Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Felt the difference when running with intercooler spray on for first time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2003, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Felt the difference when running with intercooler spray on for first time

This is probably stating the obvious, but ...

Went down to Palomar (ultra twisty Mtn road ) today - my second time in the Evo, but this time I didn't fill up with 93 Octane Mix ( regular 91 and some 100 Oct to give 93 Oct ), just ran on regular 91 Ca **** gas.

It was like night and day, didn't really feel anything wrong in the 3k to 5k sweet spot, but after that the Evo was gutless ! Before I would rev it to redline, but this time round I was changing gears like a demon trying to keep it in that 3 to 5k window.

That is until I found out the obvious - that Intercooler spray actually works !! As usual stopped at the top of the mountain, hordes of adoring crowds were asking me about the Evo - you know the stuff - " How much did it cost you to add the brembos, the recaros etc ". Usuall answer - it's all stock

Anyways, I'm digressing. Someone asked about the intercooler, I told them about Auto and Manual modes, and then the light went on in my head. I'd played with the intercooler before now, but it didn't really seem to make any difference so dismissed it as a kind of gimmick. But today, I could definitely feel the difference. It still didn't rev as sweetly as when I had the 93 mix in there, but at least it got a few guts back for me to play to with

Oh, by the way. Today was about 90 plus and at an elevation of anything from 3000 to 4000 feet.

For those in So Cal : Friends showed me a new road in the Palomar area called "Mesa Grande" like Palomar it kicks *** - fast and loads of tight corners / hairpins the works. Absolutely ate it up. So much so I heated up my brakes too much and popped my center wheel caps See my other thread for what happened