Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Disastrous 1/4 Mile times

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2003, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disastrous 1/4 Mile times

My car is bone stock and here's my results today:

I pulled 14.35 at 95mph on the 1st run,
14.274 at 94 mph 2nd run, 14.255 at 93mph today 3rd run.

I couldnt believe it and got Alfriedesq to drag my car for me the last 3 times, he did 14.24, 14.17.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 07:11 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

What was the temp? Humidity level? Elevation?
Old Jun 14, 2003, 07:13 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Man that sucks. Those are the slowest times I have ever seen posted for the EVO. Any idea what is causing this poor performance?

What did Big Al have to say about it?
Old Jun 14, 2003, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Well today is the first time I dragged my evo.. I really don't know what's wrong. It could be the temperature or something. My evo feels a lot slower this week in comparison to a fortnight ago.

I was just wondering what times the other bone stock evos pulled at Englightown today. Anyone??
Old Jun 14, 2003, 07:39 PM

The Evo is not a drag car. Your times are about right.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

I did 7000rpm launches at half clutch, once the clutch engages, I go full throttle. The rpm drops to 5000 once the clutch fully engages and i think my shifting is reasonably quick too.

Just wanted to make it clear that i didnt do those granny 2000rpm launches.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 09:17 PM
EvoM Guru

What were your 60ft times? Sounds like you should hit a dyno to see for sure (where they have baselined some other EVOs)
Old Jun 14, 2003, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I managed to get a 1.88 60 ' time with his car and it was still a miserable run of 14.1 something at only 93 mph

It was super humid out and crazy hot when he was running - but still - I think a bone stock evo should do more than 92 - 93 mph in the 1/4 mile - - - hell my bone stock WRX which is supposed to have 50 LESS HP than the evo ran a 14.00 even at Englishtown two years ago in 95 degree weather with a stock top mount

After driving his car - it seriously gives me real cause to credit more SHIV's observations about some evo's lacking power - - this guy's car is just plain ole' SLOW as can be - it hardly feels like a turbo car - it feels like a BMW 330

Anyway - I apprecited the opportunity to drive your car in the PM event at the track today (I had just finished the AM Mitsubihi shootout there) - - and super thanks becuase not only was I crazy lucky enough to win the first round somehow in your car - BUT I was thrilled to come in 3rd place in the B2 bracket in the Import Survival Series with your car - which just goes to show you that you DON'T need a quick car to win at bracket racing - - I will add the trophy to my collection with pride!

BTW - I agree with the guy who poasted above that you car could seriously benefit from a spin on the dyno to try and verify the actual HP output
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Al,

for letting us take a ride in your car, it was amazing. I'm seriously considering your recommendations. I'll give you a call when i return from my vacation..

btw - i heard about Jan build evos having power problems, mine is a feb build, i guess the problem is not just isolated to Jan build evos.

Kelvin

Last edited by 909; Jun 14, 2003 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 909
Thanks Al,

for letting us take a ride in your car, it was amazing. I'm seriously considering your recommendations. I'll give you a call when i return from my vacation..

btw - i heard about Jan build evos having power problems, mine is a feb build, i guess the problem is not just isolated to Jan build evos.

Kelvin
Have a great vacation and call me when you get back so we can get that thing onto the dyno and try and figure out what is wrong on your car

Maybe if you present Mistubishi with a dyno sheet showing low HP output you can make a warranty claim to get them to get your car within HP specs
Old Jun 14, 2003, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

hey guys.... take this for what it's worth...
It came from someone that's reputable that there a 6 default maps in the stock ECU. A built-in safety feature. Under certain conditions it will run one of the default maps. This may be why some are noticing wide dyno output results within a short time on the dyno. Ranging from 10-20hp difference between runs. Hopefully guys like Shiv who's seen such variances and has address this with MMA? can comment. Anyways, something to ponder over...
Old Jun 15, 2003, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 909
Thanks Al,

Kelvin
Nothing to do with build date...I verified this in MD at the dyno shootout there was another stock evo that pulled 232 whp had the same build date as mine.... I have heard that Mitsubishi was making cam timing changes when the first batch of Evos came Stateside because of a monumental screw up in production in Japan.....my evo recorded 218 whp on the same dyno as the evo previously stated.....I also would like to know whats going on and if Mitsubishi will recall these slow ones
Old Jun 15, 2003, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by limey
Nothing to do with build date...I verified this in MD at the dyno shootout there was another stock evo that pulled 232 whp had the same build date as mine.... I have heard that Mitsubishi was making cam timing changes when the first batch of Evos came Stateside because of a monumental screw up in production in Japan.....my evo recorded 218 whp on the same dyno as the evo previously stated.....I also would like to know whats going on and if Mitsubishi will recall these slow ones
I really wonder about that cam rumor - I hope that is all it is as it sure is easy enough to just swap out the cams
Old Jun 15, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Old Jun 15, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

I ran yesterday in 95 degrees or so and turned consistant 13.7's with 5500 easy release launches. And no that is not what you should excpect out of your car, even though its not a ss camaro it still does a damn fine job at the track. Faster than the ss camaro anyway. Maybe you should have it checked out at the dealer.

My best is 13.5 so I was content with 13.7 in that kinda heat.