Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Proven MPG's increase technique

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2007, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Proven MPG's increase technique

Ok there are many MPG's threads here, but non discuss exactly what how they drive to get those results. You can think of this thread as the how to guide at works for at least one EVO IX owner.

I've tried many different acceleration/cruising methods, even what the owners manual recommends. I did make a few mistakes in the past about driving techniques and best mpg's, because there where other variables that came into play that I didnt account. One of my last posts I described the factory method giving me 28 MPG but it was actually my current method that I will be describing soon. I was logging in the information and made a mistake on the fields I put down. The owners manual acceleration method during normal driving generally gives me about 17-18 mpg, so it is not very affective in raising your mpg's. And the higher rpms you go the lower your MPG's will be in the real world results.

Last few tests that I've done net me 28 mpg each time (miles travelled devided by gallons filled to full tank). Here is the lay out:

Acceleration:
When accelerating, give enough throttle to keep the boost needle around the 30 to 15 cm/Hg vacuum range. I'm using the factory gauge so for the after markets gauges you might have to convert those number to in/Hg. The acceleration should be smooth and avoid large throttle variations unless your lowering the throttle position.

Rpms/shifts:
While accelerating you should shift at 2,250 rpms (half way point between 2 and 2.5k rpms). Try to make your shifts quick and smooth so you keep the acceleration momentum between the shifts. Now I'm not telling you to shift hard and fast where most people get the diff slap, but quick and smooth shifts that will reduce the passengers heads from moving much.

Cruise:
You want to keep the rpms as low as possible while maintaining speed with the lowest throttle and highest vacuum in the boost gauge. An example would be arount the 1.6k to 1.9k rpms range. Usually after 32-35 mph is when I shift to 5th gear for cruising. If your not accelerating then keep the rpms as low as possible but not below 1.5k rpms because it becomes a bit too much load for the motor to handle efficiently.

Another thing you might want to take into account is passengers and extra weight. If you have passengers in your car you might want to adjust cruising rpms a bit higher, but nothing too drastic. Most of my tests were done with out passengers and 80% city driving but away from heavy traffic. Also I have mixed in some WOT runs, but not very much. (maybe 5 runs maximum) Each time I've gotten between 26-28 mpg. (depending on amount of passengers and WOT runs)

I have not done much highway driving to give the best driving technique for highways. I would have to fill up and hit the highway throughout most of the tank to give the most accurate results. But for what I did drive, I kept the speed around 60-65 mph in my last gear (5th).

Feel free to ask questions or discuss in this thread of your opinions.
Old May 20, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experiences, I'll try some of your suggestions this week.
Old May 20, 2007, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

wow you read some weird stuff on evo m...
Old May 20, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JRB_EVO
Thanks for sharing your experiences, I'll try some of your suggestions this week.
+1
Old May 20, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Thats pretty much how I drive to get the best MPG, unless some ricer doesn't really understand what an EVO is...people around here think its like a regular sedan
Old May 20, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

why don't you just skip shift.
1st to 3rd to 5th
Old May 20, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
1st to 3rd to 5th

I use this odd method.
Old May 20, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the craziest post I have seen on evom...Why would you buy and evo if you are going to drive it in the aforementioned manner...Buy a civic or better yet a Smart Car when they come out, but when you drive the evo put a foot down ...
Old May 20, 2007, 07:11 PM

This is how I drive also if I'm looking for MPG (which is next to never ).
Old May 20, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

this dosn't seem like much fun
Old May 20, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

o god shifting at 2K? you must hold up a lot of traffic.
Old May 20, 2007, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1st to 3rd to 5th
someone told me this ****s with your synchros

you can always get a tune =P

i shift at 3k and i've noticed the best mpg there. on the freeway i keep it under 3k rpm also. best mpg was 23.1 or 24.1...one of those. lol
Old May 20, 2007, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the way you of driving you sugested in impossible. come on shifting at 2k? you cant even keep up with traffic shiffiting that slow. 60mph on the freeway??? semi trucks on the right lane drive faster than that.

lets just face it the evo is a 16-19mpg car.
Old May 20, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

All well and good if you want to drive like a grandma, but I just can't keep my foot out of it at least a little bit when I drive. Oh and a top speed of 60-65 is just not possible unless I was driving in an actual city in stop and go traffic Anyways, for those interested, I have begun recording my mpg so I can do comparisons between stock, then no spoiler or the low lancer spoiler, tuned, and anything else I can think of that I do. Just give me a year or so to get enough data to make worth looking at Although I have been filling up every 4-5 days it seems so maybe it will take less time.
Old May 20, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
1st to 3rd to 5th
I did try that, and it gave me 22-23 mpg.

Originally Posted by cij911
This is the craziest post I have seen on evom...Why would you buy and evo if you are going to drive it in the aforementioned manner...Buy a civic or better yet a Smart Car when they come out, but when you drive the evo put a foot down ...
Because the Evo IX looks better, handles better, accelerates faster, and has more room.

I can only afford 1 car and I want to make it the best of both worlds, quick with good gas mileage.

Originally Posted by riceball777
the way you of driving you sugested in impossible. come on shifting at 2k? you cant even keep up with traffic shiffiting that slow. 60mph on the freeway??? semi trucks on the right lane drive faster than that.

lets just face it the evo is a 16-19mpg car.
Not 2k but just a tad bit more, 2.25-2.3, basically over 2 but under 2.5 rpms. Trust me, those couple hundred rpms make a difference.

And yes the car accelerates just fine and no hold in traffic. On the highway I drove 60-65 mph, dont forget the speed limit is 55. Plus semi trucks have a speed governor so they cant go too much over 60. I cant remember the exact speed but its under 70mph.

Also dont forget most of the streets speed limits are 35 to 40 mph. You dont need to accelerate ***** out to reach those speeds at a short time.

Last edited by BluEVOIX; May 20, 2007 at 08:25 PM.