Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

restarting a car, takes alot of fuel?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
restarting a car, takes alot of fuel?

Ok, just wanted to bring this up to get something straight. Yesterday i had a discussion with my girlfriend about letting a car idle vs. turning it off and starting it back up. My girlfriend will always let her car run for 5 min whenever she just has to run in and do something real quick, i hate that, i always see it as wasting gas and since gas prices are terrible, so i shut the car off, well she hates wen i do that because she says that since cars are fuel injected that it takes more fuel to restart the car than it does to just let idle for 5 min. If she is right? i'll be proud of her for the knowledge so wats your opinion about this??

Last edited by bvdawg13; May 30, 2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old May 30, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

For five or ten minutes you would save more gas by shutting it off. Now for a minute or less then I think you would save more gas by letting it run.
Old May 30, 2007, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

I saw a video recently where one guy claimed to inclease gas mileage by turning his car off at red lights. I'd probably just turn if off for wear and tear sake, the gas is just an added bonus if your obsessive compulsive enough to care.
Old May 30, 2007, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

I thought that was true of disel cars/trucks, not sure though?
Old May 30, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

I think it would only waste more gas if the you wait long enough for the cat and coolant to cool, because then it would run rich to get back into closed loop.
Old May 30, 2007, 08:06 AM
Former Sponsor

she is correct in assuming that there is more fuel used in startup then there is in normal idle operation. however, it will take very little time to more then make up for the extra fuel used starting, by turning the car off for any reasonable wait period. for instance, hybrids usually turn off the gas motors as stop lights because it is more efficient to not use fuel then.

the mythbusters actually had a good episode that sort of relates to this. the myth was that light bulbs use more electricity in start up then they do normally running. they tested a number of different types of lights, and it was generally true, they do use more energy during startup, but it was for fractions of a second. thus it was more efficient to turn the lights off if you left the room then to leave it on.
Old May 30, 2007, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Mythbuster's FTW....
Old May 30, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

seems like my gas gauge would go down every time i restart the car, but then goes back up after a while of driving. i have this same question when i have to wait for a long time in the in-n-out drive through.. probably better to leave the car on for a min or two than to restart the car.
Old May 30, 2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 4wheel_motion
I saw a video recently where one guy claimed to inclease gas mileage by turning his car off at red lights. I'd probably just turn if off for wear and tear sake, the gas is just an added bonus if your obsessive compulsive enough to care.
hope whoever he was had alot of $$ for new starters
Old May 30, 2007, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

you're pretty much always better turning the car off when it comes to saving gas.

however... it does put more stress on the motor to keep stopping and starting it.

so anything more than like 2 minutes and you'll want to turn it off... but every light is a little excessive.
Old May 30, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

I would be willing to bet that in the end, it all evens out in the wash.

No matter what you do, you can spend $150 at the end of a few years for a new starter because of all the wear and tear, or you can spend that money for the gas you burn while thinking you are saving the wear and tear on the starter.

Speaking of wear and tear on the starter, I happened to be at the powerwash a few days ago, and a really hot chick commented on the EVO, and as the conversation was getting to an end, I hit the remote starter button, and the car started. She then made the comment how cool it was to have one, and how it's nice to have because it saves wear and tear on the starter.

I told her I had to go then....
Old May 30, 2007, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

ill turnmy car off at train crossings, or draw bridges but thats about it
Old May 30, 2007, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
they had a special thing on my local news about saving gas and they claim it saves gas shutting your car off if it will be idling for 1 minute or more.
Old May 30, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the amount of gasoline used in an average car when starting it up (assuming that the car is already at operating temperatures) is equivalent to the amount of gas the motor would use when idling for about 30 seconds. But of course this varies from car to car.

Then again, shutting your car off would probably save you less than a dime in gas each time, but as mentioned before, you'd create more wear-and-tear on your ignition system.
Old May 30, 2007, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
turn it off. only uses more gas at the first few cycles or cold start... but several thousand cycles per minute... c'mon who are we kidding. turn it off unless you wanna save your starter or battery.

Quick Reply: restarting a car, takes alot of fuel?