Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Response

In higher gear, when I am running somewhere between 2500 and 3500 rpms, when I step on the gas hard to accelerate, the engine moves, but the rpms don't move for a second. Then the rpms catch up to where they should be and the car accelerates like normal. This only happens in higher gears, anyone have any ideas what this might be?
Old May 30, 2007, 10:41 AM
Former Vendor

Are you saying it bogs out? Doesn't make sense that the engine would rev but the rpm gauge can't keep up.
Old May 30, 2007, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's not throttle response - that's a slipping clutch.
Old May 30, 2007, 11:22 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
That's not throttle response - that's a slipping clutch.
Yeah, but he's saying the exact opposite of slipping clutch problem. If the clutch was slipping the rpms would shoot up but the speed of the car wouldn't change. He's saying the engine revs but the rpms on the gauge don't move, at least thats how I'm reading it. Maybe he's got it backwards.
Old May 30, 2007, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Speed Corps
Yeah, but he's saying the exact opposite of slipping clutch problem. If the clutch was slipping the rpms would shoot up but the speed of the car wouldn't change. He's saying the engine revs but the rpms on the gauge don't move, at least thats how I'm reading it. Maybe he's got it backwards.
He just doesn't know how to describe it, because he's never experienced it before. Many times, people don't notice the first part (rpms shoot up), but they definitely notice the 2nd part (clutch grabs and rpms stabilize).

I say this, because I've seen other people describe it this way several times before, because it's physically impossible for the engine to spin up without the rpms increasing, and because it only happens in higher gears (higher load = clutch slips).
Old May 30, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

yeah... that's the clutch starting to go... you put the most load on the clutch and motor by putting it in a high gear at low RPMs, also EGT numbers go through the roof.
Old May 30, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Listen to Warr, you will find (if you stick around long enough) he knows what he is talking about.
Old May 30, 2007, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

I thought that if it was the clutch I'd notice it more on the lower gears. When shifting through the first few gears there isn't a problem, and the RPMS raise normally. I was afraid it was the clutch. If Warr says its the clutch than I'm pretty confident that he's right. He obviously knows what hes talking about. Any suggestions on a clutch that feels similar to stock but handles a bit more HP? I'm planning on running about 300 to 325 whp in the near future after my tune. I want the clutch to handle it. This is definately a new thing to me, first car with a stick and I have about 25k on the stock clutch.
Old May 30, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

No, higher gears have higher load and thus put more stress on the clutch. It will always slip in the highest gear at peak torque (peak boost) the most, and then over time it will happen more and more in the lower gears.

If you're not going to do any racing or launching, then you can get a single disk organic type clutch, such as the Exedy stg1.
Old May 30, 2007, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe a bit of launching and racing. Not much but I might bring the car to the track to get some slip times. Whats the next step up from the exedy stage 1? BTW Thanks for the good info Warr!
Old May 30, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clutch!..
Old May 30, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
Clutch!..
LOL I think we've established that. THANKS!
Old May 30, 2007, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

If not the exedey organic stage 1...go a step higher...perhaps the two disc exedy clutch...don't forget a new flywheel to go with it (though I think it comes with one)
Old May 30, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I only suggested the stg1, because you asked for "a clutch that feels similar to stock but handles a bit more HP." If you plan to race some and want a really good clutch, get the Exedy Twin HD cerametallic.
Old May 30, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

I'm probably going to stick with the stage one after doing a bit of research. I am also looking at the ACT equivlent the street disk. I know you said the exedy, but again I'm very new at this and I want to make the right decision. Any experiance with the ACT? I'm also thinking that i should replace the flywheel. Any suggestions on that? I know I'm just raping you for your knowledge. THANKS AGAIN WARR!!