Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

throttle sticking!

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle sticking!

my new IX has some issue with the throttle sticking now and again... usually its when your riding high revs and either let off throttle(where the Rpm's stay the same and dont feel the drag of the motor slowing down) or ya let off the gas and put the clutch in and the R's take forever to drop.

Anyone else have this issue? I kinda checked the cable but nothing seems abnormal. I dont feel like takin it to the dealer unless i have too.
Old May 19, 2007, 08:15 PM

I doubt there is carbon buildup prevent the throttle from closing completely seeing as you own a IX. Might be an IAC issue.
Old May 19, 2007, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

its happend since i got it... well once i got some miles on it to actually get some RPM's on her.. its just got to 3000 miles now.. no comparison to my VIII as far as the feel with this.. its fo sho got an issue...
Old May 21, 2007, 10:48 PM

I'm experiencing the same problem. Here's a thread I found on this that offered several possible solutions:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=108559

To briefly summarize the proposed solutions:
1. Operator error. Driver is failing to fully lift off the throttle before disengaging the clutch. I don't think this problem applies to me, as I've been driving manuals for over 30 years, including my Evo for the past 3 years, and either I suddenly forgot how to drive or this problem is with the car.
2. Problem with the clutch/throw-out bearing. Some said that a new clutch solved the problem, but I'm skeptical that there's a cause/effect relationship here. I don't know of any way the clutch could release too quickly, which is the only way to cause the throttle to hang, unless the clutch was so far worn that it would be on the very verge of slipping. I think you'd easily notice the slipping whenever you accelerate though. If the clutch was too slow to release, I would expect an excessive drop in rpm when shifting.
3. BOV issues. If the bov was slow to respond, boost pressure might hold the throttle blade open for a second. Perhaps, but people with several types of bov/dv's had the same problem, including some who were stock.
4. Weak throttle return spring. This seems like the most likely cause to me. It's one of the few relevant parts shared by all who had the problem. Adding a supplemental spring also solved the problem for a few members, which is further evidence that this may be the real source of the problem. A marginally weak spring might work on most cars but as they age the problem might manifest, especially with a few mods that increase intake pressure. I'm going to try this approach in the next few days and see if it works. I'll let you know.
Old May 21, 2007, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

its fine, it happens to me too. a tech at south coast mitsu said it was normal...something about the engine getting too rich or whatever, i forgot...hahaha but it also happens if you repeatedly engage-disengage the clutch on 1st gear or reverse really fast... it happens when im in the parking lot, backing out..