Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say go Spec Stg 2. What I've noticed with the spec clutches is that they have very stock like feel. Even my stg 3+ is great with the pedal feel. Unfortunately it grabs like a twin disk...
Old May 30, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I have experience with the ACT HDSS and have a 20-page thread about how much I didn't like it. Your choice on that one - my experience isn't the same for everyone.

I do not recommend Spec.
Old May 30, 2007, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

^ Comp?
Old May 30, 2007, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Exedy stage 1 it is, thanks again for the great feedback guys!
Old Jun 1, 2007, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, higher gears have higher load and thus put more stress on the clutch. It will always slip in the highest gear at peak torque (peak boost) the most, and then over time it will happen more and more in the lower gears.

If you're not going to do any racing or launching, then you can get a single disk organic type clutch, such as the Exedy stg1.
Peak torque does not necessarily occur at peak boost .
Old Jun 1, 2007, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Yea I heard warr issues with the ACT HDSS

But then again many of us use this set up with out issue.

I dont recommend the Spec either

I have the ACT HDSS and Gruppe-S 10.5lb Flywheel combo. I have had no issues in 20k +. 7000 rpm the car ****s into gear perfect. Never a lock out. Then agian I dont race my car like Warr does. For a street car the ACT or Exedy single are fine. If your going to track the car you'll need more clutch.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

The Stage 1 Exedy organic is his best choice. The stage 2 I would say is too agressive, although I like how it acts and shifts; this is my personal clutch right now.

The HD is overkill for his setup, while the SD would be a great choice.

I have not installed a spec although the one I drove was on/off like a light switch.

I have had cars act fine with the ACT HDSS and others drive like garbage, locking out out and poor shifting. Most of the time I was able to fix this by adjusting the clutch, bleeding the system, and even once adding more trans fluid. I also have seen more cars with the HDSS have other trans or drivertrain problems than any other. Although this could also be attributed to the fact that it is probably the most popular clutch besides the expensive Exedy twin.