacturers are not stupid. If a car sells well and makes them money then they why the hell would they stop? What car manufacturer doesn't like to make money?
I agree but then why did discontinue its flagship sportscar 3000GT ...

I sometimes think the same of the the mid ninties Supra ... man that car was/is bad ***! I assume that insurance premiums were sick to for a 6cyl. twin-t .... anybody
Old Jun 12, 2003, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by disco
I call bull**** on any salesman that tries to tell you this. It's common sense! won't let Subaru OWN this market like they have for the past 2 years.

Wake up people.
I agree ... sales manager is probably hoping that I'll tell everybody this so they come running into buy his only one on the lot that has a $3500 premium. Still we all know that stranger things have happened. IMO .... they will introduce an improved version of the 8 or call it a 9. RalliArt version maybe.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by evo1

I agree but then why did discontinue its flagship sportscar 3000GT ...

I sometimes think the same of the the mid ninties Supra ... man that car was/is bad ***! I assume that too insurance was sick on a 6cyl. twin-t .... anybody
Those cars went out at about the same time after years of success. The 4cyl. turbo AWD is what's hot now. This is only the beginning. VW has that R32 coming out, Mazda is putting a turbo on their Protoge, Subaru brought the STi, etc. On top of all that, the WRC is growing in popularity and is finding a fresh new audience that has been plauged with the virus that is NASCAR for years here in America.

They are here to stay for a while guys. Don't sweat it. These dealers know it too, they are just trying to get as much money as they can for the ones they have now before they have 10 unsold EVO's on the lot.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

It's not in Mitsu best interests to spend all that marketing $$ and training the Mitsu service managers just so that they can sell the Evo for 1 year in the US.

The reason why you're hearing the Evo is going to be the last is that Mitsu withdrew from WRC participation this year and there are rumors that the next car fielded will be a Colt instead of a Lancer. The smaller cars are doing better in WRC (Focus WRC, 206 WRC etc) and Mitsu may be forced to use a smaller car like the Colt to be competitive there.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

There are some rumblings that Ford may bring over the European AWD turbo Focus sometime in the near future. The market is increasing and I believe this is just the start. and Subaru could be the next Ford/Chevy battle since that does not exist anymore.

I would find it strange that would only bring it here for a year. That does not make very good sense if they can sell them.

The Supra and 3000 I believe were too much money for most people. They were very expensive cars in their day.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

i was told thet are going to have more next year also , but they are going to limit the amount brought to the US like they did this year
Old Jun 12, 2003, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

6500 per year according to my regional manager. And given this is mitsubishi's "halo" car, no way would they go the the time and expense of redesigning the car to pass us spec, training all the staff, marketing etc etc... I'm sure they will loose money on the evo program the first year even including the extra non evo sales generated by the buzz and traffic. I'm sure this is a couple year roi model.

Tell those fu..rs to put down the crack pipe before you have to powderpimp slap there b!tch@ss's
Old Jun 12, 2003, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Is this a crock???

Originally posted by stephane
I asked if EVOs will be produced next year as well, because I plan on a) having a larger deposit, b) not buying a first year run, c) waiting for a potential RalliArt chip...
It's not a first year run... quit waiting and go get an Evo