Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need some help here guys...

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2007, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help here guys...

I was wondering if you guys could check something on your evo for me.

Roll your window down.

Try slowly accelerating through the rpm range.

Pay close attention when you get to 3000 rpm.

From 3000 rpm to 3500 rpm do you hear any out-of-the ordinary sound?

I do.

It's a slight metallic grind and it's a mystery to me.

It happens in all gears at the same rpm.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old May 2, 2007, 03:09 PM
Former Vendor

I have something similar, but it's only under boost. I'm thinkin in my case it's my exhaust rubbing on something(hopefully not the drive shaft) Does it sound like it's coming from under the car or the engine bay?
Old May 2, 2007, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

It definetly sounds like it's coming from under the car not the engine bay. The noise I hear happens under boost or not.

Where does your noise sound like it's coming from?
Old May 2, 2007, 03:52 PM
Former Vendor

Mine's coming from underneath, towards the front of the rear tires. I'm gonna throw it on a lift and check it out. I took it out before and I did hear a little something when I wasn't under boost. When I get some time I gotta check it out.
Old May 2, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evrblazin
It definetly sounds like it's coming from under the car not the engine bay. The noise I hear happens under boost or not.

Where does your noise sound like it's coming from?
Is it a high-pitched fluttering noise? From what you said it sounds speed related.
Old May 2, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattling. I had one doing that on my old car (not an evo) and at a certain rpm the sound would resonate badly enough and sounded like a grinding noise.

I would put it on jack stands or a lift, get under it and have someone rev it up around the rpm range where it happens and start tapping on or grabbing things (with gloves on!) until you find it. just my $.02
Old May 2, 2007, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

yea already checked underneath. the heat shield, on the stock dp, seems to be loose. I guess the best troubleshooting would be to get a TBE to see if that corrects it.
Old May 4, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evrblazin
yea already checked underneath. the heat shield, on the stock dp, seems to be loose. I guess the best troubleshooting would be to get a TBE to see if that corrects it.
Might be. I had a GSR years ago. The stock exhaust pipe has a "pipe inside a pipe", and the inside pipe comes loose and starts rattling and you cannot find it!! So try the exhaust. You might find something else along the way!
Old May 4, 2007, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

YEa i had the same prob... My exhaust shield was ratling because it was loose.
Another noise I was issuing with was noise in the engine belts... but I heard its normal so.. Might want to check that. good luck.=]
Old May 4, 2007, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

all i know is my mirror makes a weird whistlin noise from the screws on the bottom and how the air goes through it lol if u pull the mirror it goes away.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by badboybr09
YEa i had the same prob... My exhaust shield was ratling because it was loose.
Another noise I was issuing with was noise in the engine belts... but I heard its normal so.. Might want to check that. good luck.=]
Was this easy to fix? I think I'm having exactly the same problem - a grinding noise when hitting ~3000 rpm, particularly on the way down from higher rpms.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

I had that when I drive normally I can hear a noise about 3000ish RPM if I increase the throttle it goes away. the problem is I ignored it for some time, but it began to increase, I had just gotten my car out of the garage a few days before this, the sound became louder and louder, till pop, actually bang, the car died, I turn the ignition and its fine, when I hit the throttle I hear clunking noises, I said thats it my engine is gone.

I took it to the garage again, I told them what had happened, they removed the oil catch can and they found out that my bearing was gone and that my crank was damaged. I dont know if you're getting the same noise, but please dont ignore this, it could be serious.

BTW my car is still parked with no engine it, dusty and everything for about 3 weeks now, waiting for parts. I really hope this is over soon. Good luck
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

im having this problem i put a new dp in and 3500 rpm the grinding starts and it stops and starts as i accel and decel like somthings moving. i looked underneath and nothings loose that i could see. ideas?
Old Aug 1, 2008, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

I'm at work and not in my car but if I back out of my cubicle and spin around in my chair really fast and then try to stand up I fall flat on my face.

Did this help?
Old Aug 3, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

no it did not. i think im just gonna put the old dp on and see if that changes anything. its a really annoying grind.