Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hit a dip in the road pretty hard--odd noises now--any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hit a dip in the road pretty hard--odd noises now--any ideas?

Guys,

I was on the highway's access road the other day, far right lane, crusing around 60-70mph (It's a fast access road). I saw a dip in the road that was barely visible and was going to change lanes to the left lane only finding a car coming out of my blindspot.

Long story short my right front wheel hit the dip -- which sounded like a mortar just hit the car on that side. The vibration could be felt through the whole car, and I figured for sure that the wheel was going to be bent.

When I stopped and got out to inspect--the wheel was fine. It didn't visually look out of round, the tire was okay, tire wasn't losing air pressure, etc. But later that night I noticed more noises (clanking, metal pinging, etc) coming from that side when I'm coming to a stop or turning the wheel going slowly (just before the wheel stops).

I had the car up on jacks the other day to have the cams put in, and didn't notice anything odd with the wheel off. The Zeal coilover didn't look bent, the lower arm looked alright--but I'm not a body shop guy and don't really know what could be causing the new noises. It's a relatively subtle noise, but definitely new. I at first thought it was a floating brake pad (like on motorcycles) but it doesn't happen everytime I press the brakes. Nor does it happen every time I turn the wheel. Usually right after startup I'll hear the noise, but while I'm driving the engine/road noise eliminate me from hearing any of the oddities. If I turn the wheel from stop to stop (with the car static), I'll hear it the first couple times and then it goes away. CV joint? Brake caliper? What could have been damaged hitting a hard dip/pothole?

Any ideas on what it might be? Anyone know what I can measure down there to make sure nothing is off?

Last edited by belizelittle39439; Jun 25, 2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 01:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dang dude, sounds bad. It oculd be the sway bears, or ure cv joint. I think u can fix it cheap. Take it to a shop that does fre dignostics and get it checked out.

good luck
Old Jun 26, 2007, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

i would bring it to the dealership and complain about the noises......and never mention about the dip.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

I've got aftermarket coilovers. Complaining about the noises would be on deaf ears as far as the warranty is concerned.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 02:51 PM

take er to the stealership
Old Jun 26, 2007, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Damn Texas roads....dealership wont do anything for that.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
Damn Texas roads....dealership wont do anything for that.
might as well give it a shot though. Who knows - they just might fix it for you. Good luck
Old Jun 29, 2007, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input thus far fellas.

I took the wheels off and checked the how both front suspensions moved when turning the wheel. Both are function as they should while on the jacks. The preload collar was loose on the right coilover, so I reset the preload and tightened her up again.

Took it for a drive and at first didn't hear anything. Soon afterwards I heard it plain as day. Popping, cracking noises when turning--I think I might have heard a pop or two going over bumps sometimes. I'll check the tower bolts and the 125 torqued bolts at the hub. I still have the stock suspension so I may r2 them to eliminate the aftermarket coilovers from the equation.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for alll the assistance there evom members! (Note the sarcasm for those that had experience with stuff like this and didn't post up)

I took apart the front right side of the car and looked over everything. Took off the aftermarket strut--relubed the pillowball upper mount, tightened up the collars, and torqued everything to spec.

No more noises! (aside from cabin rattle in 30 places).
Old Jul 2, 2007, 03:34 AM

Sounds strange.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 02:20 AM

mmm check the struts, bolts/nuts strapped to the struts etc....and check the alignment too..

hope u get it sorted !
Old Jul 4, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

If you still get a vibration then I would check the wheel. There is no way to tell that a wheel is out of round just by looking at it. I bent one of my rims and the rims still looks perfect to this day sitting in my garage. However when you put it on a balancer you can clearly see the wheel is wobbling side to side.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

I don't get vibrations at all, it was only noises coming from the right front.

But you're right, I probably should check to make sure everything is legit down there.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Don't be so sure that your rim isn't bent, as it very well could be. I'd remove the tire from the rim and check by rolling the rim on a smooth surface. Even bent rims can hold a tire seal. Glad your initial noise(s) is gone.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

I just read DSMEVOLUTION's post ... nevermind.

Quick Reply: Hit a dip in the road pretty hard--odd noises now--any ideas?