Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

K&N drop-in...feels slower...WTF?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
K&N drop-in...feels slower...WTF?

Only "mod" that I've done so far (my IX is only two months old) is to put a drop-in K&N filter (got it as a gift from a friend). But, I've noticed that the strong pull at WOT when the turbo kicks in seems to be less after putting in this filter. I've switched back and forth and the stocker seems better. But, I've seen a dyno chart from a magazine showing that the K&N does produce more power. Anyone experience the same issue I'm having? Maybe the K&N just sucks and I should get a different filter or full CAI, TBE and tune?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was brand new when you put it in, right?
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More than likley you KN filter had way too much oil on the filter part and stickied you MAF all up. You need to go to the store and by some MAF cleaner and clean it out. I have seen this happen before. The filters come from the factory with way too much oil on them.
Evolved Member

maybe your evo is pulling timing because of the drop-in (although its usually not the case).
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doesnt he need a tune ?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mifesto
maybe your evo is pulling timing because of the drop-in (although its usually not the case).
Definitely not the case. It is either too much oil on the filter or the 2 clips on the snorkel might be off.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

^^^yea that too check the clicks that hold the snorkle part of the intake down.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Flash it= 25whp and better gas mileage.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 02:17 PM
EvoM Community Team

Thanks for all the feedback. I just can't figure this one out. The filter was brand new (was still in the sealed plastic wrapping inside the box). So, good to go there. And, having heard that these usually have too much oil, I let it sit out for a full day on top of some napkins to get any of the extra oil out of it before I put it in. I guess it still could have had too much oil. Good suggestion scottatayamaha to check the MAF sensor.

A couple of you have mentioned "clips on the snorkel"...what exactly is that? All the clips on the stock airbox are on correctly.

Thanks again guys.

You know what? Come to think of it...I'm not sure the MAF was affected. I've swapped the stock air filter back in and the car performed normal. Then I put the K&N back in and the turbo response seemed flat again. Then back to stock filter and normal again. I'm so confused...

Last edited by atombomb33; Jun 4, 2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I've seen a pic of the K&N filter compared to another brand, and the top surface area was actually smaller. The thickness is pretty deep like the stocker but the square top surface seemed small. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

I've noticed that most k&n's come with too much oil. I've been told to take an old pillowcase, toss the filter inside, and toss it around for a while. Really tho, a drop in filter shouldn't make a noticable difference one way or the other regarding how much power your car makes. Maybe its just a tank of bad gas, or an unusally hot day?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 04:35 PM
EvoM Community Team

I had a tank of bad gas once after eating some mexican food and noone wanted to stand around me...

Seriously though, not sure what the deal is. It's not that big of a difference, but something I can feel. At this point I'll probably just scrap the K&N and go with a CAI, TBE and get it tuned. Oh well. Thanks everyone.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

i know you only have a drop in, i have the injen intake and mine is noticably slower as well. just get a tune
Old Jun 4, 2007, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
The clips/ or fasteners they are talking about are the two black plastic ones that hold the snorkle to the radiator support beem. If they are not put back in the snokle will start to lift at speed and choke the air flow going into the box.

Your car will feel like it hit a wall though
Old Jun 4, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

The only way to know for sure is a dyno test. The butt dyno does not have the sensitivity to discern a few HP. The placebo effect is most likely the culprit since this is the first time I've heard of the K&N reducing power.