Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Works Ecu just installed, OMG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't rev past 4-5 rpm most of the time, but I just got a reflash ecu and for test reason I drove it to redline. And something else Just knowing you can is Kwel.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROAD/RACE has flash for N.A. Lancers and their turbo. Call them.

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Works Ecu just installed, OMG

Originally posted by tx evo
Just took my car out after getting my Ecu flash at Works. When you hit the throttle it’s so smooth and some of the turbo lag is gone. OMG, I was shifting between 7900-7950 in the first three gears; you can feel the power throughout the entire rev range by the seat of your pants. It feels like a totally different car. All I can say is KICK A$$!!! This is by far the best investment that I have every made in a car.
Thanks David, for everything the flash Ecu totally ROCKS!!!!

Note: 93 Octane flash Ecu. Car is stock with no other mods. David said in a post redline was set at 7850, well I got 7900-7950 this could be because of factor tach.
Do you have a boost guage? Does the boost increase from 19 psi or does it hold that boost pressure (19psi) to redline instead of dropping to 16psi like stock?
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

PLus max torque and HP are right around 5.5 to 6k
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No boost guage. This was my first mod.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 02:11 PM

It seems that the Re-Flash is just meant for a stock Evo. I plan on adding things later. Will this mess up the ECU? Sounds like an awesome investment. Plug and Play!
Old Jun 26, 2003, 02:15 PM
slt
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SikWitIt
Will this mess up the ECU?
I know that other mods will not mess it up. The question I have is whether a different program for exhaust or what not would show much more of a gain than the standard reprogram.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 02:21 PM

I see, well that sounds great. You will have to post which exhaust is going to work the best. I plan on getting the HKS Carbon Fiber wrapped muffler with custom pipin and RMR downpipe.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SikWitIt
I plan on getting the HKS Carbon Fiber wrapped muffler with custom pipin and RMR downpipe.
Be sure you add in a 3" test pipe or 3" high flow cat .... stock cat is too small (2.5") for this set-up
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

David from Works just called me and clarified some things for me...That was a fast reply on their part thanks guys..The ECU seems real nice and I am considering buying it real soon...The only problem I see is additional mods with no ECU reflash to correspond to them.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

hi
how much did you pay for it?
you will still have to redo it when you decide to upgrade even more, isnt this just wasted money?
this just a question not a criticism
Old Jun 27, 2003, 01:00 PM

WORKS ECU reflash: My first impressions

Just installed my newly reflashed ECU from WORKS, and I thought I'd add my impressions to this thread. It is my only mod, and I have a 93 octane flash. I haven't dyno'd anything, or even done timed runs, so the following comments are simply my own subjective impressions.

INSTALL: I believe someone said this already, but install is rediculously simple, even for me.

TURNAROUND TIME: I was nervous about mailing my ECU (this is my daily driver!), but I had my ECU back in hand EXACTLY when I expected. I mailed it Monday, and got it back Thursday morning. Not bad.

POWER CURVE: As tx evo pointed out, the first thing you notice is that you continue to build power right up to (and beyond) redline, which wasn't true stock. It's great! I don't have a boost gauge so I can't tell this for sure, but it feels as if I'm holding strong boost right up through redline, which is by design. Looking at the dyno graphs, I'd say my own subjective experience is precisely what you'd expect if the graphs are correct.

REDLINE: As tx evo (and the folks at WORKS) mentioned, fuel cutoff has been raised. I don't know what to because I didn't push it too much, but I was near 7800-8000 once or twice with no discernable fuel cut.

DRIVABILITY: Just as you'd expect from the dyno plots, the drive is very smooth, very similar to stock except maybe a little more power and it holds power through redline. In fact, if anything I'd say the drive is SMOOTHER than stock, because you don't get that subtle but noticeable decrease in power after 6k rpms. Very nice.

MAX HP/TORQUE: This was the only thing I was dissapointed by. I didn't notice a big increase in power. Mind you, I'm going simply by my butt-dyno, but thrust seemed only slightly more intense than before, if at all. To provide some context, I noticed my TurboXS unichip on my WRX a little more. That said, I suspect that the smooth power curve masks the bump in power a little bit. After my TurboXS unichip, for instance, I could tell right away that I was making more power, but this was largely because of the peaks here and there on the power curve that you couldn't help but notice. Plus, it's easier to tell a 20-30hp increase on a 227hp car than a 271hp car.

So overall, I would say that I am happy with the reflash, am glad I bought it, would buy it again knowing everything that I do now, and think it's worth the money. My experience isn't quite as good as tx evo's, but still, thumbs up here!
Old Jun 27, 2003, 05:49 PM

what is this reflash u guys keep talking about/??...u can't add on more mods if u change ecu????
Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Good for you...

^_^
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by chan816
Good for you...

^_^
wtf is with your attitude...i've read so many posts where you say stupid **** like that...don't read the post if you're gonna be like that

Quick Reply: Works Ecu just installed, OMG