Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me Diagnose This!!! (56k NO WAY)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2007, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me Diagnose This!!! (56k NO WAY)

Hey Everyone,

I've taken my car to the dealership and when the tech is in the car it never makes the noise, so I took some video of me driving out here.

You have to turn the sound on your speakers up quite a bit to hear the sound. It's a high pitched fluttering noise. You can hear it the most when I slow to a stop. The best thing to do is turn your head so that your ear is facing your speakers and if you listen carefully enough you can hear it. Listen for when I stop in both videos and you'll hear the chirping noise slowing down and when I get below 5mph it stops completely.

If anyone could help me get an idea of what this might be, that would be awesome.

Video with the windows open (30 Seconds)

Video with the windows closed (1:30)

Thanks in advance...

turb0z
Old Apr 27, 2007, 06:42 PM

i can hear the bird

Mods
APS TBE
BLITZ OPEN TOP KIT
BLITZ EBC
GSC 272I/272E CAMS
AMS INTERCOOLER
AMS LICP
255 LPH
AMS CUSTOM FLASH
319AWHP
290AWTQ
21PSI
93OCT
Old Apr 27, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't click on the video, but maybe you BOV (if it's aftermarket) could be leaking, or set to soft, or installed backwards.
what are your mods to the car?
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Bone Stock. The only thing that I've done is flash the car and the sound was there prior to the flash.

I also took two friends out to dinner tonight and the sound actually lessens when passengers are in the car. This might be the reason why when I had the techs from the dealership go in the car the sound isn't as loud.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

lol the sound sounds like crickets, maybe this will help people figure out what they're listening to
you can mainly hear the sound at the end when it slows down on the first vid, I have no idea what that is

actually, now that I think of it, it reminds me of those ghost things that I used to play with on halloween that make those oeOeOeeOeoooeeeOoeeeooOeo noises

Last edited by hksevoix; Apr 27, 2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think its your brake ducts... or, thats a start of a death whine

Last edited by Clutchdc5; Apr 27, 2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Well, it doesn't occur when it's wet, hotter outside (over 50 degrees) and when the car has more occupants than myself. I'm uploading a third movie right now. It's a faster speed with the windows open, you can actually here it pretty well near the end of the movie... it doesn't stop when I apply brake pedal pessure either. I can take the car completely out of gear and let the car roll down the street and it still occurs. In fact, the times when you hear the sound the most is when I'm letting the engine idle and the car coast.

I'll post a link when it's done uploading.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Here's the video:

Longer Video with Windows Open
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:29 PM
Former Vendor

its prob. one of your weather seals... do the dollar trick through the seals... thats all i got..
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Its your car trying to talk to you. Thats why its not as loud when there is a passanger in the car because your car is shy around other people!!

Last edited by josep1001; Apr 27, 2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

damn dude...sounds kinda weird....maybe check your brakes man even tho it still makes noise when you dont apply the brakes just check it maybe the brake is rubbing against the rotor...if not then i dont know...but get a friend to drive it and let you watch and listen to the car on the outside and maek him drive real close to you to almost dead stop and listen to where the sound is coming from...might help alot
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

I can't be sure of the noise your hearing. Mostly in the 2 first vids, I hear road noise, bumps, etc. From what you're saying:
Out of gear or in gear = noise (not transfer case)

Wet, hot outside = no noise
Check your brake pads. Take the front wheels off, turn the steering wheel to the side, inspect your pads to see how much you have left. Could be nearing metal-to-metal contact from the pads to the rotor. Which will whine almost all the time - wet may take the whine away, and heat may do the same.

Edit:
Just listened to your 3rd vid. Doesn't sound like a high pitch, but sounds like brakes to me. Are the rotors scored at all? Take your fingernail, and drag it from the ID to the OD of the rotor - should be smooth [make sure rotors aren't hot ]
Grooves can act funny, and clear up with thermal expansion or become worse from expansion.

Last edited by 56Hotrod; Apr 27, 2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:50 PM

*Sounds* alot like a bad clutch release bearing. Does it go away when you press on the clutch?
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turb0z-MR
...I can take the car completely out of gear and let the car roll down the street and it still occurs.
Doubt it is clutch related due to this.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

How about the dust guards behind the rotors. Look to see if they are close to rubbing. Maybe even move them away from the rotor.

Quick Reply: Help me Diagnose This!!! (56k NO WAY)