Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tranmission Trouble

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Tranmission Trouble

Hi all-
I've had my Evo-8 for about 7000 miles now and have really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my tranmission is having some difficulties
The car has been broken in properly, and I've had it in for the first service (oil-change, tire rotation, inspection, etc.) at around 4500 miles. I have had the 1-2 gear grinding near redline about 85% of the time, and figured it to be the inherent nature of the beast - pausing momentarily between shifts fixes the problem sometimes. Now, EVERY time I shift to 5th gear, regardless of RPM range, it grinds. I'm taking it into the dealer service tomorrow. Anyone else have similar trouble?

Evo 2003.5
Old Jun 21, 2003, 07:53 AM

Evilution - the other one not me has had tranny troubles. His thread is around do a search
Old Jun 21, 2003, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

bring it back to dealer have them check it for you
Old Jun 21, 2003, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Tranmission Trouble

Originally posted by Evo2003.5
Hi all-
I've had my Evo-8 for about 7000 miles now and have really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my tranmission is having some difficulties
The car has been broken in properly, and I've had it in for the first service (oil-change, tire rotation, inspection, etc.) at around 4500 miles. I have had the 1-2 gear grinding near redline about 85% of the time, and figured it to be the inherent nature of the beast - pausing momentarily between shifts fixes the problem sometimes. Now, EVERY time I shift to 5th gear, regardless of RPM range, it grinds. I'm taking it into the dealer service tomorrow. Anyone else have similar trouble?

Evo 2003.5
So sorry to hear of your trouble.

Up to about 1,500 miles I had a 1st-2nd upshift grind most of the time at high revs (6,000 plus). I now have about 3,500 miles and I can't remember the last time this happened.

I hope MMC will get you fixed up. I don't see why not.

Flybyevo...
Old Jun 21, 2003, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

I just changed my Syncro, on my Evo..
The car is about a year old with just 6200 miles..
Take it to your garage and let them check that..
Old Jun 21, 2003, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

my friend dropped the first US evo8 transmission about 2 weeks after they came out and it was to fix a 5th gear grind. they changed every single part that was associated with 5th gear cuz they couldnt figure it out and didnt want it to happen again. it was under warranty but he said that poor driving was most likely to blame.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 09:30 PM

Welp - took the Evo into the dealer for the repairs. They mentioned calling the MMC tech folks first, as it may be a commonly documented problem, but I'm thinking it will be a big job. It should be done by Thursday.

On a side note -- I pull into the shop's bay and there's a black Evo sitting there. Turns out the kid that drives it, burnt-up the clutch already (at about 3000 miles on the clock). Needless to say that wasn't covered on the warranty.

Evo2003.5