Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

car overheating/getting hot

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car overheating/getting hot

hey guys i got a overheating problem with my car. i have a 2003 evo with almost 72k miles on it. the car gets hot. there is no leaks anywhere and the coolant overflow tank does not over flow. i have yet to change the timing belt and water pump yet. there is no oil in the coolant or strange color in either the coolant or the oil. and no smoke out the exhaust. so i dont think its the headgasket. i think it might be the water pump since i have 71k (semi hard miles on the car). what do you guys think?

what timing belt and water pump should i get?. just OEM? and isnt there anything else i need to replace down there too?

- shane
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:20 AM
Fomer Vendor

It could be your pump. Have you ever had the system flushed? And you should definitely be thinking about doing the timing belt service, your over the recommended mileage.

Are you modified? If not, stock belt is fine, if you are, I would say go with the Gates that TTP sells. Its cheap and strong as hell. Oem for water pump, and other parts that should be changed are the balance shaft belt (included with timing belt), timing belt tensioner pulley, timing belt idler pulley, balance shaft tensioner pulley, hydraulic tensioner.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like it could be a possible culprit. change it and see what happens
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:34 AM

my car is overheating too. make sure there isn't any air pockets. check you fuses and make sure your fan is working.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

i changed the coolant just yesterday cause i figured it was that and i the fans are working just fine. so i think im gonna go ahead and start to tear down that side of the motor tonight or tomorrow. any other suggestions?
Old Jun 9, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how fast and how high does the temp gauge get? possibly the thermostat hanging up. i fixed my moms 735i bmw, found the headgasket had a slight leak that was pressurizing the system over time. pressure=heat.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

pretty quick. like it goes to warm and stays for a min or so and then keeps raising. like i said i dont think its the headgasket. im gonna check the spark plugs later on when i get back home
Old Jun 9, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

do a leak down test!your mileage is exacly when my head gasket started to stretch
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

how exactly do you do a leak down test? oh and im boosting 26-27psi (meth). again there is NO leaks
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Does it over heat while your cruising on the highway?
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

um, I would figure out what is wrong with your car before you start throwing parts at it. Like others have said check for air in the system, leaks when the system is warmed up, sticking thermostat, faulty radiator cap, and fans are working. Is your car drivable? does the tempature ever stabalize? Also, if your pump is going bad it should dumpcoolant out the front.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

alrigth i just checked all the plugs and they are good.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

there was nothing wrong with the car when i started modding it thank you very much. im gonan try the thermo tomorrow. it just kinda like goes up and doesnt come back down so no. no stablizing.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is something that just started happening over night... not a progessive thing..

I would guess it is a part that just failed... If it was the headgasket, I dont think it would happen that quickly...
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Roldy
Does it over heat while your cruising on the highway?
i havnt really tried, i dont watn to overhead it bad. so i cant really answer that but im gonna say yes