Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Reducing Emmisions

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry if this sounds newbish but is evo engine able to use E85 without any modifications or is their something needed to be done first in order to use it?
Old May 22, 2007, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with ShiftySVT.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zodiac13
sorry if this sounds newbish but is evo engine able to use E85 without any modifications or is their something needed to be done first in order to use it?
Tune your engine to E85, and it's corrosive so most people upgrade their fuel lines.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Why don't more people upgrade to E85 if you get more power and its cheaper?
Old May 22, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

i think because its not available everywhere
Old May 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

To find one near you:

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/infr...5_stations.cgi
Old May 22, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.e85refueling.com/

is another place and is probably more up to date (at least for california) since it shows more in my area than the previous.

i was also reading though that it was saying that many in the past ran dirtier from e85

"During the 1980’s and early 1990’s, many small companies were formed that were altering gasoline powered vehicles to operate on other forms of fuels such as propane, compressed natural gas, 85 percent ethanol, and 85 percent methanol. The marketing program of these conversion companies was based on the premise that it was cheaper to operate a vehicle on alternative fuels. However, the vehicles being converted were engineered, designed and built to operate on unleaded only. Shortly after the emergence of the “conversion firms” the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) determined that when converted from gasoline to another form of fuel, the exhaust emissions from these converted vehicles were often much “dirtier” than prior to conversion. See explanation regarding EPA Memo 1A. The use of alternative fuels in the transportation sector has been built around the objectives of using cleaner, non-gasoline based components."

they also say that some are looking to make kits or see if anyone else makes them that would be EPA certified

"The differences in fuel injector size, air-fuel ratio, PCM calibrations, material composition of the fuel lines, pumps and tanks are just a few of the components that contribute to making an E85 conversion extremely complex. It is our understanding that at least one company is working to obtain EPA certification. We will monitor the situation closely, understanding the certification process can be time consuming, difficult and expensive."

maybe someone who tunes the cars for e85 could make something or get some kind of certificate to make our evo's be e85 compliant according to gov. standars, might even be good money in it also.

One last thing i wanted to mention was the site also stated that

"Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties."

so wtf is up with that?
Old May 22, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
because the usa goverment is addicted to oil.They got a hughe amount of tax + personal connections...
nothing wrong with the e85. Just some how, doesn't get enough advertisment...
many countries useing it with great results .

if your car is fuel injected that is all you need:
http://flextek.com/shop.htm

that's what they say.
if it would be enough e85 gas stations around here , i would use it. Hey it's 105 octain...

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 22, 2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old May 22, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

wow that legality part is pretty intense, thanks for the info
Old May 22, 2007, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Cal City here's a link:

http://www.livescience.com/environme...l_warming.html

Anyways, it's kinda funny to me when people wants to gain more power and at the same time stay within the emissions limits. You can't have both. I remember a while back (can't remember which magazine) had a tuner shootout and out of, like 8 cars, only 1 barely pass the tailpipe test. But man, those cars made alot of hp.
Old May 22, 2007, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 80210
I'm running a TBE with testpipe and after reading An Inconvenient Truth, I'm honestly feeling a little guilty about the fact I can smell the gasoline burn off of my catless exhaust...

I know of options such as high flow cats, etc. but does anyone have any suggestions on ways to reduce emessions while keeping the testpipe? Perhaps tuning will help lean it out a bit, any other advice? Perhaps find a way to increase MPG?

I doubt this post has ever came up on evom... but I've been feeling a little guilty lately.
ok if you REALLY want to be kind to the enviroment then simply run E85!!!

then you are burning 85% alcohol and thats better than gas for the world isn't it????

on a plus side you can run more power!

and if you really really want to make things better, run stright meth! that way you can turn your boost upto about 50psi and not worry (about the fuel at least!) lol

Chris.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont feel guilty at all. Every deisel truck and van out there are doing the same harm if not way worse to the polution thing. Your EVO even before mods ran so rich it was still adding to the problem. Now its just a little worse.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tuning

any car that is properly tuned can pass smog under the limit, even w/out a cat..tuned is the key word. for AWD cars , you have a better advantage because your not going on the rollers...so you dont see what the car is doing under Load.

also, i was hoping some of these california tuner shops will be looking at flashing ecu's w/E-85 ..since you have the high octane advantage VS the crap 91 octane gas we have to use, unless you want to buy VP or something that comes in a big *** can.

here is a link to a post about e-85 and tuning
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=271465

Old May 23, 2007, 12:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Zodiac13
http://www.e85refueling.com/

is another place and is probably more up to date (at least for california) since it shows more in my area than the previous.

i was also reading though that it was saying that many in the past ran dirtier from e85

"During the 1980’s and early 1990’s, many small companies were formed that were altering gasoline powered vehicles to operate on other forms of fuels such as propane, compressed natural gas, 85 percent ethanol, and 85 percent methanol. The marketing program of these conversion companies was based on the premise that it was cheaper to operate a vehicle on alternative fuels. However, the vehicles being converted were engineered, designed and built to operate on unleaded only. Shortly after the emergence of the “conversion firms” the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) determined that when converted from gasoline to another form of fuel, the exhaust emissions from these converted vehicles were often much “dirtier” than prior to conversion. See explanation regarding EPA Memo 1A. The use of alternative fuels in the transportation sector has been built around the objectives of using cleaner, non-gasoline based components."

they also say that some are looking to make kits or see if anyone else makes them that would be EPA certified

"The differences in fuel injector size, air-fuel ratio, PCM calibrations, material composition of the fuel lines, pumps and tanks are just a few of the components that contribute to making an E85 conversion extremely complex. It is our understanding that at least one company is working to obtain EPA certification. We will monitor the situation closely, understanding the certification process can be time consuming, difficult and expensive."

maybe someone who tunes the cars for e85 could make something or get some kind of certificate to make our evo's be e85 compliant according to gov. standars, might even be good money in it also.

One last thing i wanted to mention was the site also stated that

"Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties."

so wtf is up with that?

Keep in mind you are quoting documentation written around 20 years ago, when materials were used that were damaged by ethanol, cork, natural rubber, non-anodized aluminum, etc.

Although most cars do need adjustment (PCM Reprogramming, upgraded fuel pump, upgraded injectors) Most cars built after 2002 will operate on E85 with nothing more than a proper tune.

There have been at least a half dozen Evo's converted to run E85, some are making serious horsepower numbers.

There is some truth to emissions not being as clean, but that was when technology was 30 years old, catalytic converters are designed to reduce harmful emissions, but don't eliminate greenhouse gases, no internal combustion engine will be free of that.

There are upsides and downsides to everything, although the engine will run cleaner (byproducts of combustion) It won't really reduce carbon dioxide emissions. Fuel consumption is about 30% higher also.

However keep in mind that this is a renewable resource, that can be produced here in the USA from many different raw materials (more are on the horizon as technology improves)

The biggest pitfall at this time is the lack of distribution, and the control oil companies have on every aspect of production, distribution, and manufacture. Its slowly changing, and peoples openmindedness and the ability to purchase vehicles that will run on either gasoline or E85 is improving things.

Sadly, its true that tampering with a car designed to run unleaded fuel is a violation of federal law. However you are also violating the law by almost any of the modifications for performance that alter the vehicle emissions anyway. There is no "System" out there to get a home-built alternative fuel vehicle tested and certified, and it appears that most of these laws are in place to prevent abuse of laws that might have allowed alteration of the emissions. The big problem is in order to get more people interested in flex fuels, there has to be a movement and encouragement for people and companies to be able to legally convert their cars. FWIW Even converting a car to electric is technically a violation. Only since the conversion is known to be zero emissions, its allowed.

Last edited by MalibuJack; May 23, 2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old May 23, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

I was running a cat less setup and recently put a highflow cat on. I can definitely notice a difference in power, though I do have the piece of mind that I'm legally using a cat on my car. The car isn't as loud at high RPM's either so it's an easier ride at 80mph.... not so loud.

I say unless you are a weekend warrior and RallX or Race in some way, you should try the Cat, and if you don't like it, just put the test pipe back on.

"Try the Cat" Sounds like I'm trying to push drugs on the lad.