Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is this possible? 12.90 w/ just AFC and MBC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2003, 11:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is this possible? 12.90 w/ just AFC and MBC

a friend of mine has one of those Vericom performance computers, and he set it up and we were testing it out on a section of road not too far from my house.. I don't recall all the details, but the 1/4 time that it "Supposedly" spit out on one of my runs was a 12.94.. This was on a decent warm day (high 70's) not too humid, only modifications I have is the Buscher air filter, Buscher tuned S-AFC, and a Hallman Manual boost controller set at about 19.5psi through redline.. I launched off the line like a granny, but made quick/smooth gear changes at 6800rpm (aprox)...

He is insisting that those readings are pretty correct.. I'm insisting there's no way my car runs that quickly.. all of my runs were within 3/10's of that time, but the others were lazy shifts..

The only observation I made is my car appeared to run stronger stock than another EVO I got to drive recently..

I think he might have screwed up the weight input although he put it in for 3600lbs which should be close for myself and him in the car, and a 1/4 tank of gas..

Don't flame this post.. I really don't think this sounds right and I was there DRIVING..
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its for sure possible
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Ya know, if I can get this thing into the mid 11's.. It'd mean my daily driver runs as quick as my race car..
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MalibuJack
Ya know, if I can get this thing into the mid 11's.. It'd mean my daily driver runs as quick as my race car..
After the first few 10ths increase in 1/4 mile times - then each 1/10 th you shave off gets more and more costly !
Old Jun 15, 2003, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about this last night. We have seen a stock EVO VIII go 13.185 (silencer I think?)with time slips to prove it.

The SAFC at $300, and MBC at $100 probably represent the best basic bang-for-the-buck mods for the EVO.Throw in another $100 for boost gauge and pod and you have a recipe for 12's for $500.

Alternatively an ECU reflash might get you in the 12's as well for around the same money.

Certainly the intake and exhaust mods are going to really open things up, but for someone wanting to spend the least amount initially, and still get the most return these particular parts seem to be the ticket.

Sportmachines.com , a forum dedicated to the Syclone and Typhoon, has a maintenance tips section that has an upgrade path section called Recipe #1: 12's for $1000.

This forum could use a similar reference guide for EVO owners at some point to help people understand the several mod paths they can take, and what to expect to gain in hp/tq, and performance numbers.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 03:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
After the first few 10ths increase in 1/4 mile times - then each 1/10 th you shave off gets more and more costly !
I hear that! I've got about 60 grand into my malibu!!

I think I have the same passion as you do when it comes to refining things.. I have no problem spending money to try things out, and if they don't work for me, or I find something better, I swap out parts..

I am going to have to post a link to my "Spare parts" for sale once I get into the swing of things..

How was your experience with that quantum header and the cams? I'm inclined to do the cams and header (HPC Coaded of course) I'm going to save a larger FMIC until a little later this summer, but I'm going to upgrade the intercooler piping and although a few of you recommended a sheet metal intake, I actually want to try to retain the stock intake and have it extrudehoned. Although getting a larger throttle body may only have negligable results, I think I'm still going to do it in preparation for the standalone ECU I plan on running.

U still running the stock injectors, pump and fuel rail?