Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

maintenance costs on EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2007, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not having AYC makes it a lot cheaper than Japanese and European Evo's.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 09:54 PM
Account Disabled

I would rather pay for the maitenance and have ayc then not though
Old Jul 1, 2007, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ultimatesteve
I think I paid $8 for the filter and about $8 a qt for royal purple, so just shy of $50.
If you noticed I said around $7 for the OEM filter. The manufacturer suggest using Mobil One Synthetic so that is what I use and you can purchase a five quart container from Wal-Mart for less than $30.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 09:36 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Chemwarrior
If you noticed I said around $7 for the OEM filter. The manufacturer suggest using Mobil One Synthetic so that is what I use and you can purchase a five quart container from Wal-Mart for less than $30.
If you noticed sonicnofadz said
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Synthetic oil and a quality filter are a must (which can cost around $50 per oil change)
you asked
How do you compute that an oil change is around $50?
and I simly showed you how you compute it. Just cause you can do it cheaper doesnt meen everyone else can and wiil
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

So if someone can show you a less expensive way of doing something with the same results then why would you opt for the more expensive method? I understand it's not my money and they can spend it any darn way they want, but I was only trying to be of assistance.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:35 AM
Account Disabled

So if someone can show you a less expensive way of doing something with the same results then why would you opt for the more expensive method? I understand it's not my money and they can spend it any darn way they want, but I was only trying to be of assistance.
How do you compute that an oil change is around $50? A five quart container of Mobil One synthetic is around $26 at Wal-Mart and the OEM oil filter from the dealership is around $7. Unless my handy dandy calculator failed me that adds up to around $33. That's the same it cost me for my 2002 Galant. I will concede that you have to change the transmission and drive train fluids more often. As I said previously how often you pay for wear and tear items (clutch, brakes, tc's) depends upon your driving style. As far as tires are concerned if you are satisfied with a nice set of ultra high performance all season tires then they are not any more expensive than on normal cars.
reread your post. Quite frankly you come off like a sarcastic ***. All I was doing was pointing out that even though your handy dandy calculator computes a lower cost doesnt make the guy who stated it can cost as much as $50 wrong. I have been at the dyno when royal purple was tested on my car and picked up 4hp. Also I ran my 96 impala ss with RP for 40k miles and when I tore down the motor I was shocked at how clean everything was,. So to say it does the same thing is false IMHO.

If all you really want to do is "be of assistance" the maybe next time you should try something like...................

"You dont have to spend $50 on a oil change. What I do is get a jug of mobile 1 from walmart and a oem filter. Should cost you about $33 total."
^sounds much better then trying to belittle another member that was actually just trying to help.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ThrottleJunkie
So I'm pretty new to the EVO community, and I would like to know what the maintenance is like on this car. Expensive? How much attention do you have to pay to the maintenance on the EVOs, esp the IX? I'm coming from an M3 so I'm used to paying high premiums for this so can someone put it in perspective?

This thread should be of help.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ultimatesteve
reread your post. Quite frankly you come off like a sarcastic ***. All I was doing was pointing out that even though your handy dandy calculator computes a lower cost doesnt make the guy who stated it can cost as much as $50 wrong. I have been at the dyno when royal purple was tested on my car and picked up 4hp. Also I ran my 96 impala ss with RP for 40k miles and when I tore down the motor I was shocked at how clean everything was,. So to say it does the same thing is false IMHO.

If all you really want to do is "be of assistance" the maybe next time you should try something like...................

^sounds much better then trying to belittle another member that was actually just trying to help.

My apologies if I offended your delicate sensibilities. How's that for sarcastic? I wouldn't be so quick to openly claim that you supposedly claimed four horsepower by using a particular brand of oil off of a dyno run. Everybody knows that each dyno run can give varying results. Have you ever tore down a motor that used Mobil One Synthetic? If not, how do you know it wouldn't be just as clean as using Royal Purple.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 09:15 PM
Account Disabled

I wouldn't be so quick to openly claim that you supposedly claimed four horsepower by using a particular brand of oil off of a dyno run. Everybody knows that each dyno run can give varying results. Have you ever tore down a motor that used Mobil One Synthetic?
I have never seen a 4hp difference from one run to the next with a half hour of each other.

I personaly have never torn down a motor ran with mobil 1, but a friend that owns a machine shop has. I would go on but I have a feeling Im waisting my time.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

It's never a WASTE (not waist) when you are learning something.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
I supply the labor so I'd say maintenance costs me about $100 a year not counting tires.

Wow that's not bad. My friend is an ASE certified mechanic who does all the work on my car as well but i spend much more than that!

1. I do an oil change every 3,000 miles. So the cost of 5 quarts of oil and a filter....

2. I hand wash my car at the car wash bays at least once a week, which adds up to a little less than $5.

3. The fluids in the car, i was recommended to change every season, but i usually do it about twice a year. The fluids can get pricy also.. ( synchro-mesh, redline..)

4. If you plan on drag racing your car at all... keep new clutch, tires, and the center differential in mind.

Other than that... its not too bad
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

I change my oil every 3k which is around 30-35 bucks
every 15k i change all the oils (6 speed is more for tranny oil i think it is around 100 bucks retail for about 1 gallon)
rear diff and trans case is around 45 bucks for 1 gallon this oil well go farther then the trans oil

so if you drive 15k a year u well have

1 set of tires 600-1000+
5 oil changes = 175
1 trans and diff oil = 150 worst case

+brake pads clutch so on when you use them up.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you compute that an oil change is around $50? A five quart container of Mobil One synthetic is around $26 at Wal-Mart and the OEM oil filter from the dealership is around $7. Unless my handy dandy calculator failed me that adds up to around $33. That's the same it cost me for my 2002 Galant. I will concede that you have to change the transmission and drive train fluids more often. As I said previously how often you pay for wear and tear items (clutch, brakes, tc's) depends upon your driving style. As far as tires are concerned if you are satisfied with a nice set of ultra high performance all season tires then they are not any more expensive than on normal cars.
Not everyone uses Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart (I prefer Amsoil), and not everyone changes their own oil. A synthetic oil change at a garage can cost up to $60 easily. The larger rim size of the Evo will require spending more on tires, thats just a fact. The clutch and brake pads for the Evo are also much more expensive than your average car, also a fact. If you do all your own work, it can cut costs significantly, but not everyone is a mechanic.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Jul 2, 2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Not everyone uses Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart (I prefer Amsoil), and not everyone changes their own oil. A synthetic oil change at a garage can cost up to $60 easily. The larger rim size of the Evo will require spending more on tires, thats just a fact. The clutch and brake pads for the Evo are also much more expensive than your average car, also a fact. If you do all your own work, it can cut costs significantly, but not everyone is a mechanic.
I understand with what you are saying and concur with it, but what I was saying is that it is not necessary to spend that much money on an oil change when it is not necessary. By the way I use Amsoil in my transfer cases. You don't have to be a mechanic to change your own fluids. If you can turn a socket wrench then you can change your fluids. It's not rocket surgery or brain science. I've already conceded that wear and tear items like the clutch and brakes are more expensive, but tires don't have to be. I'm not saying you have to settle for some Wal-Mart specials. I replaced my stock Advans for Kumho ASXs for a less expensive price than the tires that I replaced on my 2002 Galant. It only takes a little shopping around to find the good deals.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo costs will vary according to how hard and how often you drive:

It wont be cheap either, tires wear all 4 instead just 2. You will be spending more on an evo than say a civic...

As for the Mobil 1 debate... RP, amsoil, redline are all good but Mobil 1 was made for the concord jet (the fastest airline plane) Plus its put in the most factory cars... If you run anything else you one run the risk of one, the two oils (orig/aftermkt) mixing and not working together creating a big prob (have had this happen!) and two, factory no longer willing to warranty any motor claims cause its not a factory oil/ oil filter (seen this one happen too!)

You could gain power from penzoil too! it all depends on what weight you run. It does not mean it will be worth it! Also temps and so much more go into the picture when its dyno time. I've seen spark plugs give 32 whp, so its hard to say for sure it was RP that made the diff.

I run mobil 1 10w-30 instead of 5w cause I want the thicker, to pad the bearings from the beating, will it run hotter? maybe, will it hurt anything? no. Id rather save my motor and run forever that make a woppin 4 whp and blow up sooner. Its personal choice! GL

Quick Reply: maintenance costs on EVO?