Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

yet another totaled Evo...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: yet another totaled Evo...

Originally posted by superz
another totalled Evo here in NY. Some kid wrapped a Blue Evo around a light pole on the Saw Mill river parkway. Rolled over and looks as if noone survived. Im sorry for their families. Im pissed at how some guys are treating these cars. There goes the f*ck@ng insurance rates. Some tend to beleive that because of AWD, ABS, AIRBAGS and racing heritage, the EVO will handle anything. I said it before and I'll say it again, too many young kids that have no real experince with high performance, ultra sensitive and responsive cars, are getting Evo's and are ruining for the rest. Of course I dont mean every young guy, just the great majority. Its sad when you see these cars being driven by someone that has their license for a couple years. I just hope more responsibility is used when buying these cars (as well as other fast cars-StI..).
What is your idea of young men? Most people I have seen totalthere Evo's are married and are older then 25 or so. Yes 25 may still be young, but if you don't know any better by then then it's a lost cause. How many people have totalled there Evo that are under 20 anyone?
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:30 AM

Whiners... 3200.00 a year.. 22, no tickets, no accidents. Thats right.. I payed over 360.00 a month at age 19 to own my Z. I don't think you guys have much to worry about. Sad that people are wrecking left and right.. but I wouldn't just assume they are all younger. I can drive circles around my parents and they are 40 & 42. My dad is pretty afraid on the Z... I would say that its driver experience and skill..not AGE thats a factor here. Cheers
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

i hope the people in the car didnt die or werent seriously injured, or werent injured at all. and if so my heart is with their families. THEY ARE THE REAL vicitims, not us.

so is this B.S. ranting about insurance and age and experience gonna go on everytime an evo is crashed????

how bout when someone crashes and there is a post about it, all of the replys are simply condolensces. that would be a tad more respectful than "these idiots keeping taking their own lives and i have to pay for it"
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

i agree but sometimes it is because they are foolish... they are the victim but they did it to themselves, the victims are the survivors

-Shahul
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Driving skill and maturity determine risk.
Most younger people are less mature and have not honed their driving skills yet.
But that does include all young drivers.(only maybe 95%)

You must understand and respect the laws of physics to drive safely.
It is really that simple.

Driving in the USA is a privilege.
The way they hand licenses you would think it was a right!

My 2 cents

Drive safely.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

$310 for 6 months ???

Dam living in the middle of nowhere definately has it's benefits i guess... I live in the NYC metro area and i'm paying just over $1k/6 months, and I'm 24 with no points and no accidents... I can't wait till i turn 25
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Damn wish I could afford a Evo I would be careful with mine. I would drive it safe.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SpikeLS1
It's almost gotten to the point that we need a "graduated" license system like they use in Europe. There kids can only drive motorcycles and such of specific engine size and output power. HAHAHAHA MAJOR OWNAGE!! We really don't need another govrenment beaurocracy, but if the parents are so dumb sh%t stupid as to buy their kids an insane sportscar for their 16th birthday,well then maybe we do need a new government program. Geo Metros for all 16 year olds!

GREAT IDEA!!
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good budy of mine, said his rates dropped in half when he traded up from a Z28 to a Z06. He then realized that the age demographic might have some effect. What is the average driving age of a Z28 vs a Z06? We figured that must be it, since he stayed the same age, but the car value went up by double. How many wrecked Z06s have you seen? I can't think of one, not that I have been looking though. If you find a pic, let us know. I would like to see how well they hold up.

/<
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. It should also have a reward system for lower insurance rates and privilages for those with better driving records.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by k_fabec
Good budy of mine, said his rates dropped in half when he traded up from a Z28 to a Z06. He then realized that the age demographic might have some effect. What is the average driving age of a Z28 vs a Z06? We figured that must be it, since he stayed the same age, but the car value went up by double. How many wrecked Z06s have you seen? I can't think of one, not that I have been looking though. If you find a pic, let us know. I would like to see how well they hold up.

/<

I used quick quotes availabe on various websites of insurance
companies.... I get lower quotes with brand new 52k MSRP Z06s
than my old 97 M3 that worth below 20k....
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

So some of you guys thought that nobody was ever going to get in an accident in an Evo? Everyone gets into an accident sooner or later. It doesn't matter what car it is. If you haven't been in one yet than consider yourself lucky and brace yourself for impact because it's coming. 4 out of 5 people will be involved in a car accident in there lifetime.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:10 PM

Whiners... 3200.00 a year.. 22, no tickets, no accidents. Thats right.. I payed over 360.00 a month at age 19 to own my Z. I don't think you guys have much to worry about. Sad that people are wrecking left and right.. but I wouldn't just assume they are all younger. I can drive circles around my parents and they are 40 & 42. My dad is pretty afraid on the Z... I would say that its driver experience and skill..not AGE thats a factor here. Cheers
1. Most insurance companies have not figured out what an EVO is yet. My agent - State Farm had to call the main office to run the VIN, after I asked if he was sure about the 1st rate they gave. Many think it does not even have a turbo. After he received the VIN, sticker price and asked about turbo my quoted rate went up.

2. 22 is young. Statistics show Males under 25 crash the most. Fact. That's why your insurance is insane. 6 years of driving = newb. I think the biggest thing about age can be the no fear thing / judgement. I am not saying it fits ALL people in the that age range, but I know I took much greater risks when I was 21 versus 35. I used to be invincible I have no idea how many totalled EVO's and how old they are, but statistics will not be in the < 25 yrs favor.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by k_fabec

/<

Actually, there was a 19 year old with a Z06 in my area who got into a major wreck, with $18K worth of damage. I wish I had the pic with me, but it was the spurt of the moment, unexpected, ya know? How do I know? A friend of mine works at a Chevy dealership and told me that a Z06 came in with $18K worth of damage
Old Jun 23, 2003, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Did you know that left-handed people get into more accidents than righties?

Quick Reply: yet another totaled Evo...