Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP! I crashed my EVO

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2007, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The evo has a unibody so unless you hit the curb with some serious force, the body should be fine. If you have a sunroof look up top there and see if the roof of the car dropped/dented in at all. Other than that you could have the obvious issues of a bent lower control arm which is definitely not a low cost fix. The unforunate thing about your incident is that although it doesn't seem to be much, there could be alot of things that need to be replaced, ie. struts.
Old May 6, 2007, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be difficult to "eye" suspension components for damage? I understand that some damage is obvious to the eye. However, other components may look okay, but can still be out of spec.

If you want your car to drive the way it did before the incident, I'd suggest replacing everything per damaged corner and possibly in the middle, i.e., the front and rear cross members might even be slightly damaged - all depends on the degree of impact, of course. Do you have the official Evo service manual? If so, look up the chapters covering the front and rear suspensions and the front and rear axles. Likely parts that'll need replacing are hub assemblies, struts, control arms, trailing arms, lower arms, assist links. Many of the parts are forged aluminum.

After everything is said and done you will probably gain more respect for your Evo's amazing suspension. It's not unlike what's seen in higher performing, ridiculously expensive sports cars. I'm looking at an illustration of the rear suspension now, it's just eff'ing amazing.

I've included a pic of a complete rear suspension, with some drivetrain stuff attached. This and the front suspension is being sold by a guy here on the forum. I'm not sure if he still has the stuff. Refer to this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=261931 ... new, these rear suspension parts would go for $2K-$3K. Forged aluminum isn't cheap.

One thing is for sure: your car is gonna need MUCH MORE than an alignment.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! I crashed my EVO-evo9rearaxle.jpg  
Old May 6, 2007, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XtremEvo9
tell the insurance company that you turned fast to miss a deer or something. I did that last year in my 350z. I have 100 comp deductable and 500 collision deduct, and since i told them that, i only had to pay the 100 bucks instead of the 500 collision.
Insurance fraud in print. Talk about not owning up and taking responsibility for your actions. It was your fault. Own up to it. Had you been driving "normal" or "slowly," like the majority of drivers, your incident and his incident would not have happened. My point: You provoked the incident. It wasn't an accident. Accidents happen to the innocent, not the guilty.
Old May 6, 2007, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u just baught ur evo....S2k is RWD, AWD is dependable, but when its wet espcially with our advana04's we will slip
Old May 6, 2007, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clutchdc5
u just baught ur evo....S2k is RWD, AWD is dependable, but when its wet espcially with our advana04's we will slip
That all depends on what mode you have your ACD on and the speed carried in a given corner - degree of deceleration while braking is another factor among other factors, i.e., steering and throttle inputs. Full lock in your rear diff in the wet will create a tailspin from hell, or from heaven, depending on the occasion.

Last edited by EVO X Owner-2-B; May 6, 2007 at 06:17 AM.
Old May 6, 2007, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Good Luck with everything dude.
Old May 6, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Hamflex, if you can, please post some pics of the damage.
Old May 6, 2007, 03:31 PM

Similar thing happened to me. Doing 50 mph just crusing enjoying the ride back home in the back roads. Come up on a light blind curve and there was a stupid girl stopped to make a left turn, she did not have a stop sign or anything she though it was the perfect place to stop and talk on the phone. As Soon as i saw her car i started beeping my horn and slammed on the breaks. Luckily did not lose control and she proceed to make her left turn at -5mph like an old lady. The BREMBOS saved me from rear ending her.