Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

UPDATE on my car!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^tried that. . I bought a forced performance wg.( thought that was the problem) same problem cotinues lol

So I know my wg is good.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

any ideas? pretty much everything has been tried to fix the problem! boost leak test came out fine and evrything!
Old Jul 7, 2007, 01:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Autometer boost gauges use the hard line which can become kinked, cracked. I have also seen issues with the brass fittings where the line attaches to the boost gauge cutting into the line and causing a leak. If you are using the AM hard vacuum line, get rid of if. Go to the hardware store and pick up a 1/8 npt female to 1/8" hose barb fitting and 5 feet of rubber or silicone vacuum line and re-plumb the boost gauge.

I have also seen boost gauges that do not read correctly or are broken. Check to make sure your needle points at zero when your car is off.

If your gauge is good and you still see only 10 psi boost, take the vacuum line off your WG and use a small screw to plug the line so there is no boost leak. The nipple on the WG should be not be capped (nothing should be on it) Set up like this, you should make as much boost as your turbo can make. Test drive the car and see if you make more than 10 psi boost. Let off if you see more than 20 psi. If you made more than 10 psi, then your MBC is not hooked up correctly. If you didnt, then you have a boost leak, exhaust leak, WG malfunction, or your exhaust is clogged.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Just for the hell of it, do you have any logs? And did the car ever opperate normally with the same mods you have on the car?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Try putting 91 octane and a sh!$ load of octane booster and next time dont put 87 oactane in your car. I know I did the same thing once and it wouldn't let me boost over 10psi. It would just sputter and go no where.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Most likely 87 will only affect boost if you are still having the ECU control boost. He is not. the stock "low octane" map is super conservative for this purpose.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

I dont have ECU controlled boost and it still affected it Big time.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if it's not mechanical it might be the comp. my z32 was in safe mode boosting @3-5 psi. (10-12 was normal). it still ran and pulled good, just not over 5 psi. the tune might be no good or the computer might just be bad. i would assume there is no codes or lights on are there? oh, yeah, it was affected by my knock sensor also.

Last edited by heavens turbo; Jul 9, 2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

I've done logs, and got no knock. No I would NEVER put 87 octane in my car!! only premium! My car hasn't ran right with these mods (but I have the same problem that I had even before the mods, a boost problem. Which we thought was a bad wastegate)

I've tried turning the car back to the stock tune and everything. And still the same result. Its wierd, if I put a boost controller on, and run it at the lowest setting I run 10-12 psi. If I run open wastegate (which should boost beyond 30psi) I boost 10-12psi. . . . And I tried a different boost gauge so the gauge isn't bad. . Once I hit 10-12 psi it just doesn't want to build boost anymore. It's wierd though, yesterday morning I was able to get to around 15psi, but it was a little cooler outside. .

The only check engine light that I am getting, is for my egr valve.
Here's another wierd thing that I just remembered. . .
I had a Turbo xs mbc on there when this all started (and it was hooked up wrong. It was going from the wastegate line right into the stock solenoid)
I was only able to get to 20psi (Because the mbc was hooked up wrong more than likely lol) But one day when I got to the track I couldn't get over 13psi, Even tried running open wastegate and still couldn't. Then about 3 days later, I couldn't get over 6-8 psi ( so I assumed it was the wastegate) And now with the FP wastegate I still can't get over 12psi!

Any advice? Thanks everyone!!!
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
If you are getting an EGR code, then look on the back of your intake manifold about 6 inches under your throttle body for loose vacuum lines. You most likely popped 1 or both of them off. That can cause erratic boost.

I would also do another boost leak test. The EGR lines should have shown up on the boost leak test. Maybe, you didnt do it right.

Last edited by TeStUdO; Jul 10, 2007 at 05:14 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Nope, no lines are popped off. . Right behind and under the throttle body right?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Subrwho, this is the best thread I have seen regarding the EGR:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ighlight=p0401
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Testudo, you the man!!!

I looked at that thread that you posted, went out and found the line disconnected! I re-connected it, now I am goinna go buy some new spark plugs (because in that thread it said it could foul them) and then i'll reset my ecu. Maybe my ecu is in safe mode? and thats why I cant boost?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Good deal. I hope that solves your issues.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Is it possible that thats the reason why I cant boost over 12psi? I went for a drive just now (to get food) and still couldnt get past 12psi, But I also only took the neg. battery cable off for 30 seconds. . .

Quick Reply: UPDATE on my car!!