Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Some questions...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2003, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions...

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and I have some questions about the Evo VIII. I want to just have some concerns cleared up about the Evo. First off, I would like to know if the 19lbs of boost the the Evo is running is practical for an everyday driver. Secondly, I would like to know about this problem I read on the forum a few times about "missing second gear." Could someone please explain this to me? Now you probably think I'm a n00b but it's ok, because I pretty much am.
Thanks in advance
Old Jun 18, 2003, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure how you define practical but I drive it every day. It's my only car. I did previously drive an Eclipse GSX which is also a 2.0 liter turbo so I'm used to that sort of car. I'm still in break-in but it seems to be just fine for me. It feels great on the road, maybe slightly stiff but I guess it depends on what you're used to. What car are you coming from?

I haven't run into any problems shifting from 1st to 2nd but again I'm still breaking it in so I'm not taching the car up or speed shifting. The Transmissions feels nice and solid to me and I haven't missed 2nd or any gear yet.

I can tell you from racing various cars that in a turbo car sometimes the rush of boost can come on quickly and not in a linear fashion to the point that I think some people are over reving 1st making it hard to get into 2nd. It takes a little practice to feel where to go into 2nd and that could be some of it. I know there have been other discussions about this but I don't know if there is a problem in some cars or not. Mine seems fine and I'll know more after break-in. Maybe some of the others will reply and see what problem they are having. Any turbo car can be tricky to speed shift and even good drivers will miss occasionally.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 09:44 AM

hey, thanks man.. and what i meant by practical was like, because its running such high boost, its not meant only for occasional use or anythign right?
I'm coming from a 97 Accord and hope to get teh Evo within a year.
Thanks for ur help
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

No I drive mine to work in rush our every day. I t seems completely practical to me. Again the only thing I really notice is the stiffer suspension over bumps....but on the good side I also notice the stiffer suspension through the twisty turns and it feels great.

Coming from an accord you'll certainly notice bumps in the road a lot more. The Accord is a much softer suspension. Drive one if you can or get a ride in one if you can before buying. I'm sure someone even here on the list in your area may be able to give you a ride at some point.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 02:33 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Remember that the only time a stock EVO is at 19psi is at WOT (wide open throttle) and 3,500rpm. Boost decreases with increasing RPM down to 14 or 15psi. The car drives very docile for everyday driving. Mr. Hyde is available as needed.

Speedlimit....