Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Inspection garage did some serious damage to the EVO

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inspection garage did some serious damage to the EVO

Yesterday I went to a Monroe Muffler around the corner from my house to get my overdue inspection taken care of. I got there right when they opened and was the first one to get taken care of. So, one of their techs takes my car around to one of the bays and attemps to put it up on the rollers for the emissions tests.

I could see the kid was having trouble getting the car up there, I figured he didn't know how to drive stick well or something so I walked over to offer some help. when I got back there the tech had a scared look on his face and all he said to me was "man, look at your door, I'm so sorry". He must have left the door open while trying to get it on the rollers, I don't know if he stalled it or just let it roll back on its own but what you see below is the damage.

From what I can tell the door, fender & interior panel along with all the hardware is shot. Luckly the owner of the store was present when it all happened and he was very apoligetic about the whole thing. He said they will cover the damage 100% (yeah no kidding) and went right out and got me a rental car to drive around in the mean time.

another thing i noticed was that the rollers this guy was putting the car on was for a 2wd car, if he tried to drive the car on there is would have driven right off and went into the wall. Its kind of hard to see in those pics but there is only 1 set of rollers, maybe its a good thing the kid stopped when he did

I made sure to tell the owner that the EVO is the #1 most stolen car in the country and he better keep it locked up in the garage overnight. It also needs to be garaged in the rain because now you can't close the door or roll up the window and I do not want my interior to get messed up. I was assured it would stay inside. luckly for me I only live about 1/4mile from the shop so I will be driving by on a daily basis, taking pictures, to ensure everything is taken care of to my standards.

Its going to the body shop tomorrow (Monday) for an estimate. My guess is that its going to be 2-3 weeks until its repaired. In the mean time I'm driving around a chevy colbolt from enterprise rentals with crank windows and AT.

Does anyone with experience doing body work know about what this will cost and how long it will take?
Old Jun 3, 2007, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear. At least you're getting taking care of.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Man! Seems you're being quite calm on this.. I admire your patience and i hope it wont be much till you get it back to normal.. White is an easy color anyway, good luck!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

I know it's not your fault, but didn't you know that they didn't have an AWD roller set? or would they just pull the rear up on stands (all unsafe like)?

And you're seeing the silver-lining in all of this, you're right! If they had got it up there and tried it out who knows who would have gotten hurt. And the car would have sooooo much more damage than just that.

But the owner seems like a good guy and will take care of the situation! Business owners that take responsibility for their employees actions FTW...

Best of luck, and ask to keep the door and sell its good parts!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Oh man.....sorry to hear about your Evo.
All I can say is blood would have been shed had that been me.

Hope it doesn't take too long to get her back.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

dammmn man sorry to see this, Hope everything works out for ya.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Waz996
Man! Seems you're being quite calm on this..
thats what everyone has said to me so far. people are like "man I would have flipped out" or "they would be taking me away in handcuffs" but what would that solve and how would that help the situation any? the answer is it wouldn't.

Accidents happen, its not the first time something like this has happened and I'm sure it won't be the last. don't get me wrong, I am upset this happened because my car is out of my hands for who knows how long and I'm now driving around a damn colbolt instead of MY car.

Yes its an EVO but if you look at the big picture its still just another car.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
I know it's not your fault, but didn't you know that they didn't have an AWD roller set? or would they just pull the rear up on stands (all unsafe like)?
I didn't know and its not my problem to have to check. thats their concern, not mine.

I don't really know what the kid was doing trying to put it on those rollers, maybe he wasn't doing emissions I don't know. All I do know is that "IF" he would have tried to drive the car on those I would be driving around in a new IX or maybe even a X
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really want to know why you even let them try to put it on rollers when it's not an AWD dyno. That should have been the first thing you did when deciding on a place to get inspected - check the rollers. That's the first thing out of my mouth: "This is an AWD car - do you have an AWD dyno?" That's unless I can see the rollers myself and know without asking.

I didn't know and its not my problem to have to check. thats their concern, not mine.
It's definitely your concern - those people don't know the difference.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

It's definitely your concern - those people don't know the difference.
Nope that incorrect. its their job to know the difference, not mine. Thats why you PAY them to do the inspection.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
That's the right attitude to have. Acting like an immature a*shole would probably only make it harder to get things resolved. At least the owner of the shop seems to be going about things the right way.

I would just make sure to have a reputable body shop look at it and make sure everything gets fixed properly. A lot of body shops are shady and do crappy substandard work. Sometimes they'll quote things to be fixed or replaced and then just half a*s it together to increase their profit.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
On a side note:

Why are they putting the car on rollers for emissions? Is it a dyno or just something to let the car freewheel?

Here in NC they just hook up to your OBDII for emissions. They used to have the sniffer but they would just hold the car at 2500 rpms in neutral for a set amount of time.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
On a side note:

Why are they putting the car on rollers for emissions? Is it a dyno or just something to let the car freewheel?

Here in NC they just hook up to your OBDII for emissions. They used to have the sniffer but they would just hold the car at 2500 rpms in neutral for a set amount of time.
thats what I'm not sure of, maybe he thought he was going to drive the car on the rollers for emisisons and maybe not. I'm not an inspection certified mechanic so I can't say for sure.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some states use rollers. They did in VA until recently when they switched to only checking the OBD-II for CELs.

AlwaysInBoost, you're basically paying the state. The inspection station doesn't get much, and they don't have a clue if your car is AWD - it doesn't have an AWD sticker on it anywhere, does it? Yes, it would still be their liability if they put it on the 2wd rollers, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least have some common sense and check. I thought every Evo owner knew to check that when getting an emissions inspection...
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
It's definitely your concern - those people don't know the difference.[/QUOTE]

well.. so you telling me, i even have to tell them my car is awd , fwd or rwd? So they not going to run out or run into the wall?
so i go the inspection station and nobody knows the basics about cars? that is what you saying? When you go the inspection station you start telling people what they have to do, since "you know better"?
Probably they realize it when they got the papers, its an awd drive car and they can't do it. So they back up but left the door open. Most cars you can't tell from outside they are awd .
But they responsibility to know wich car they can or they can't inspect, period. that is nothing to do with the customer.
If someone stupid enough to do it ,that is they problem.