Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Underdrive pulley snapped off?????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Underdrive pulley snapped off?????

well, last friday i was driving normal down the road and all the sudden i lost power steering, temp gauge started to rise, etc. shut the car off and looked under the hood and noticed the belt came off the pulley. towed it back to the house, looked underneath and the underdrive pulley was hanging there, all four bolts were snapped off! have no idea how it happened other than from the vibration from the billet lower engine mount slowly rattling them lose or something. i'll post pics soon...........
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Your like the second or third persion that has posted about there lower pulley comeing off. Just breaking the bolts right off.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats pretty interesting. I got a noob question. Are you talking about a underdrive pulley that replaces the Harmonic Ballencer (pulley on the crankshaft).
Old Jun 19, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

the underdrive pulley that runs the alternator, ac, etc. there is another cam gear lookin thing that drives the timing belt that the underdrive pulley attaches to. that is where the bolts are broken off and are stuck in. it sucks and i wonder how much the parts are goin to cost.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by freshsrt-4
the underdrive pulley that runs the alternator, ac, etc. there is another cam gear lookin thing that drives the timing belt that the underdrive pulley attaches to. that is where the bolts are broken off and are stuck in. it sucks and i wonder how much the parts are goin to cost.
parts cost? should just be the 4 bolts....
Old Jun 19, 2007, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by idriveanevo
parts cost? should just be the 4 bolts....
no. when the bolts were coming lose they widened the holes on the pulley, then broke off. so, i need a new pulley, bolts and its looking like i'll need the timing belt gear that is on the crank. doesn't look pretty..........
Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Ok that is the harmonic balancer That you replaced. What happpened is the After market underdrive pulley has holes that allow a slight amount of play around the bolts, or the bolts weren't tightened correctly. The peice you destroyed is called the Crankshaft timing gear, which need to be replaced. I would just put the Stock harmonic balancer back. You will get more out of a lightweight flywheel than the underdrive pulley anyway.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont believe the part was aftermarket or replaced, it was stock.

Matt, start looking for someone parting out a wrecked one and see if you can get those parts from them. You could also maybe get in touch with that place brad had his car at and see if they have a car up there.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Did your serpintene belt come off the "track" in the pulleys? Does your AC work? VIbrations at about 3-4K RPM, whereas you can feel the vibrations in your seat? If so, I know what your problem is.........
Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
Ok that is the harmonic balancer That you replaced. What happpened is the After market underdrive pulley has holes that allow a slight amount of play around the bolts, or the bolts weren't tightened correctly. The peice you destroyed is called the Crankshaft timing gear, which need to be replaced. I would just put the Stock harmonic balancer back. You will get more out of a lightweight flywheel than the underdrive pulley anyway.
i need to replace both. both have damage to them. anyone have an estimate of the parts prices? hopin it won't put to big of a hole in my pocket..........
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

happened to me today i havent looked to see what is messed up as of yet
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Dude that's scary.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

The crank pulley has two functions. First is to run the serpentine belt and second is to dampen tortional vibrations. A one piece crank pulley will not dampen those tortional vibrations. This will end up vibrating the bolts loose. On MKIV Supras, I have seen them contribute to clutch / flywheel / TC / flexplate bolts all loosening also.

I highly suggest staying away from any pulley that eliminates dampening. The HP gained from turning the accessories slower is not worth the risk of damage and down time due to bolts coming loose.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

what brand pully was it?
Old Jul 7, 2007, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Stock