Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Shift Light Pros & Cons

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2007, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Little led light would be cool, maybe even helpful. Not some bright a$$ ricer flashlight shining in your face and blinding you.
Old May 26, 2007, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

I had one in my 05 RS, and i dont yet have one in my 06 RS, but i am planning on getting one......raptorperformance.com they're awesome....They help so much you dont know until you have it. Theres enough to watch when your racing, having a shift light lets to concentrate on something else. Something thats gonna make you go faster, like shifting.
Old May 26, 2007, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

i'm going to mount one over on the left in the little vent.

It should be bright enough to get my attention even when looking strait ahead.
Old May 26, 2007, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

#27 Boostless awhile back I got an email from them and that shift indicator is no longer available. I tried to find out why, but no luck. Also Mach V no longer have it.
#29 SmikeEvo you really found a great shift light (2005?). I PM Bexa20 to see if it is still available. Is it Dimmable? THX!
#30 SASD209 you have a lot of good experience. These shift lights and some have audible tone could be a real nuisance. I checked out the 07’ STi today and they have Larger gages. The STi has a LED light in the middle gage and to the left is a knob for the adjustments; also, it has an audible chirp.
Thanks you ALL for your comments!
Old May 26, 2007, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

one day i will post pics of mine.....
i hid two leds on the sides of the steering wheel column on the actual plastic piece that goes around the gauges. it actually illuminates the whole steering column....i like it alot, doesnt work well in the day b/c i used blue though

i used an msd rpm activated switch to turn them on.
my car doesnt seem to get any louder(its already screaming) past 6800....
it keeps me from shifting too early not too late.
Old May 26, 2007, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Speed Corps
I listen to my motor. I can't see the damn gauges anyways. I don't know if they still make them but Pivot had a real nice shift light that was really small. I have an auto meter Digital pro in my talon.
LOL! at the advertisement when my clicker goes on auto LANCER POWA!@@#
Old May 26, 2007, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

I used to have a shift light (aftermarket) installed in my old bugeye WRX. For street driving, it's pretty pointless. As everyone says, you should be able to shift based on sound/feel for ordinary driving.

For performance driving, especially drag-racing and circuit racing with long straights, it makes a significant difference. Think about it - you're trying to wring every last bit of performance out of each gear. It doesn't matter if your philosophy is to shift at redline or a little before since the shift lamp can be calibrated easily - the point is that you can hit the perfect shift a LOT more often with this aid than without. Going by sound and feel, I can tell a difference of maybe 500 rpm high up in the revs, I simply cannot distinguish a 200 rpm difference by sound. The shift lamp can.

Without the shift lamp, in a race, there is the chance you will either be distracted by the need to watch the tach (and not the road), and you may either overdo it (and hit the limiter) or underdo it (and short-shift). Unless you are a robot, you will execute imprecise shifts occasionally. The shift lamp is just an aid that reduces (but does not eliminate) that imprecision.

Just my two cents'.

Last edited by Turb0flat4; May 26, 2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old May 27, 2007, 06:45 AM

well, you're already driving a manual car so you obviously go by the feel and/or sound of the engine and car. I would lthink you're interest in a shift light would be more comestic then truly functional. Yeah, it's in the line of sight, but damn, whether you use your eyes or your ears, you'r still gonna shift at the same point.

My verdict? waste of money and looks rice-eeeeeeeeee
Old May 27, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

just get the raptor. safer if you keep your eyes on the road and just look for a light, not the rpm gauge
Old May 27, 2007, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

here is that picture....

there are two leds..... one to the top left of the steering column, and one on the top right.... i am using a flashlight so its pretty easy to see where it is. its usually not that noticeable
Attached Thumbnails Shift Light Pros & Cons-car-001.jpg  
Old May 28, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

SaOrlando, that's real neat! Well hidden. You probably know it; MSD has a Shift light that you could adjust rpm for each gear. Just a Hot, Gnd and a connection to the Tach. I don;t know the price. However it is not Hidden like yours.

Originally Posted by SaOrlando
here is that picture....

there are two leds..... one to the top left of the steering column, and one on the top right.... i am using a flashlight so its pretty easy to see where it is. its usually not that noticeable
Old May 28, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

I talk with Subaru Drag race driver Brian (Dude w/long hHaiR) yesterday at kearny mesa about shift light. He says you don't need one, however if you drag it's good to have it. Also they have it on their 1000 & 1300 HP vehicles.

Originally Posted by Turb0flat4
I used to have a shift light (aftermarket) installed in my old bugeye WRX. For street driving, it's pretty pointless. As everyone says, you should be able to shift based on sound/feel for ordinary driving.

For performance driving, especially drag-racing and circuit racing with long straights, it makes a significant difference. Think about it - you're trying to wring every last bit of performance out of each gear. It doesn't matter if your philosophy is to shift at redline or a little before since the shift lamp can be calibrated easily - the point is that you can hit the perfect shift a LOT more often with this aid than without. Going by sound and feel, I can tell a difference of maybe 500 rpm high up in the revs, I simply cannot distinguish a 200 rpm difference by sound. The shift lamp can.

Without the shift lamp, in a race, there is the chance you will either be distracted by the need to watch the tach (and not the road), and you may either overdo it (and hit the limiter) or underdo it (and short-shift). Unless you are a robot, you will execute imprecise shifts occasionally. The shift lamp is just an aid that reduces (but does not eliminate) that imprecision.

Just my two cents'.
Old May 28, 2007, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

i am using an rpm activated switch. which has many uses...... turn on safeguards, switch maps etc...
the particular piece i found used is a window switch...i actually could run two lights with it....one to warn me if i am getting close, the other to actually shift

i got the used one cheap.... hard to find though. summit does have one much cheaper than the msd one. i think its 45 bucks.
Old May 28, 2007, 12:58 PM

I just dont see the need for a shift light. If you have any feel for your car at all, you will already know when to shift the car.
Old May 28, 2007, 07:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ya a shift light is cool, after you get your power band and determine what rpm gets ya the best you can modify a circuit to light up the light at those rpms when in the different gears.

Quick Reply: Shift Light Pros & Cons