Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mounting cooling fan and controller?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2007, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting cooling fan and controller?

Well since my fan pretty much exploded somehow and put some holes in the radiator I bought a Koyo replacement radiator and a 12" slim line fan, but I've never installed an aftermarket fan before so I had a couple questions about mounting...

1) How do I actually mount the fan to the new radiator? I got the fan today but the radiator's coming monday, but when I put the brackets on the fan they didn't line up anywhere near the stock mounting holes, and the lower mounts didn't reach the bottem of the stock radiator when the top mounts were at the top of it. I've heard of ppl using zip-ties and going through the brackets on the fan and through the coolant passages on the radiator, but wouldn't that harm the radiator? Those passages aren't very strong and the fan does have some weight to it.

2) Where do I mount the fan controller, since it was mounted to the stock fan?

Thanks
Old Jun 9, 2007, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Normally the aftermarket fans will come with (4) Straps that will got thru the radiator fins. Each end has a disc or washer to secure the fan in place.
Now depending on how big the fan is you should be able to still mount the fan module. Use the upper right hand corner threaded section where the old fan used to mount. Using an 8x1.25 bolt approx 30mm long, thread the bolt in and secure the module.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Those type of fan suck. SPAL fans are very nice. I bought one of these after using the type that mounts with straps through the radiator.

Planet EVO has is pretty much covered what you're needing... I would say if you're not in a hurry and can afford it.. send the slimline back and get a SPAL from Bushcur Racing or another vendor.

Here is a pic of my SPAL fan on a Koyo racing radiator with the module mounted on the lower driver side.

Old Jun 9, 2007, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Yup I agree the SPAL fans are the best.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

looks like your gonna have to fab some brackets