Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

390 wheel hp - getting there

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mister2zx3

The fastest car owners I know don't waste their time in front of computers.

So whats your excuse???
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

What Competitors?

Bracket Racing? You're racing yourself!
I was still the fastest evo there by almost a full second
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Also stripped and 103 octane tuned drag radialed cars are all well and good, but most owners aren't looking for that.

I've found what I would be very happy with when I pick up an Evo and change a few parts. With a very modest budget, making ~325 whp on pump gas and able to run low 12s is more than adequate for the road courses I frequent and run around on. Plus it's still quiet, just as docile as stock around town, but with plenty of grunt when the petal goes down.

If you are shooting for some Guinness record of the quickest 2003 Evo VIII or something you've got a ways to go, but good luck.
My car has full interior - stock tires and a over 100 lb car audio set up -- - - I'll be happy to smoke you on the drag strip and then give you a few lessons on your favorite road course - - its a misconception to ASSume that just becuase a awd turbo car is quick in the 1/4 it cant handle
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you using nitrous? Is that a stock head? Are you running stock cams?

I saw nitrous hooked to your car. The nitrous was plummed right in to the upper intercooler pipe.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Blitz118, I don't see any nitrous setup on his IC pipe (see image below), and I think he's already stated that he's not running it. I'm also betting he's using the 272 cams since he's pretty much following the Pruven setup. I imagine he's probably already experimenting with water / alcohol injection and probably the larger intercooler. No earth shattering stuff here, just good ol' DSM recipes.

Alfriedsq, I'm not a closet hater - I just want to know what mods are working and providing the best bang for the buck. Since you have no qualm {repeatedly} stating that you have the fastest setup, you are *THE* guy to pay attention to. C'mon dude, spill it

Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AvatarOfWar
[B]Blitz118, I don't see any nitrous setup on his IC pipe (see image below), and I think he's already stated that he's not running it. I'm also betting he's using the 272 cams since he's pretty much following the Pruven setup. I imagine he's probably already experimenting with water / alcohol injection and probably the larger intercooler. No earth shattering stuff here, just good ol' DSM recipes.

Alfriedsq, I'm not a closet hater - I just want to know what mods are working and providing the best bang for the buck. Since you have no qualm {repeatedly} stating that you have the fastest setup, you are *THE* guy to pay attention to. C'mon dude, spill it [QUOTE]

Where you at Englishtown yesterday? His engine bay does not look like that any more. I saw a ZEX nitrous kit on his car yesterday.

Last edited by blitz118; Jun 15, 2003 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blitz118
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by AvatarOfWar
Blitz118, I don't see any nitrous setup on his IC pipe (see image below), and I think he's already stated that he's not running it. I'm also betting he's using the 272 cams since he's pretty much following the Pruven setup. I imagine he's probably already experimenting with water / alcohol injection and probably the larger intercooler. No earth shattering stuff here, just good ol' DSM recipes.

Alfriedsq, I'm not a closet hater - I just want to know what mods are working and providing the best bang for the buck. Since you have no qualm {repeatedly} stating that you have the fastest setup, you are *THE* guy to pay attention to. C'mon dude, spill it

Where you at Englishtown yesterday? His engine bay does not look like that any more. I saw a ZEX nitrous kit on his car yesterday.
He is right the pciture is very old school al - - things are changing rapidly - i will post up some pictures of the new set up on my web page or here if that claudious dude can chill out
Old Jun 15, 2003, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
I was still the fastest evo there by almost a full second

You were definitely the fast EVO there yesterday, but none of the other EVOs had nowhere near the modifications like you have on your car.

BTW the fastest four door Japanese sedan there was a Galant VR4 belonging to Nate Pharr. Nate’s Galant also won the Mitsubishi quick class yesterday with a best time of 11.4@123 without the use of nitrous.

Nate's Galant VR4:

http://66.227.32.179/gallery/view_ph...03&id=IMG_1900

http://66.227.32.179/gallery/view_ph...03&id=IMG_1902
Old Jun 15, 2003, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Booo nitrous doesn't count. So, you got schooled by an old school Mitsubishi! And he wasn't even juicing? Props to the fellas that choose to pursue true horspower. Damn, you couldn't even break into the 11's on juice? AMS is sitting at a 12 flat without it. I think that Pruven's dyno must be way out of calibration, as Claudius suspects. Because AMS's car is only putting 350 to the wheels, but they are running faster times.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BADWRX
Booo nitrous doesn't count. So, you got schooled by an old school Mitsubishi! And he wasn't even juicing? Props to the fellas that choose to pursue true horspower. Damn, you couldn't even break into the 11's on juice? AMS is sitting at a 12 flat without it. I think that Pruven's dyno must be way out of calibration, as Claudius suspects. Because AMS's car is only putting 350 to the wheels, but they are running faster times.
Hey man, no reason to jump all over him yet - he hasn't said he's using nitrous, and faster ET's are the result of environment, track prep, traction, and the skill of the monkey behind the wheel. Most of us are looking for really strong street performance, and mph is a better measurement to analyze for that purpose.

Don't diss the Evo because he's not in 11's and an old is... there are plenty of ugly Pinto's with 2.3 turbo's running 9's and 10's as well. The Evo is a complete package

Like it or not, the fastest cars in racing are running nitrous. It's just not a good alternative for us street abusers who only see a day of track-time once every couple months.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by blitz118

You were definitely the fast EVO there yesterday, but none of the other EVOs had nowhere near the modifications like you have on your car.

BTW the fastest four door Japanese sedan there was a Galant VR4 belonging to Nate Pharr. Nate’s Galant also won the Mitsubishi quick class yesterday with a best time of 11.4@123 without the use of nitrous.

Nate's Galant VR4:

http://66.227.32.179/gallery/view_ph...03&id=IMG_1900

http://66.227.32.179/gallery/view_ph...03&id=IMG_1902
That gallant was one bad *** car!!!!
Old Jun 15, 2003, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BADWRX
Whatever man ! Before long I will be in the high 10's - thats my goal - these are all baby steps at this point - learning the car and working with my budget

As for AMS - major props to them - they are real cool - i love thier car !! But if you look at the video - it was run at night IF I was attempting to set any records - a cool - dry night would be my time - but alas - I was trying to win a shootout and I came in 2nd place in my class - the day was hot and not good for records - - did you ever consider I may have tuned down my car to run 12.00 and higher that day to avoid breaking into 11's on a very hot day ???? My track will throw me out for the year if I do two runs in the 11's without a cage

In due time I will be there
Old Jun 15, 2003, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Whatever man ! Before long I will be in the high 10's - thats my goal - these are all baby steps at this point - learning the car and working with my budget

As for AMS - major props to them - they are real cool - i love thier car !! But if you look at the video - it was run at night IF I was attempting to set any records - a cool - dry night would be my time - but alas - I was trying to win a shootout and I came in 2nd place in my class - the day was hot and not good for records - - did you ever consider I may have tuned down my car to run 12.00 and higher that day to avoid breaking into 11's on a very hot day ???? My track will throw me out for the year if I do two runs in the 11's without a cage

In due time I will be there
The Nate's Galant ran his quickest time yesterday, so the heat didn't seem to effect his times.

If you were spraying nitrous and with that giant front mount intercooler the heat shouldn't effect you that much.

If your going to run a summer slam in July the weather is going to be even hotter. Good luck though.

What size shot of nitrous are you running?
Old Jun 15, 2003, 07:35 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TearItUpSports

If you want to know what he is running, just see what he has for sale next week, when he totally revamps his setup again ...LOL
Old Jun 15, 2003, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

He is the kind of guy that has a hard time admitting that he is squeezing nitrous. He may or may not admit it, but if a dude saw his car full of Zex bottles, odds are he was running it.

I don't know why he keeps it in the dark. He did the same thing with his WRX when he broke into the 11's. Was really hush hush when referring to the nitrous question. Finally he admitted it.

I just have more respect for a car that it tuned the hard way, extracting every pony possible before slapping some bottles on.