Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Shift Light Pros & Cons

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift Light Pros & Cons

Hello all, I was concern about revving the engine pass the safe limit. Accordingly to research; the safety cutoff is set for an Evo IX at 7800 RPM. I met a Cool member of the Allwheeljunkies name Ronald at Fusion in San Diego and he said that there is no need for a Shift light and all goes by the feel and/or glance at the Tach. My Question is does anyone use one? What kind? How is it electrically connected to your system?
I have not found any Shift light discussions in the forum and wonder why, is it because they don’t work? Or is it that all street racers just ‘Peg’ it to the metal. I like to know what you all got to say about.

Raptor: http://www.raptorperformance.com/
MSD: http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MSD/sl02.asp
My favorite: http://www.sw-performance.com/products/USL
Old May 25, 2007, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't need a shift light bro...they put the RPMs in the center of the dash for a reason

Plus you should be able to hear and feel when it's time to shift without even looking.
Old May 25, 2007, 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor

you shouldnt be shifted at 7800 if you have a stock evo...... or even a slighty modded one....

7500 rpm max on stock turbo, theres no power after that...

now if you had a pretty modded one and go thru the rpms that fast it wouldn't be a bad idea...

Cheers!
Old May 25, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

With the STI and 350Z they have a light and it would make it safer to keep an eye on the road, and not be looking at the tach, would you say so?

Originally Posted by tunit
You don't need a shift light bro...they put the RPMs in the center of the dash for a reason

Plus you should be able to hear and feel when it's time to shift without even looking.
Old May 25, 2007, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tunit

Way to offer nothing at all.
Evolving Member

What's max you would shift for stock? What do you think about the shift light?

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
you shouldnt be shifted at 7800 if you have a stock evo...... or even a slighty modded one....

7500 rpm max on stock turbo, theres no power after that...

now if you had a pretty modded one and go thru the rpms that fast it wouldn't be a bad idea...

Cheers!
Evolved Member

Con- you look like every other ricer tard.

You should only have one of these if your running a huge turbo that makes your car reach redline ridic quick.

Scorke
Old May 25, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

No I was just stating the facts...there are plenty of threads on shift lights with choices and even a How-To.
Old May 25, 2007, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor

I listen to my motor. I can't see the damn gauges anyways. I don't know if they still make them but Pivot had a real nice shift light that was really small. I have an auto meter Digital pro in my talon.
Old May 25, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

I have never use one, but the idea of a shift light would make driving manual more easier and not having to look at the tach to shift. I am getting up in years and have a little trouble seeing the gages too. But I use no glasses. I have not found any opinions on the shift light, but did find installations, however the wiring to the ECU differs from sources for the same model EVO? Have anyone use one ?
Old May 25, 2007, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

No cons all Pros....when you start driving fast cars a very bright shift light mounted in the line of sight is your best friend.
Old May 25, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Con- you look like every other ricer tard.

You should only have one of these if your running a huge turbo that makes your car reach redline ridic quick.

Scorke
My RPMs jump really quick when I get on it...but I am really afraid of lookng like a ricer so I didnt get a tach. I was thinking of installing a light in the air vent in the middle.
Old May 25, 2007, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TRUE-GRIT
What's max you would shift for stock? What do you think about the shift light?
around 6900-7100 each gear.. and hold 4th gear down the 1/4

PM me if you need any driving help

Cheers!
Old May 25, 2007, 02:30 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cssaddictm4
My RPMs jump really quick when I get on it...but I am really afraid of lookng like a ricer so I didnt get a tach. I was thinking of installing a light in the air vent in the middle.
Who cares what anyone thinks, **** em. As long as your not driving a piece of shat with 100lbs of bondo holding on your fake body kit that is 3 different colors, it doesn't matter. Or have every gauge known to man with just an intake and P.O.S. muffler welded on. Do it cuz you like it, not because of what everyone might think. My evo is stock looking and dumbasses called it rice. F%$k em.
Old May 25, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Speed Corps
Who cares what anyone thinks, **** em. As long as your not driving a piece of shat with 100lbs of bondo holding on your fake body kit that is 3 different colors, it doesn't matter. Or have every gauge known to man with just an intake and P.O.S. muffler welded on. Do it cuz you like it, not because of what everyone might think. My evo is stock looking and dumbasses called it rice. F%$k em.
Stock evos are very ricy looking, altezzas, big wing, front mount..... A shift light I think too looks horribly ricy. If you cannot figure out when to shift by feel/sound and your not deaf or a new owner I find that shocking....

Scorke

Quick Reply: Shift Light Pros & Cons