Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Carbon Fiber Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2003, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon Fiber Pros/Cons

I've been looking at the aftermarket carbon fiber trunk and hood options. I have also researched by looking at some threads here dealing with these components.
I apologize in advance if I am rehashing an old topic but I didn't see an answer to these questions in my research.

1. Does the weight change adversely affect any handling characteristics of the Evo? I didin't think that it would but thought I'd ask.

2. Does the carbon fiber trunk or hood decrease the car's overall rigidity? I know that some of the regular Lancer components (doors, etc.), while interchangable with the Evo's, are not as rigid as the equivelant Evo part. Does anyone know if the carbon fiber has more, the same or less rigidity than the equivalent Evo components?
Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2003, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Its an aluminum hood bro, not a CF one. The wing is CF, however. Just wanted to clarify on that.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

I think he already knew that hence, "...aftermarket carbon fiber trunk and hood options."
To answer your question though, CF is stronger and lighter than aluminum. If you just wanted to go for the show factor, it's great... but the evo hood is already lighter than a feather. You will just have a stronger hood and trunk. I don't think it will affect the way the evo handles or accelerates, you would need to lose a lot more weight than that to notice a difference.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the info.
I was interested mainly because I want to replace the spoiler equipped factory trunk lid with a spoiler-less trunk lid. There is a member here who removed his spoiler and plugged the holes but I was thinking that I would just replace the whole trunk lid with a CF version. Of course by the time I buy and paint it I would be into this little project for some serious coin.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

yea... why is everyone hating on the spoiler? I love it

but for the record I hate CF hoods... except on Black cars

-Shahul
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Shahul X

-Shahul
haha, see i like CF hoods on everything but black cars. unpainted that is.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Shahul X

-Shahul
I agree with Shahul
those cf hood look terrible, pure rice, they were cool untill every civic got one.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

you need to rethink your definition of rice i think
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:28 PM

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the spoiler its just that I want my car to go unoticed. As long as the performance is there then I'm happy. I have gotten plenty of attention in the past. You know, the kind of attention that comes with sirens on top of it.
The spoiler is cool and as long as one is happy with what they drive then its all good.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

You know that the spoiler is there for a purpose...right?
Old Jun 23, 2003, 02:02 PM

Yes. Actually how much a role the spoiler played in the Evo's overall performance characteristics? My experience with spoilers does not translate to this car too well so any information would be great to hear.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

i read somewhere that the spoiler provides 11% more downforce in the rear at speed. what speed i dont know sorry but im sure its got to be pretty fast
Old Jun 23, 2003, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Unless you drive at extreme speeds or at your cars handling limits I would say you would probably not notice a difference other than better rear visibility.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

You probably wouldn't notice it...but I hear about these people here racing to 120's and at those speeds you will wish you had it. I think it was the Audi TT's that were unstable at high speed before that little spoiler was added. who knows how the EVO will react when it was designed with the spoiler in mind. Personally I'll put my life in the hands of the engineers with the wind tunnel.

Even without the spoiler your car will be easily noticed. Look at the huge front mount IC and huge hood vent. The fender flares and the huge red brakes. This car without the wing still screams "I'm hella fast".
Old Jun 23, 2003, 03:34 PM

Yeah the smooth backed Audi TT's were killing people on the Autobahn and I think a few here in the states as well. VW had a spoiler option for the Beetle that actually caused instability at high speeds!
Even though I don't plan on 100+ driving speeds or closed track driving I would probably feel safer with it.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Pros/Cons