Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

accidental oil change at 600miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2003, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the owners mannuel says 4.8 quarts!!!!

And not to use anything but 5w-30 mobile one.

after my change at the dealer I had one quart left over with about 2 inches of iol in the other quart bottle. This was from a 6 quart case I brought in.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

In the manual it says 4.5 quart.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do you people care what the manual says?????

I dont understand it. If you believe everything the manual says you will also practice the proper shifting points as well.

Care about what the engine needs and tells you. If you put in 4.5 quarts you will have a little too much oil in. Maybe unless you suck all the oil out, or let it drain overnight.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by boostedwrx
Why do you people care what the manual says?????

I dont understand it. If you believe everything the manual says you will also practice the proper shifting points as well.

Care about what the engine needs and tells you. If you put in 4.5 quarts you will have a little too much oil in. Maybe unless you suck all the oil out, or let it drain overnight.
I am just stating a fact. I don't care how much you put in your car.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

i did my 1st oil change around 1700 mi.... i just checked the oil level (3900mi) and i was UNDER THE LOW MARK!!!! i had to add about a quarter and a half! WTF!!

i got one of those 5 quart bottles from walmart (got all of it in there!) when i did the oil change, and i did the whole procedure of running the car and checking.. and it was perfect then!

i wonder what happend!

i'm scared that i've hurt my engine by driving with low oil for a couple thousand miles now! but it seems fine...

i'm about to change the oil again, but now i know to check the next day to make sure that there's enough oil in there.. and i'm strongly thinking about getting an oil pressure gauge!!
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by ru4real
Did you examine your car's original oil that you drained?
Yea, I didn't really see any particles, but the oil was kinda dark and thin. Of course, I'm not aware of how thin synthetic is at all, seeing how this is the first car I've used it for.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by spooldswede
i did my 1st oil change around 1700 mi.... i just checked the oil level (3900mi) and i was UNDER THE LOW MARK!!!! i had to add about a quarter and a half! WTF!!
Dont worry. Mitsu put extra oil in to compensate for the oil that will be burnt during break in. This is normal, I have observed this as well as others. After 2000 miles I used up about 1/4 to 1/2 of a quart. HOWEVER - After that initial consumption of oil, my EVO has NOT ATEN A DROP since. People that say they use a quart between every oil change are seriously eating oil, I don't think this is normal.

I think changing your oil early is the best thing you can do for your car.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Hanzo

I am just stating a fact. I don't care how much you put in your car.
Yes its a fact that the owners manual says that.

Yes its a fact that the owners manual is incorrect in this case. If you follow the owners manual you will have too much oil in your pan.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by boostedwrx
Dont worry. Mitsu put extra oil in to compensate for the oil that will be burnt during break in. This is normal, I have observed this as well as others...
My first 600 miles didn't see a drop loss. It stayed 1/4" above the full mark on the dipstick the whole time. I thought the same thing you did too, but seeing how I wanted to take the car to full boost after breakin, I wanted to drain some of it out, which led to my accidental oil change.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Same here so far at 750 miles, no oil loss. 1/4 inch above the top notch. I hope that is not a problem....quote from manual " ...overfill will cause areation and loss of oil pressure". They are going to inspect the decel tranny noise on Tuesday, maybe I should have them change it then? Will probably be close to a 1k miles at that time.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Also...btw...the oil still looks pretty light.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

G'damn it is hot out already this morning. I just drained my oil to exactly the top notch. 1/8 quart or 150ml came out. I do not think that will be a huge deal. Thought I would share. Also the oil quality looked pretty good.