Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo vs. sti. vs. R32

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2003, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo vs. sti. vs. R32

http://www.vwvortex.com/features/ind...compare03.html
Old Jun 16, 2003, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

Wow that seemed like a totally biased Pro-VW report. It seems very far off from what other reporters have said. Also, without a clear description of the course set up, How long the straights were, or if the course was set up to try to favor the less powerful R32. Also so saw that the 0-60 times aren't important is stupid. It might have been done a million times before, but it is the gold standard to evaluate a cars acceleration, with 1/4 mile times coming in a close second, but only for the better educated consumer. The R32 claimes a 6 second 0-60 time, with the STi breaking 5 and the EVo claiming 5.1 I mean, one 0-60 dash and that would account for the difference in lap times. How can this be ignored?? doesn't this make anyone else mad???
Old Jun 17, 2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Mean TT
Wow that seemed like a totally biased Pro-VW report. It seems very far off from what other reporters have said. Also, without a clear description of the course set up, How long the straights were, or if the course was set up to try to favor the less powerful R32. Also so saw that the 0-60 times aren't important is stupid. It might have been done a million times before, but it is the gold standard to evaluate a cars acceleration, with 1/4 mile times coming in a close second, but only for the better educated consumer. The R32 claimes a 6 second 0-60 time, with the STi breaking 5 and the EVo claiming 5.1 I mean, one 0-60 dash and that would account for the difference in lap times. How can this be ignored?? doesn't this make anyone else mad???
yea theres a very obvious R32 bias
Old Jun 17, 2003, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Well...it's VWVortex. What did you expect?
Old Jun 17, 2003, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

No kidding, you walk onto their turf expecting them to fellate you with EVO praise? For it being an all VW site, I'm pretty sure the Evo and STi got a fair shake. It'd be just like if EvoM did the same test, there's bound to be an Evo bias.

That being said, I'd rather own the R32.

Flame away.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 09:42 PM

Hey, you gotta admit, the R32 has one SWEET interior!

That said, I'd still take an EVO.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 10:21 PM
In Timeout

r32 is for lunch
Old Jun 18, 2003, 08:14 AM

Not really the same class.

2 door versus 4 door
6 cyl. vs. 4 cyl

WRC bred EVO & STi versus street car

VW lost in acceleration and handling.

conclusion:
At the end of the test there was no one that wouldn't be happy in any one of these vehicles which speaks volumes about these cars. The decision concerning which one to buy will depend completely on your own tastes, preferences, needs and wants. If you want the fastest car in a straight line, the STi or Evo are your best choice. If you want the best handling car that is the easiest and funnest to drive, either the Evo or R32 will fit the bill. If you want something a little subtler with more creature comfort and a great sounding V6, the R32 may be your cup of tea. If you enjoy the rush of a turbo the STi and Evo will due quite nicely. All of this also depends on which car fits you better, which styling you like better, and a raft of other subjective things we can't decide for you. No matter which you choose, you can be sure that you are buying something special and unique that will place a perma grin on your face.

I like the Evo

Last edited by Evil_Lution; Jun 18, 2003 at 08:16 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 08:30 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Did they mention the fact that the VW has better interior enough? I think they mentioned it at least once on each page.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Mean TT
what bias?
vw has more luxurious interior and better quality interior then both evo and sti. Still in the end it didnt match evo's performance.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:35 AM

uhhh why are they using words like "funnest" and "subtler" in an article that gets this much exposure. I'm not one to pick apart grammar, but that's like 2nd grade level **** right there.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:45 AM

Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

i don't see any biased...???
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't see any bias either...it was a good article. The VW def has the better interior and is a nice car....but I still love the evo
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ChillinEvoVIII
r32 is for lunch
The 3.2L VR6 (or any VR6) engine is one of the best sounding engines out there. Performance notwithstanding, you can't discount the fun factor of a mean exhaust note. The R32 is a good car and it doesn't pretend to be a rally car offspring. Take it for what it's worth. Performance is great, but it's not everything.

That said, I wouldn't mind owning any of those three cars.