Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

350z To Evo

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by APEX1
maybe in japan the 07 350z runs a 13.3 but in the states the 07 306hp had a to 60 at 5.48 sec and ran a 14.02 1/4 mile Oh and the MSRP is $36,100. THAT SUCKS!
This is funny... look at the magazine racer. Read my last post.

You can get a base '07 for under $27K. Which is just as fast as any other model.
Old May 8, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
You're full of ****... the '06 and below Z's were running at BEST 13.6's.
wow calm down tough guy,no need to take your shirt off and get angry, youre right tho i made a mistake it was 14.3stock...missread that ****
Old May 8, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slick-IX
wow calm down tough guy,no need to take your shirt off and get angry, youre right tho i made a mistake it was 14.3stock...missread that ****
I like taking my shirt off though...

Not mad at all bro, just called BS. 14.3 much more believable.
Old May 8, 2007, 12:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why are we arguing about the slow a** 350z. the money you would spend on the Z to mod it, spend that exact amount on an Evo and the Evo will be faster. The Evo is way faster stock anyway. shoot an 03 evo is faster than an 07 Z
Old May 8, 2007, 12:32 PM
Account Disabled

i went from a 06 6mt g35c to the 06 evo ix...there is a huge difference between the 2 cars..basicly everything.i do not regret that change one bit.!!
Old May 8, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Stock for stock, a 350Z and Evo trap about the same. I think the 07 Zs trap ~103-4mph which is pretty much where the Evo is. Of course, the Evo will run a faster ET due to the AWD launch.

To make significant power gains on the Z, you have to go forced induction. So ~$7k on the turbo kit. But that does jump you from ~240-250whp to 400-500whp. It'd be advisable to build the motor too

On the Evo, you can go from 250whp to ~350whp with bolt-ons, cams, retune, etc. More than that, time for a turbo upgrade.

The thing that the Evo will have that the Z never will is AWD. Conversely, the thing the Z will have that the Evo never will is displacement. A 500whp Z will have a much fatter powerband with tons more low-end (below 4.5k rpms or so) that a 500whp Evo ever do. That's just displacement, no getting around it.

If you're going to dump a butt-load of money on the car, and don't need much practicality, I'd go for the Z. If you need it to be practical or just stay with bolt-on upgrades, well, the Evo is the only option.
Old May 8, 2007, 01:15 PM

Here's my take...

I had an '03 Le Mans Sunset Base 350Z 6MT. Loved the car. One of the best looking cars on the road. It has decent power delivery and (if you learn how to drive it) handles good. Before you get confident in what it can do, it feels like a heavy pig going through corners (even though it weighed less than my Evo). Definately not gonna put down the same times at the track, but the '07 Z's are running low 13's stock now (quickest is 13.3) and trapping ~105 (and those times were on f'd up clutches... problem from the factory - clutch pedal getting stuck to the ground) so they're catching up somewhat. Those times were also on 2.0 60's and some spinning in first, so those times will improve as more '07 Z's get out to the track.

The Z has the look and feel of a sports car, which is something you won't get in an Evo.

The Evo has crazy more room than the Z does.

The AWD is awesome in all weather conditions, whereas the Z sucks in rain/snow/sleet/typhoons/etc.

The Evo definately has the advantage in the modding department, but the Z has more potential (3.5 compared to a 2.0)... there's no denying that. The Evo's gonna cost less to mod and show better gains (with bolt-ons), but with a built engine and twins on the Z, it will very much out-perform an Evo (but will cost MUCH more). The Z is not a car for a modder on a budget.

The Evo is much more of an enthusiasts car (as in when you see one, you know the owner is into cars), unlike the Z (which everyone and their grandmoms are driving). Also, there's less Evo's on the road, so it's got more of the rare factor.

Drive an Evo, expect the ricers to pick (or try anyways) on you. Everyone wants a piece of an Evo. With the Z, you'll get less attention in that sense, but more in the sense of it's a damn good looking car.

The Z will get the attention from the ladies... but if you need it for that, you got bigger problems than worrying about what car you want. The attention you'll get from them is gonna be money/possesion-related anyways, and that sucks. You'd rather have a girl hit on you when you're driving an Evo since she'll be the type that's performance-minded (which doesn't and won't happen often).

Though the aftermarket parts are more expensive for the Z, regular maintainence will kill on the Evo. You'll go through more gas, more oil, and generally break more **** since there's more to break. Insurance (for me, anyways) dropped when I traded my Z for my Evo.

If you make the trade, you WILL miss the Z. Trust me... over a year later I still miss mine.

Have you test-driven an Evo yet? You really should. It'll help your decision. Also, test drive the '07 Z. Let me know if you got any more questions.

Thnx thats some good info...hhmmm just one more month before i go to the dealership and really sign the papers so hopefully i come to a full conclusion of what i really want. Reason being is i get bored of things fast so maybe its just one of my phase Or i just like to buy new things when it comes out. wutever it is i need to think about it more since its a big 35k investment.
Old May 8, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Stock for stock, a 350Z and Evo trap about the same. I think the 07 Zs trap ~103-4mph which is pretty much where the Evo is. Of course, the Evo will run a faster ET due to the AWD launch.

To make significant power gains on the Z, you have to go forced induction. So ~$7k on the turbo kit. But that does jump you from ~240-250whp to 400-500whp. It'd be advisable to build the motor too

On the Evo, you can go from 250whp to ~350whp with bolt-ons, cams, retune, etc. More than that, time for a turbo upgrade.

The thing that the Evo will have that the Z never will is AWD. Conversely, the thing the Z will have that the Evo never will is displacement. A 500whp Z will have a much fatter powerband with tons more low-end (below 4.5k rpms or so) that a 500whp Evo ever do. That's just displacement, no getting around it.

If you're going to dump a butt-load of money on the car, and don't need much practicality, I'd go for the Z. If you need it to be practical or just stay with bolt-on upgrades, well, the Evo is the only option.
You can get more power than that on the stock turbo. Evo IX's are upwards of 400 AWHP with full bolt-ons and alky.

You're right... the powerband of an FI'd Z is rediculously beautiful. They also get great gearing to take advantage of it. Gets even better when the final drive is swapped.

About AWD Z's... one of my friends back on the East coast just swapped in the drivetrain out of a G35x... so now he has AWD on demand. I'm sure there will be more soon.
Old May 8, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get more power than that on the stock turbo. Evo IX's are upwards of 400 AWHP with full bolt-ons and alky.

You're right... the powerband of an FI'd Z is rediculously beautiful. They also get great gearing to take advantage of it. Gets even better when the final drive is swapped.

About AWD Z's... one of my friends back on the East coast just swapped in the drivetrain out of a G35x... so now he has AWD on demand. I'm sure there will be more soon.
To my knowledge there are NO manual AWD Z's (except for JUN's one off AWD Z, which is absolutely AMAZING!). The drivetrain in the G35x consists of an AUTOMATIC awd transmission. There were NO manual G35x's ever made. This means if you want an AWD z that doesn't have a slush box, your going to have to shell out thousands of dollars and fabricate your own layout, possibly from a GT-R.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; May 8, 2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old May 8, 2007, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Never said it was manual. Just saying it has and will most likely be done again.
Old May 8, 2007, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never said it was manual. Just saying it has and will most likely be done again.
Automatics don't count for anything!
Old May 8, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Redline06
Just do it.. I had a 2006 MB Enthusiast 6MT 350Z.. loved it so much but it was draining my small pockets and I wasn't getting enough..

now the evo with my small pockets does more than I ever thought it would be able to do.. 404AWHP with less than 4G's spent.. not alot of platforms can't do that bud..
i could not have said it better!
Old May 8, 2007, 04:45 PM

I had a 2004 Blue 6SPM with MODS and loved it. Got the EVO as the replacment and miss the Z, but not enough to ever go back. I love both cars but for different reasons. Z is great for the ladies, but so is the evo when taking a corner at twice the speed Try out a evo and you will get a big smile
Old May 8, 2007, 04:52 PM

If you make the trade, you WILL miss the Z. Trust me... over a year later I still miss mine.
So if you had to do it over again, would you keep the Z and turbo it or go with the Evo. That is the boat I am in right now.
Old May 8, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sands
So if you had to do it over again, would you keep the Z and turbo it or go with the Evo. That is the boat I am in right now.
I don't know... I had my reasons for wanting (and needing) an Evo. I'm military and got stationed out here in Hawaii. Army could only ship one car... at the time I had my 2G and 350Z. My 2G was in pieces and the Z was only 2 door/2 seater with no room. Since I could only take one car I needed something with more room for when I got here. In hindsight, I prolly would've fixed my Eclipse and brought both over (paying for one out of pocket), then either traded for a IX SE/RS or an '07 Z.

The Evo is great powerwise with bolt-ons, but almost too great. Almost takes the fun out of building a car since you get that instant gratification with nothing else to look foward to. The Z takes time (and money) to make fast, but to a lot of people it's more satisfying like that to perfect something over time.

In other words, I'd be 50/50 on the choice.

Last edited by bboypuertoroc; May 8, 2007 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 350z To Evo