Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

fix engine or sell as is? serious issue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spun bearings is easy to fix. DO NOT SELL THE CAR WITH A BLOWN ENGINE. Replace Crankshaft, connecting rods, oil pump, and bearings. You don't even need to remove the engine from the car. Good luck.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn....Im going to check my oil right now! Spun rod bearings can be repaired unless you blew a hole in the block. I say you buy the parts and have a nice time putting it back together.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only 2 qts and you put 5 in ??????? Either you did not or the engine burns a lot of oil. Which you would see pouring out the back. Is this car stock?

I find it very hard to believe you ate 3 qts of oil in 6K miles. And did not see it. Sounds like the car had issues .

OTOH Mitsu is not known for being lenient on their warranties. They will not honour them if they can get away with it.

Sorry to hear you got troubles. One of the above posters is right though..I would certainly think very hard about buying a car that had a blown engine at 14K even if it was replaced under warranty or completely rebuilt. There is absolutely no way to know if the car was bad from the factory...( now w/o warranty ) or it was severely abused or had no maintenance done or whatever. its too big a gamble.

I have 22k on my MR, it doesnt burn a drop, no noises, no dents etc and Im the second owner. I did have to replace the tires at 9k, that was because the previous owner had the alignment all screwed up. See my sig for new alignment. And I have 11 k on the YOKO ES100 with more than 1/2 tread left.

I fail to see how "so many owners" think the car has warranty issues and has bad trannies and clutches from the factory. Mitsu is not going to warranty an expensive car when it comes in modded out and the clutch judders at 1k or the engine needs replacing at 4k because the oil was not changed and the owner was practicing "a few launches at 6k but only once at the dragstrip"

The OP may not have done this but many people doabuse their cars and expect the manufacturer to stand behind abuse or neglect. I do not believe in that. However Mitsubishi should stand behind the car if there are no mods and the records are complete and valid. No excuses there.

I hope the owner gets something from Mitsu at the least.

My 2c

Milburn
Old Jun 2, 2007, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one question, can u hear the knock? if than how? i thought it's only show on datalogs.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by oldscholevo
ya ok. it burn that much oil..
if it burn that much. all you see is smoke at the back of your car.
If the OP doesn't check his oil often what are the odds of looking for smoke out of the pipe at WOT or him being able to tell if it's oil smoke or just the factory pig rich smoke.

Besides it depends on how he drives the car. If those are track miles or hard miles and the car wasn't properly broken in I could definitely see it using that much oil in that time frame.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

besides burning oil did you ever check to see if you were leaking out oil. I know the crush washer on the drain bolt has a specific torque spec, could have leaked out some oil which in turned caused your dilemna. good luck with everything man. I sent my g/f out just now to go get my oil done now, got me all worried. better to be safe than sorry
Old Jun 2, 2007, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ElectricEvoIX
I sent my g/f out just now to go get my oil done now, got me all worried. better to be safe than sorry
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:24 PM

rebuild it!!! or buschur racing block... i had a first gen eclipse gsx with some buschur parts. awesome stuff
Old Jun 3, 2007, 08:27 PM

i replace that crush washer on the drain bolt every oil change, cheap and very important.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

If you're going to spend the money at the dealership to get it fixed, might as well take it to a reputable Evo shop close to you have have it built. Your warranty is up shyte creek anyways. It'll be better than a factory rebuild for sure
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:13 PM

If i was keeping the car i would go buschur all the way. They have good stuff. I must admit it is tempting to keep it and rebuild it the way i would want it.

Yea i agree...definitely replace that little damn washer. Im positive it had a leak form there..i thought it was my truck. damn, still dont see how it could of been that much. O well, lesson learned..gotta check this stuff all the time. Pretty expensive lesson though!

If the dealer will put another warranty on the engine then ill go with them, other than that though i would rather give someone else my business. The dealer said 6100 to do it, Sun Devil Auto said 5700...those are the only quotes i have gotten so far. I am going to ask the dealer about a warranty tomorrow.