Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

UPDATE on my car!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to try another boost leak test this weekend. (although last week we couldnt hear any leaks at 20psi)
Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Tried the stock bov. . same result. . .
Old Jul 11, 2007, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by subrwho
Going to try another boost leak test this weekend. (although last week we couldnt hear any leaks at 20psi)
I suggest you put soapy water around all the intercooler connections and turbo outlet. It might make a leak easier to see. You are running a gauge on the boost leak tester right?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 05:19 AM
mot
Evolved Member

soapy water helps but this is no tiny boost leak
he has somethng weird and very wrong with the car
whenever i boost leak test i put it up to 25-30psi just be careful
also you might wanna do a test to the engine
do a boost leak test at the throttle body and ipen the throttle body see if anything is leaking there

OT: also how does a boost leak test find leaks in the intake manifold if the throttle body is closed? does that make sense? shouldnt that be sealed
Old Jul 11, 2007, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mot
soapy water helps but this is no tiny boost leak
he has somethng weird and very wrong with the car
whenever i boost leak test i put it up to 25-30psi just be careful
also you might wanna do a test to the engine
do a boost leak test at the throttle body and ipen the throttle body see if anything is leaking there

OT: also how does a boost leak test find leaks in the intake manifold if the throttle body is closed? does that make sense? shouldnt that be sealed
The throttle body doesn't seal completely when closed. If I did, I don't think you could get any air at idle. When I would test it at the turbo, I would have air leaking out of my oil cap above 10psi.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Well I still have the same problem, it's starting to seem that this problem is going to be with me for a long time

I've tried many things, and replaced quite a few parts, and still nothing.
I've asked people in Utah if maybe someone would meet up with me to take a look and see if something isn't right, but it seems no one is willing
Old Jul 24, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Let me get his straight. You changed all of the following to no avail: MBC, BOV, Wastegate actuator, hotside, etc? You have no boost leak and cannot get above 10-12 psi. My only suggestions (sorry if you already tried, just trying to help.)

1. The WGA you are trying do not have preload on them. Doubtful and probably tried.
2. Make sure everything pre-turbo (exhaust side) is secured and not leaking. Manifold, etc.
3. Check everything pre-turbo (Cold side) Intake for obstructions or anything that could choke off the air intake.
4. I saw a thread one time when somebody left a paper towel in an intercooler pipe! (It happened once before, so don't laugh!)

When doing all of your tests, only change one variable at a time. Leave other items in question, constant. In other words, put on a known working MBC, a known working BOV, and test whatever you want with an open wastegate. (Should boost to 30+ psi.)

It could also be that two items are not working. So when you tried fixing one, the other one shadows the effect.

Keep us updated! Good luck!