Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

1-2 shifting problems and warranty

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by evo1
This statement has been addressed over & over .... do you really think these cars don't shift hard at higher rpm's in rally racing?
You do realise you don't have the same car that is acctually in rally races right? Mitsu changed a lot of stuff for the american version of the evolution. The tranny is one of the things they changed to make it a more mainstream car.

Old Jun 30, 2003, 06:57 PM

Is our 5-speed the same basically as the JDM RS 5-speed (I don't mean exact in every detail, esp. not ratios ), but are the parts interchangable at all?

BTW, I have also missed a couple of 1-2s. Ill check the build date tomorrow.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

I was told directly by a regional parts manager that the tranny used in the US Evo was "the competion model". He said he didn't realise the differences between this tranny and previous us dsm trannies until he was on a call with a couple of engineers.

Take that for whatever its worth, but that was his explanation of the deceleration noise.

Not saying he knew WTF he was talking about
Old Jun 30, 2003, 08:31 PM

Thumbs up Transmission Fluid

Evilution,

It seems that erioshi's pictures may have revealed the cause of your Evo's problem. I realize a car shouldn't have to have it's transmission fluid changed this early, but it's worth a try, isn't it? These metal shavings could be what's causing the grinding of the synchronizers and the collar's dog teeth.

Unfortunately, changing the fluid will not assure all metal shavings are removed. Hopefully it'll eliminate enough, so that remaining shavings will not interfere with the gears.

Anyone know how to totally clean out the transmission in order to reduce shifting problems?

Hope you find the answer,
TerraDrifter
Old Jul 1, 2003, 09:35 AM

I guess I'm wondering why some of you in this thread are making the excuse that this car is not designed to be driven "that way". Its an Evo..... its one of the highest performance cars you can buy in the US right now. The trans should shift.... any way you want it to. Does the Evo not compete with the WRX Sti? Subaru gives you a racing membership when you buy a WRX. Look at it this way- the engine can take what 500 hp at least but the trans has issues at the stock power level...... BS. If my 100k mile stock DSM trans can run low 11's and get me back and forth to work on a daily basis then I would expect NO LESS from an Evo.

Evilution, if they won't fix untill it breaks... seems simple to me. If you want to try a fluid change I would put BG Synchro Shift II in it... they make it here where I live and I would be happy to get you some. Shoot me a PM if you want to try some.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

I quickly learned on this forum everyone is quick to be critical, yet slow to do anything else. Most people on here bought this car because it is a very high performance car, yet will be critical of those that drive it that way, never looking at how they drive their own car. People seem quick to tell people they got what they deserve when it is not their car that is having the problem, but when their car DOES mess up, they are right there b*tching.

My car grinds. I will get the production date for you. Good luck my friend. Mitsu loves to market this car as a racer, yet will not assist you.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 02:54 PM

My friend had a problem with grinding in his civic (yes, completely different car, but hear me out). He switched the tranny fluid for the redline synthetic stuff and it was smoother than Jessica Alba's ***. I have no idea if this'll help you, but for however much a few bottles of transmission fluid are, it's worth a shot.