Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Let my dad drive my car tonight.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let my dad drive my car tonight.

Went over to my parents house tonight to see my moms new GMC Acadia, nice car by the way. My dad and I got to talking about cars and he was saying how fast his old muscle cars used to be back in the day when he was a kid and how my car was a jap car and what not and he should not even let it sit in his driveway(he was kidding). Little background on my dad, he used to own that Ford Mustang GT350 white with the blue racing stripes that is on Muscle car TV all the time on Speed Channel, he was the orginal owner of the car. Then he went on to work for GM for 37 years, he is now 68 years old. Well I threw my dad the keys to my car and said lets go for a drive. He had never driven it before and I can not even remember the last time he drove a car with a 5-speed. I was a little nervous about it, but holy crap my dad could drive the hell out of my car. He had no problem at all slamming the gas in first and grabbing second like a pro, he could also work my race clutch like he had been driving the car for years. He was blown away by how fast the car was and I dont think he will ever talk smack again. I can see him telling all his golf buddies now. Well just a little story i felt like sharring.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

post pix of your dads mustang ..
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome got to love the dads!
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, my dad keeps egging me on to get a 600RR so he can ride it (hes 63 years old). I just may have to listen to him.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

its always fun to let the old school dads take a ride or even drive the car... its nice the see the expressions on their faces when they get that rush of adrenaline... and then the stories that come after and the compliments that you get are always great...
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

yeah my dad used to have a old school duster that ran 11 sec 1/4 miles... and my grandpa had an old rust bucket nova that was totalled sitting next to the barn with a supercharged 454 in it...
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

haha, my dad is the same, he recently told me my car sounded like a helicopter. im just itching to get him in it and show him the power haha
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome!!! Let your dad take it on a mountain road sometime and I bet he would really love it!!!
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I still remember when I first took my dad for a spin. He got scared before I was even out of 2nd gear since he wasn't used to boost like that. Afterward, he started e-mailing me all these links to all sorts of articles from various publications about it, even though I already had all of them. I later visited my parents and drove them to a funeral we were attending, but on the way back, my dad said, "Show your mom what this car can do," and I hit a curve (marked 15 mph) at well over 40 mph, not accelerating but at a constant speed, and she grabbed the handle and freaked out, yet the car was completely stable and there wasn't a hint of tire squeal, then I punched it. She was amazed.

However, at this point, I'd be too paranoid to let my dad drive my car, seeing how he taught my older brother how to drive stick, and they downshift without rev-matching. Plus my dad is happy with his automatic transmissions, so I'm trying to egg him on to get a Mercedes AMG.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 08:03 PM

similar thing happened with me and my brother who is alot older than me. He drives an Olds 442 and has a few friends with some muscle cars that he hangs out with. He wasn't completely negative when it came to imports because he respected Supras and some 300zx's but didn't know much about Evo's or anything 4 cylinder with boost. So I tossed him the keys and we cruised up some roads, hit some twisties and he got a couple launches on a camaro that was following us. By the end he was like I won't ever doubt you and your car. Its nice to enlighten a car guy to something else thats out there.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

cant scare my dad...but my mom slapped me and told me i better f@%$ing slow down. it was only the second time i ever heard her cuss
Old Jun 11, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

My Dad is 62, but hes always been a motorcycle guy. He drove my car and admitted that it was faster than my old turbo 240 and handled better. My Grandfather on the other hand... . When he drove my old car his smile got larger as boost increased... Im going to see him again here in less than a month... Cant wait til he drives the Evo!
Old Jun 11, 2007, 08:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Right on!

your dad would be pissed if he knew you doubted his driving abilities!!

hell, he owned a gt350! he has the bug & passed it on to you!

he knows all about mowing through some gears while trying to keep the girl pointed straight all while on 4-ply tires!

my bug was implanted when my dad gave me a ride in his 69' 440 r/t 4 speed 6pack car! i was 4 @ the time. 480 ft/lbs of torque @ 2,800 revs...yeah like that ever found its way to the ground

I still remember being planted into the seat when he mashed it in 1st gear. I still love that feeling today.

i bet your dad is still sporting a chub for working your little japanese girl!
Old Jun 11, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
^ I completely agree. I remember I had a buddy who drove one of the recent Camaro Z28s, and all he ever cared about for the longest time was American V-8s. Not even European V-8s, but American V-8s. Interestingly, he was really into motorcycles, and I went with him when he was considering purchasing a Yamaha R6. The owner of the R6 also had an STi that had EBC, downpipe, TBE and coilovers, and since at the time I hadn't been in an STi, I asked him if he could take us for a spin, and my friend rode in the backseat and was pretty excited during the ride, saying that he finally had respect for imports. A few months later, I bought my Evo IX (in February 2006), and the day I bought it, I drove to his house (he lived a few streets away from me in Newport Beach) and gave him a ride, and he was blown away by the boost, and that was just shifting at 5000 rpm (since it wasn't broken in yet), and when we hit corners, it was a whole different story.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
thank god its not one of those horror stories... "dad crashed car"

...glad he had fun in the EVo

Quick Reply: Let my dad drive my car tonight.