Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tracked the Evo last friday. Thunderhill Raceway!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2003, 04:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
umm! No comments on the vids? Don't tell me you guys bought your Evo because of F&F 2. LoL
Old Jun 23, 2003, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

bye bye wrx

nice vids
Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

For more pix, go to

www.digiproofs.com password: thill620
Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

nice pics and video
Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Sweet pics!! Downloading videos right now getting a ****ty transfer rate of 9.44kb. How often do you track your car? I have never been to thunder hill but, plan on going soon.

You are in the Bay Area, right? Do you know a shop with a all wheel dyno?
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:49 PM

Just looked at the video of you against the C5 and NSX. Nice video. Looks like you are a pretty good driver and know the track really well. I'll be going to there for the first time in November (got it booked with about 25 other co-workers). Wish I could've gotten a better view of the track while you were driving. I understand there are a few scary off-camber turns.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EVOtook
Sweet pics!! Downloading videos right now getting a ****ty transfer rate of 9.44kb. How often do you track your car? I have never been to thunder hill but, plan on going soon.

You are in the Bay Area, right? Do you know a shop with a all wheel dyno?
Yah... the server is slow alright.

I try going to the track at least once a year and the most I can attend is twice a year. This open track sessions are not cheap but it sure hell is worth it and loads of fun. Buttonwillow I find the cheapest from all the track here in cali but it's a long drive from the bay. I find Thunderhill one of the funnest track in cali though. Laguna Seca on the other hand would be awesome and just wishing that I can fork up the extra amount to go.

BTW... I've only gone to 2 shops here in the bay that has an awd dyno. Vishnu(Pleasanton) and ATP(Fremont). They use different types of dyno but I'd say, pay Vishnu a visit if you have a chance.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by davidw333
Just looked at the video of you against the C5 and NSX. Nice video. Looks like you are a pretty good driver and know the track really well. I'll be going to there for the first time in November (got it booked with about 25 other co-workers). Wish I could've gotten a better view of the track while you were driving. I understand there are a few scary off-camber turns.
Thanks mang! That was my first time driving the track in reverse course. I find it a lot funner that the normal config which I believe is what you'll be running in November.

Just watch out for turn 3... that's the off camber turn. Don't lift, just plant your foot on the gas and you'll go thru it fine. Thunderhill is a 3 mile road course and there are lots of turns. There is also that mini cork screw like Laguna Seca. It's blinding but as long as you set your reference point into a bridge(there's a bridge on the other side of the track), again.. you'll go trough it fine.

Will this be an HPDE(High Performance Drving Experience) event? Who's hosting the event?

Last edited by DB8GSR; Jun 26, 2003 at 07:47 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Last bump! To see more pix... go to www.digiproofs.com password: thill620

Old Jun 26, 2003, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Why don't you post your fastest lap time to the Hall of Fame. See my sig for a link, and send to the email address on that page. Fill in all information you see for the other track times listed.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Question - how did your brakes hold up? You still on stock pads and fluid? If so, how did they hold up?
Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jedinite
Question - how did your brakes hold up? You still on stock pads and fluid? If so, how did they hold up?
yes sir! Stock pads and fluid. They held up great actually. Didn't get any brake fade. I've ran Hawk HP+ mated with Brembo blanks from my previous car at that same track and once it was heated up, I started to get brake fade. The rotors would get so hot that it'll start to smoke. On the Evo, never saw that same situation. Although, I experience a one time brake chatter during the first couple sessions probably due to my driving style, I changed my style immediately and using the brake less and let the Evo rotate on it's own. Worked perfectly and became comfortable even more on the car.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by DB8GSR

yes sir! Stock pads and fluid. They held up great actually. Didn't get any brake fade. I've ran Hawk HP+ mated with Brembo blanks from my previous car at that same track and once it was heated up, I started to get brake fade. The rotors would get so hot that it'll start to smoke. On the Evo, never saw that same situation. Although, I experience a one time brake chatter during the first couple sessions probably due to my driving style, I changed my style immediately and using the brake less and let the Evo rotate on it's own. Worked perfectly and became comfortable even more on the car.
Did you have any kind of brake air ducts installed on your car? I was wondering whether the brake cooling air guides are necessary on the car.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by davidw333

Did you have any kind of brake air ducts installed on your car? I was wondering whether the brake cooling air guides are necessary on the car.
The Evo actually has air passages to cool the brakes down a bit. You can see it on this pix... it's on that plastic cover and I apologize for the size. Don't have time to resize it.

Cooling air ducts will help but normally, it's the pads and the kind of fluid that will matter the most.