Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

overheating

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2007, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overheating

Wasn't sure what this topic fit under...but anyways my car is overheating to over 240 degrees according to evoscan. Its a 05 evo 8 with 34000 miles on it. The car stays at normal temp when on the freeway or moving but at a light or jus idling the car overheats. Also after about a 10 min drive and I shut the car off air comes out of the recovery tube and the recovery tank keeps filling up. I'm hoping its jus a cap or a stat and not a head gasket....help me out please
Old May 19, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Is your radiator fan working??
Old May 19, 2007, 05:34 PM

Take off the radiator cap when the engine is warm and running, and see if there is any air trying to escape(i.e. exhaust gas). Also check the fans and make sure they are working, hopefully it's them.
Old May 19, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

The fans are working seems like there always on actually
Old May 19, 2007, 05:49 PM

grab the upper radiator hose when it's hot. If it burns your hand your thermostat is open and working. If you can hold the hose for a short while with no burn your thermostat is stuck closed.

my bad I just noticed your not overheating while moving. scrap my idea. usually that is associated with non working fans

Last edited by carluver; May 19, 2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old May 19, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Head gasket. A leak in it is pressurizing your coolant system, which in turn pushes all the coolant into the overflow tank (and out the car). I know because I will be fixing mine next week for the 2nd time. And a comp. test came back as perfect. Oil has not mixed with the coolant. But a passage must be blown/leaking compression into my system. Also tested for CO2 in the coolant (which will bubble like a soda at idle if you have the rad cap off) came back positive. EDIT: BTW, I have the 18.5psi Greddy Rad Cap too...

Mine died a week before Winged Warrior then officically took the pooch on the way to Winged Warrior. Dumped all my coolant and started overheating. Took out the thermo, filled up the coolant before the race. Drove the snot out of her and limped home. Now she is pissed. Pretty sure my cyl 4 is the leaker. If its not warmed up enough and I try to drive it the car will not drive and floods that cyl. + a misfire CEL.

Last edited by Smike; May 19, 2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: English>Me
Old May 19, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Most likely your stock headbolts are stretched.. Get some ARP's and re-torque them down.. Same thing happened to mine around the same mileage.. Schit won't budge after the ARP's are on there.. This is common for high boost applications.. Which our cars are from factory.. Good luck.. Till then, drive carefully..
Old May 19, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

There's no bubbles while its on tho?
Old May 19, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Head gasket would mean white smoke is coming out from the exhaust. I believe you have a leak in the radiator. Check the radiator hoses and such, and the nub answer of the day, make sure you have oil!
Old May 19, 2007, 08:06 PM

Did you have your cooling fan controller replaced? Overheating is a possible cause if its faulty.

Recall campaign (SC-07-001) is for the Evo/lancer. This was just issued/updated maybe a month ago or a little before then.
Old May 20, 2007, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
+1 on head gasket
Old May 20, 2007, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vortech_g35
Head gasket would mean white smoke is coming out from the exhaust. I believe you have a leak in the radiator. Check the radiator hoses and such, and the nub answer of the day, make sure you have oil!
Totally not true. Yes, it can happen with coolant enters the cyl then gets burnt off. But in some cases coolant does not go into the cyl, but the boost psi enters the coolant system.

I have blown my hg 2x. Same thing happened last time to me too.
Old May 20, 2007, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Here is a simple solution: wrong weight oil....... Very heavy oil in the high heat will cause the temps to rise much higher than normal....

Last oil change the dealership put 5-10 in my car and I immediately noiticed my oil temps way up, I mean to like 210-215 during dialy driving. I changed it back to 10-30 recently and now back down to like 170-175....

Just a thought..... Looking for the simplest answer
Old May 20, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddubdb3
Also after about a 10 min drive and I shut the car off air comes out of the recovery tube and the recovery tank keeps filling up.
Guys enough with the oil comments. This is the big clue that he is pres. his system. This is the same thing that my car is doing/has done - it was the hg both times.
Old May 20, 2007, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

k well i changed my radiator cap and put in some more coolant while the engine was running and the overheating went away. went for a canyon run las night and no overheating so i think im good ill pressure test tmw....