Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo in Best Handling competition

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2007, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo in Best Handling competition

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...car_selection/
http://www.motortrend.com/av/feature...on_overview_1/
http://www.motortrend.com/av/feature...on_overview_2/

nice to see that the evo made it in the competition. 4th place to the lotus, cayman, and gt3.
Old May 9, 2007, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Wow. Cayman S beat the Exige S? Porsche takes first and second. Fourth is still very, very respectable for the Evo, especially in such company. I wish MT had a video of the Evo. No surprise that the driver thought the GT3 was tops.

Last edited by EVO X Owner-2-B; May 9, 2007 at 06:02 AM.
Old May 9, 2007, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

The Evo never ceases to amaze me. I read something here in the forum that is inline with the results of this MT article. Here's the quote from BlackSport350:

"The Evo IX is just another toy in my garage which also sees vehicles wearing badges like GT3, M, AMG, LS6, and some more exotic cars. I would never keep it forever but wanted to own an Evo as I have always loved them and the IX seemed like a good bet. It is also by far the cheapest car I have owned in well over a decade and I still love it. I can not say the same for the STi and am generally not biased as I generally tend to buy cars based on their performance and balance alone and own everything from American to Japanese. The STi just doesn't have the turn-in or agility of the Evo. When I drive it, it is a fun and solid car but it just doesn't wow me like the Evo. I don't look forward to climbing out of a $100K+ car and into an STi but sure do with the Evo and that says a lot! And don't get the wrong idea, the STi is a great car that I really respect but it offers up a performance envelope that simply isn't enough for me."
Old May 9, 2007, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO X Owner-2-B
The Evo never ceases to amaze me. I read something here in the forum that is inline with the results of this MT article. Here's the quote from BlackSport350:

"The Evo IX is just another toy in my garage which also sees vehicles wearing badges like GT3, M, AMG, LS6, and some more exotic cars. I would never keep it forever but wanted to own an Evo as I have always loved them and the IX seemed like a good bet. It is also by far the cheapest car I have owned in well over a decade and I still love it. I can not say the same for the STi and am generally not biased as I generally tend to buy cars based on their performance and balance alone and own everything from American to Japanese. The STi just doesn't have the turn-in or agility of the Evo. When I drive it, it is a fun and solid car but it just doesn't wow me like the Evo. I don't look forward to climbing out of a $100K+ car and into an STi but sure do with the Evo and that says a lot! And don't get the wrong idea, the STi is a great car that I really respect but it offers up a performance envelope that simply isn't enough for me."
True. I have this M/T issue and it's amazing that a 30K car can compete with some cars that triple it's price.
Old May 9, 2007, 08:46 AM

the bad thing is the value drops fast and you lose your a$$ if you try n sell.
Old May 9, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

4th is very respectable when you look at the competition. I think that if the evo was fitted with wider tires it would give the the porshes a run for their money. The porshes have such an advantange (stock vs stock) because of their overall contact patch being so much bigger than evo's.
Old May 9, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The GT3 is unstoppable. Damn zee Zhermans!
Old May 9, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i don't see the results.or they just picked the winner from each groupp?
Old May 9, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Props to the EVO!

flash the evo and put a TBE exhaust!

There will be a different outcome, and a demostration of the EVO ability to be tuned.

Last edited by supersupra; May 9, 2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old May 9, 2007, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by supersupra
Props to the EVO!

flash the evo and put a TBE exhaust!

There will be a different outcome, and a demostration of the EVO ability to be tuned.
It was a 'handling' competition, power was a non-factor.

It was a pretty well done test. They examined a lot of different aspects that I hadn't seen before.
Old May 9, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

i actually enjoyed the thoroughness of the coverage, and it only reinforces the fact that very few cars excel beyond the Evo, IF PRICE wasn't an issue. . .M/T did concede that they decided to go with OEM tires instead of making all of the cars wear the same shoes. . .a good decision in my books, since the Evo, Elise, and GT3 wear very sticky shoes (that hardly last more than 10k!!)
Old May 9, 2007, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice makes me feel better about owning the evo =D
Old May 9, 2007, 05:10 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
we know that only a few high end cars can touch the evo that is why we have one right?
Old May 9, 2007, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've always had faith in the handling of the evo
Old May 9, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

<------ happy owner of such a wonderful machine

Quick Reply: Evo in Best Handling competition