Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

1.65 60' time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1.65 60' time

Ran a 1.65 60 ' time today and a 1.685 and a 1.667 - - and my tranny lived to talk about it !

I just LOVE the way the Evo hooks up off the line - those tires are perrfect and I really am comfortable with the stock clutch - (it may not last that long but I feel its easy on my gears)

I credit my times with my Tein Flex coilovers (set on strongest setting) and my new launch method of holding 6500 rpms steady with very little gas - using the flywheels intertia at that speed - pull out the clutch smartly and fast but not a dump and then mash the gas pedal after the clutch is out and the wheels are turning
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al, excellent 60fts. What the hell did you run??????
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

No $hit! How can you post a 60' time like that and no ET's? What's the juice?
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Tease...
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!! 12.07!!!!! nice!!

how the heck can u launch like that on your stock clutch!!?? if i try to launch over 5 grand it just burns the heck out of mine!!! stiiiiiiiinky!!

im planning on putting the RMR 6 puck in so i can be more successful with the launching...

nice job man!

Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by spooldswede
daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!! 12.07!!!!! nice!!

how the heck can u launch like that on your stock clutch!!?? if i try to launch over 5 grand it just burns the heck out of mine!!! stiiiiiiiinky!!

im planning on putting the RMR 6 puck in so i can be more successful with the launching...

nice job man!

Next time try my new crazy method - - it really worked for me - - (also Englishtown is super well prepared and sticky all the time) - - - I personally find the stock clutch fantastic - - I tried many aftermarket clutches in the WRX I had and they all resulted in busted transmissions and nightmare diveability about town - - I got 5 k miles out of my evo clutch already and about 5 trips to the track - it still holds so when it goes I will prob just replace it with another stock unit

If you practice a few times with the stock evo set up you can get some amazing times out of it - it just requires a unique approach

I just hope someone posts up a video of this method in action - it really works great - OH and dont forget the coil overs and lowering your front tire pressure down to 30 and your rears at 45
Old Jun 14, 2003, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Next time try my new crazy method - - it really worked for me - - (also Englishtown is super well prepared and sticky all the time) - - - I personally find the stock clutch fantastic - - I tried many aftermarket clutches in the WRX I had and they all resulted in busted transmissions and nightmare diveability about town - - I got 5 k miles out of my evo clutch already and about 5 trips to the track - it still holds so when it goes I will prob just replace it with another stock unit

If you practice a few times with the stock evo set up you can get some amazing times out of it - it just requires a unique approach

I just hope someone posts up a video of this method in action - it really works great - OH and dont forget the coil overs and lowering your front tire pressure down to 30 and your rears at 45
great tips AL! Do you think that the stock EVO clutch can make an 11 sec run?
Old Jun 14, 2003, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Stock clutch works great for me also with no clutch burning. At my last autox people were amazed at the way it was launching compared to some of the other people driving awd cars such as VR-4's, WRX's, GSX's, etc. I do it the same way..don't dump the clutch..don't let it slip real slow either. I usually launch around 5k though.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

nice job man!

Thanks. BTW - the last dude I knew who gotg that 6 puck sadly did NOT make it to the track cuase he shortly thereafter blew up something in his tranny or diffs - - I've been there done that already on the WRX and sure will not touch any pucks at any price till I'm ready to start bustin stuff
Old Jun 15, 2003, 01:57 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

yeah i've heard that englishtown is a sweet track.. i was there last summer (just as a spectator) and wish i could've tried it out...

we got rt66 in joliet as our best track in this area... also very sticky.. but it's also very popular, and it can be hard to get runs in..

so we mostly go to great lakes dragway or byron.. and they are only decent..

hmm.. so u're saying for me to hold off on the 6 puck disc that RMR sells right now ($199)?... i thought it could be a nice combo.. and not that expensive.. but i suppose u're gonna tell me that it WILL get expensive later when my tranny goes up in smoke, huh!?

cant wait to get out there again next week and test out my new toys!
Old Jun 15, 2003, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Like I said on the other post, I got Al's 12.07 pass on video is someone can host it for me. Not the best quality(181kb)It's an e-mail clip.

Thanks,
Paul
Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

c'mon!.. somebody's gotta be able to host THAT small of a file!!
Old Jun 15, 2003, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

c'mon!.. somebody's gotta be able to host THAT small of a file!!
Please !
Old Jun 16, 2003, 09:42 AM

i work in greenwich ...i want a ride

=)

lets hook it up....ill take ya for a spin in my crate motor 77 vette
355hp 405tq