Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cleanest routing of 4 ga. cable to amp in trunk??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2003, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleanest routing of 4 ga. cable to amp in trunk??

Just got my new white EVO on Monday.

And.....

Cars great, but this stereo blows !

So i will be installing a JL 300/4 amp and MB Quart Component front speakers with 2-way boston rear speakers. The HU will be swapped for an Alpine.

Couple questions for some of you that probably have done this already.

1. What is cleanest way to run 4 gage cable from the battery to the trunk to power the amp? where did you go through the firewall? What path did you take through the passenger compartment?

2. Anyone remove the tweeters in the C-pillar rail yet and replace with aftermarket? how does it come off?

3. I noticed the antenna is amplified. Does this present any problems when connecting the new HU?

Thats it for now, just thought I would ask some questions before I start this project on monday when all my stuff arrives.

Still in break-in with the car, but loving it

Appreciate any help from to these questions for those that have done it already.

Last edited by Evil_Lution; Jun 16, 2003 at 10:04 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:24 AM

Ahhhh I have sound that can heard with the windows down and moon roof open! Finally.

No replies to my post so I muddled through the install all day Sunday, but it was worth it.

I added 20 pounds, but who cares it is the same as a few gallons or gas or somone needing a diet

1. I could not find a clean place to run the 4 ga. cable so I drilled a hole in the fire wall / passenger side below the existing cable grommet. Then used a good grommet and sealed the hole well.

2. Tweeters were not too bad to remove at all. A 90 degree srew driver is helpful though to get at the mounting screws. The Pillar covers just pull off.

3. The amplified antenna works fine. I used a Mitsu 1994 and up Din harnesss adaptor and everything was easy for the head unit.

General comments:

Evo is very easy to dismantle interior wise. They used good fastners that do not break when removed and can be reused.

All cables / wires fit nicely under the door sils.

The speaker wires were a little tough to get through the existing door rubber. I had to remove the electrical tape from the rubber inside the door that seals the wire loom to the rubber. Then use a flexible piece of thin plastic (old Hayabusa throttle cable housing) and pass it through from the door to the interior. Then tape the speaker cable to it and pull it back through. A little vaseline helps too. Then reseal with electrical tape.

All in all well worth it. I have high quality sound now so I can fully enjoy my Evo at times when I don't want to only hear the turbo spool up.

Some pics below: Install almost complete - I just need to clean things up a bit in the trunk and mount the amp. I may not even add a sub amp and sub woofer, it sounds pretty good now

Alpine CDA9811 H/U
JB audio 300/4
MB Quart component fronts
Boston Acoustics 2 way rear

Here is pic of where I went through firewall
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:28 AM

Pic of 4 ga. cable connected at battery and circuit breaker. I still need to run black wire loom covering over the cable so it blends in better.

Also pic of cable under at door sil

Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:31 AM

A few more - I am trying to get to 15 posts, lol

MB Quart tweeter mounted

Crossovers mounted in trunk

Amp