Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buschur Racing is heading to the Grassroots Motorsports UTCC!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
all day awards @1830.....

Good luck Brother ...............
Old Jul 27, 2007, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David and Robert you guys will be in my prayers to have a safe fun filled a** kicking day! Show them what kind of caliber the Magnums got!!!
Old Jul 27, 2007, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Who won? Updates...
Old Jul 27, 2007, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Hello, what were the results.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 07:05 PM

here is a picture i was able to take... larger pictures can be emailed
Attached Images  

Last edited by Tarmac_IX; Jul 27, 2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tarmac_IX
here is a picture i was able to take... larger pictures can be emailed
So who won? There's not a "gag" on this for non-participants until a magazine comes out. Preytel...(sp)?
Old Jul 28, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

I'd love to know how this turned out as well.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Update.....

What a miserable weekend........

Ends up at the last minute I am going to be the only one taking the car down to southern Virginia, so I am not too happy about going by myself. I was talking with Rober Fuller and he volunteered to fly in here at the last minute and ride with me. Rober got in on Wednesday and went over the alignment on the car and installed some new trick parts.

Thursday we were up early and on the road. We needed to be in Virginia to sign in and get tech'd before 9:30 pm.

Somewhere in Virginia we were going down a long grade (9%) and I heard something from the engine of truck. The truck is a 2003 GMC, one ton dooley, 4 door, 2wd with only 83,000 miles on it, Duramax engine and Allison trans. Robert heard it too. Next place I could pull off I pulled over and checked the oil. Oil was full but I could still hear something. I told Robert, F*** it, we'll drive it until it breaks.

We finally get off the exit to 58 off of 77. We start down another long grade at by this time the engine sounds like crap. The truck dies and looses all power on a very narrow, twisty road that is also 9% down hill. I wrestle car truck through the corners and try to find a road or parking lot to turn off into. Guess what the next road was? You won't believe this.........Route 666, yes, no kidding. So I turn down the road and off to the side. We are out in the sticks at this point! Robert plugs into his Garmin and finds me a GM dealer 5 miles away. He calls for two tow trucks. This was at 4:30 pm.

The guy shows up to give us a ride and haul our trailer to the dealership. Another wrecker is on it's way for the truck. I tell the dealership I have no time to mess around, I need to buy a truck and get back on the road. They didn't have what I wanted so I took what would work. At 6:30 pm we were back on the road with the old truck traded in, new truck hooked up to the trailer.

We get the track, get signed in and tech'd, drop the trailer and go to find the hotel and some dinner. I will say we both had one of the best steaks I have ever had a Texas "something or another".

Next morning we get up, start the car and Robert heads out on the track. He has NEVER been to VIR before, so I know how he is, he will get faster everytime he is out on the track. First time out he runs a 1:38. I could hear an exhaust leak on the car near the turbo but couldn't find it.

He came back in, everything looked good. Boost was at 24 psi, AFR's were rich-right where I wanted them. I can see TONS of power left. He says he is fine with the power as the car is fast as hell, just wants more track time.

This is where I fail Robert and owe him an apology, SORRY ROBERT.

He goes back out and I am watching the car from 3-4 different corners during his 20 minutes. He looks MUCH faster in the corners than the first time out. I know it is going to be fast.

When the car comes in it doesn't sound good. HUGE exhaust leak. I pop the hood to find that the cartridge from the turbo has fallen out of the turbine housing. Robert goes to get the times from the session, he runs more 1:38's. Well with the turbo falling out it would not spin and the AFR's were horrible. Boost was down to 15 psi.

Needless to say, I was pissed off. The car was HOT, the weather was HOT and trying to work on it was impossible. I dumped water and cold fire on the turbo assembly to attempt to get it cold enough to manage. Finally I just decided to get burnt. I found enough bolts and washers to cobble the turbo back together, fired it up and it sounded good. Made it in time for the 2nd timed session.

Now before I go on I want to tell you, this event was no joke. There were drivers and cars here that were above anything I have seen or ran against. For example, Tommy Archer was here in DODGE's Viper, full race deal. He ran a 1:30 in the practice and a 1:28 in the 1st session. I told Robert that I was freaking amazed he was there and in our class. I also told him he was off the hook for a 1st place finish. He pointed out to me that Danny Popp was about the same caliber and so was the Corvette he was driving, I took a look at the car and agreed. He was only a few seconds off the pace of Archer. At this point I told Robert if we could podium with those two guys I'd be a very very happy dude. Ends up Danny Popp wasn't in our particular class.

So, 2nd session comes, Robert goes out and I see smoke. HOUNBSDHOIUOUWE!!!!!!!! Not happy!!! I know he is going to get black flagged and I hoping he can get a clean lap in first and then come in on his own. He has some fast laps but does get black flagged so nothing counts. DAMN IT. I meet him at the trailer and jack up the car. Then entire bottom of the car is soaked in oil. The intense heat from the turbo seperating let the exhaust gases completely seperate the oil return line on the turbo. I get the hose, clamps etc to fix it and get right after it. Robert goes to get brake clean. I manage to fix the car and get it back together. It sounds better than it did all day.

The next session is our last attempt at placing. I have confidence in the car and the power level. We put on new tires. Robert, honestly has not had any good track time yet. First session was decent, 2nd sucked as he had no power, 3rd was a few laps only.

I still have confindence in Robert. Well ends up because he was black flagged the run before he is getting put WAY back on the grid. He talks to them and gets put back up closer to the front but still back far enough that a clean fast lap is going to be tough.

He knocks another 2 seconds off his times and comes in.

I feel I let the race effort down with the turbo problems. Stupid problem that should have never happened and I robbed Robert of being able to get on the podium, which I am 100% confident a 3rd place finish would have been very possible had he gotten in his practice runs.

So we ended up finishing 4th in the Shop Varsity class, which was the fastest class full of some bad *** race cars. We finished 5th overall for the entire event, Danny Popp was the 2nd fastest car overall in the Independent Varsity class running a 1:31.072 beind Tommy Archer.

Tommy Archer in the Dodge backed Viper won with a 1:28.401
Derek Whitis in a Noble 1:33.631
Chet Fillep in a Mosler finished second with a 1:33.794
Robert Fuller in our EVO, 1:36.157

Robert Fuller, you did a great job, thanks for the company on the ride down, thanks for giving it your all on the track and for setting up the alignment on the car.

Very sorry to let you down on the turbo problem. I know you gotten on the podium with some additional track time.

I have to be honest..............in the field of cars that were there, a 4th place finish isn't too darn shabby and even with the truck blowing up, me spending $23K on a new truck that I didn't want, the broken turbo, sweat and headaches, I still had a great weekend and am pretty proud of our finish.

The drive home.................it sucked too

Last edited by David Buschur; Jul 30, 2007 at 05:33 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Dammmmm! I knew it must have gone poorly because there was no reports as to what happened. I'm surprised you didn't pack a spare turbo! When you pulled off onto Route 666, I probably would have turned around and went home....
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

I enjoyed your write up David. Sorry to hear about all that continued to happen but it is awesome to hear what type of cars the Buschur Magnum can hang with. Nice job Robert

VERY GLAD to hear you made it back home in one piece after all of that David!

P.S. Won an Ebay auction yesterday and now have a 32ft tri-axle trailer! Will be looking for some big Buschur stickers to put on it when I come out
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Dave, sorry for the pains, you had one TOUGH weekend. I know that route of 77 well, you were in the sticks.

In that field, you did quite well, hold your head high, you did us proud, especially considering the obstacles you had to overcome.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I edited my post. The times I was going off of when I typed that last night were not the final times. Sorry.

We ended up in 4th place actually and 5th overall. So 4th is even better

Thanks for the support guys.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Considering all the problems you guys had and the lack Robert's experince at that particular track, you did one heck of a job coming up in 5th place overall.

Dave and the whole team should be very proud of their performance!!!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
5th overall is not too shabby considering the very stiff competition. I can't believe a Dodge backed Viper was in the same class! Excellent job!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Cool

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I edited my post. The times I was going off of when I typed that last night were not the final times. Sorry.

We ended up in 4th place actually and 5th overall. So 4th is even better

Thanks for the support guys.
Dave,
So did you at least end up with one of the new LMM Duramaxes with the 6 speed Allison?

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing is heading to the Grassroots Motorsports UTCC!