Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

maintenance costs on EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maintenance costs on EVO?

So I'm pretty new to the EVO community, and I would like to know what the maintenance is like on this car. Expensive? How much attention do you have to pay to the maintenance on the EVOs, esp the IX? I'm coming from an M3 so I'm used to paying high premiums for this so can someone put it in perspective?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:18 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

It's definitely cheaper than your M3 with that 10w60 Castrol. Maintenance is pretty cheap as long as you do the labor yourself. Every shop's Mitchell or Laborkey just lists everything as double time on the Evo over the normal Lancer.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I supply the labor so I'd say maintenance costs me about $100 a year not counting tires.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:37 AM

So one would treat them as any other car? I'm also new to FI. Do FI cars require any special attention? (Turbos, Intercoolers etc)
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, in a sense they do require some special attention. Like if you run your car hard, let the engine cool down a bit before you turn off the car.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you come from a m3 the evo´s maintenance is going to be dirt cheap for you, specially if you do the maintenance yourself which normally excluding tires and brake pads is just fluid change.

turbo engines do need some special attention, for example if its a hot day don´t drive the car like there´s no tomorrow and everytime you drive the car hard or if you drive a long journey when you arrive at your destiny never just turn off the engine you´ll have to wait a minute at idle or so(or get a turbo timer) for the oil and turbo to cool down a bit so the oil doesn´t burn in the turbo.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maintenance on an evo is cheaper than a bmw
Old Jun 30, 2007, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

A little searching goes a long way ... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=maintenance ... Simply use the "Search" tab's down arrow and click on "Advance Search." The key word "maintenance" produces many hits. That's just one of them.

BTW, welcome to the Evo community, sincerely. Please be mindful that the Evo doesn't fare well in side impact collisions. Be well aware of other cars when you cross intersections or turn into oncoming traffic. I don't know what year M3 you had, but BMWs are generally safer cars - in collisions.

Check out this thread to see what I'm talking about ... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=278459
http://kacework.com/JK/crashedevo.jpg
Old Jun 30, 2007, 07:00 AM

^^^^^
Old Jun 30, 2007, 07:09 AM
Account Disabled

maitnance is also going to depend a lot on what your doing with the car. If you track the car at all and have a aggressive set up evo's are known to run through tires and brakes very fast. Its also going to depend on how **** you are about things. I use royal purple and change it every 5k miles but change my filter and add a little oil every 1500, so it gets king of pricey if you drive a lot.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

The maintenance on the Evo isn't any different than any other car; it all depends upon your driving style. If you drive conservatively and stay off the boost most of the time then do fluid changes at the regular intervals. If you drive more aggressively and track it at times then you will have to change the fluids along with other wear and tear items more often. As far as cost just like already been mentioned if you do it yourself you will save a lot of money.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maintenance costs of an Evo are considerably higher than a normal commuter car, but is about the same as a BMW. Synthetic oil and a quality filter are a must (which can cost around $50 per oil change). Manual transmission fluid and drive train fluids have to be changed every 6000-8000 miles as well. The clutch and brakes can be very expensive if you drive aggressively, as well as broken drivetrain parts (transfer case, synchronizers, etc.). Tires for the Evo are also much more expensive than normal cars due to their size, and performance requirements.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Maintenance costs of an Evo are considerably higher than a normal commuter car, but is about the same as a BMW. Synthetic oil and a quality filter are a must (which can cost around $50 per oil change). Manual transmission fluid and drive train fluids have to be changed every 6000-8000 miles as well. The clutch and brakes can be very expensive if you drive aggressively, as well as broken drivetrain parts (transfer case, synchronizers, etc.). Tires for the Evo are also much more expensive than normal cars due to their size, and performance requirements.
How do you compute that an oil change is around $50? A five quart container of Mobil One synthetic is around $26 at Wal-Mart and the OEM oil filter from the dealership is around $7. Unless my handy dandy calculator failed me that adds up to around $33. That's the same it cost me for my 2002 Galant. I will concede that you have to change the transmission and drive train fluids more often. As I said previously how often you pay for wear and tear items (clutch, brakes, tc's) depends upon your driving style. As far as tires are concerned if you are satisfied with a nice set of ultra high performance all season tires then they are not any more expensive than on normal cars.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 07:32 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Drivetrain fluid at 6-8k miles is alittle severe.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:27 PM
Account Disabled

I think I paid $8 for the filter and about $8 a qt for royal purple, so just shy of $50.

Quick Reply: maintenance costs on EVO?