Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pay Respects to my Fallen Brother and Fellow Evo Enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2007, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pay Respects to my Fallen Brother and Fellow Evo Enthusiast

This happened alittle while back but I have just finally entrusted you all to share this with you all.

On The Day of March 12 2007 in a Army base ( Fort Bliss) located in El Paso Texas. My bestfriend. PV2 John R Zink Jumped inside of his Red 03 Evo and went out to a friends out located about 11miles out of base so that he could go riding on his GSXR-600 that he had just bought earlier that month. John had gotten off early that day from Work and that is the only reason he was riding alone that day. He stopped at Mcdonalds and grabbed a bite to eat. And made his last phone call to a friend( Which I dont know the name of) and went back outside to his bike turned the key and with a rumble the GSXR 600 came to life and he got on put his helmet on unstrapped and took off. He was riding for approx 20min when he came across a nice straight away rode approx 4 miles out of base for him to just relax on.. A Semi truck was infront of him but in the distant withen time he caught up to it. John decided to get around the truck when it decided to turn on its turn signals to pull into a stop. Without hesisating he throttle to the side of the truck! not being aware of a car coming on the other side.. John had only been riding since a month before and he paniced. The bike went into violant speed wobbles and through him from it. The bike Slid under the Semi and John hit the ground. The impact knocked his unstrapped helmet off and then soon after his head impacted the ground. And that is the Injury the Ended Johns life the day at 12:05

I was at the Armory at Camp Lejuene NC pulling out weapons for a field op when John's dad John Zink Sr called me with a sniffle in his voice and a tremble in his words and said "Devin I have bad new." Me Knowing completely that John was a Soldier I thought the next words were John is getting Deployed which I was going to calm John down with the facts John will be fine . Im a grunt johns air defense he should be ok..The Next words out of his mouth were the most devastating i have ever heard in my life.. John said" Devin Johns dead...He died yesterday on his motorcycle in El paso" without thinking I dropped to a knee and couldnt help but just cry infront of all my marines.

Im in a unit that just stood up so when they found out the news it was less then easy to be released to go home for my bestfriends funeral but after telling them..Either you let me go or I just go. they released me.

I greated Mrs. Kay Zink, John Zink Sr. Emily Zink , and Stephanie Zink at Cleveland int airport along with John's Gf for 6 years Jenn Burns and other family and I was there for them to unload his body from the Plane that fly him up from El Paso.

I was in tears from that point untill calling hours the following day. When an Army 1st Sergeant said to me " He DevilDog...I didnt know John very well but it is obvious you did would you like to be apart of the ceremony" Of course I said yes.

The next day I woke up Early. put on my Blues adjusted my Medals and Ribbons and went to the Funeral. After the Rifle salute the Soldiers folded up the flag on John's casket and I saluted they give it to me and they saluted.

What Happened next was the hardest thing Ive ever had to hold my tears through. I turned to Kay Zink( John's Mom) and Got on one knee and Spoke the words I had rehersed the night before" On behalf of the president of the United States and the people of a grateful Nation. I present to you the flag as a token of our appreciation for the honorable and faithful Service forfilled by your loved one John R Zink. May God be with you." I presented the flag to Kay and with a tear rolling down here face She took it.. I stood back to my feet and saluted took my post.

although everyone was happy that I was the one to present the friend and I was also happy too.. I would much rather have John Back..

John wasnt my friend ...He was my Brother..

You all here at Evo might have known his as Evodisiac.
thought I might just share this with you all since you all are my online family.

http://www.myspace.com/evodisiac
Thats his myspace I know you cant really do anything with it cause i cant check it but it puts a face on the name.. the guy on the Top 8 KO Kickboxer..Thats me.
Old May 23, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

That is so terrible and sad and I am very sorry for your loss. I hope all goes well for you and his family.
Old May 23, 2007, 05:50 PM
Former Vendor

Sorry to hear my condolences to you and his Family.
Old May 23, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Terribly sorry to hear about the loss... I wish you and John's family the best.
Evolved Member

sorry for the loss. hope his family recover from this soon.

Last edited by turbochrgdbeast; May 23, 2007 at 05:58 PM.
Evolved Member

Sad news man. I wish i was a poet and could put into words what that makes me feel. Rest in peace Evodisiac.
Old May 23, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SAd, May he rest in peace!
Old May 23, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Very sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and his family.

Rest in peace
Old May 23, 2007, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

R.I.P.

It's tough loosing a good friend to an accident.
Wish you well man.
Old May 23, 2007, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

sorry and my condolences to both u and his family....may he rest in peace
Old May 23, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

As a fellow soldier this hits hard. It is hard to believe that with everything else going on one of our soldiers had to go like that. My deapest sympothy goes to his family and you.
Old May 23, 2007, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and his family
Old May 23, 2007, 07:36 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
may he rest in peace!
Old May 23, 2007, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear that. I own a bike and I always worry about not making it back to my family which makes me ride like a paranoid freak but I love the feeling of riding. Judging by the way you described it, it seemed like happened too fast for him to realize what was going on and at (hopefully) he didn't suffer. Wish you and his loved one didn't lose him. R.I.P.
Old May 23, 2007, 07:50 PM

I went through a very similar situation about 6 months ago with a good freind. As a father it was the absolute saddest day of my life to see his parents dealing with the death of their son. Such a tragedy. I fully support a graduated licensing system similar to what they use in europe for motorcycles in the US> There are just too many young men dieing every day on high hp sportbikes. The gsxr600 of today has the power of most 1000cc bikes before the year 2000. Since my buddies death I have sold my street bike and have made a pact with my son that I will buy him whatever car he wants (within reason) if he promises to never ride a motorcycle on the street.

Quick Reply: Pay Respects to my Fallen Brother and Fellow Evo Enthusiast